Embroidering eyes? I need help fast! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-23-2008, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aaack, I'm trying to finish DD1's Christmas gift from me....a waldorf doll. It's going great, but I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to the eyes. I'm using Joy's pattern, and it just says to embroider them. Which of course might be fine for someone who knows how LOL. I understand the basics but how do I make it look like a round eye? I found decent instructions, but they make more of a sleeping baby eye and this is not a baby doll. Please help me!

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#2 of 6 Old 12-23-2008, 12:34 AM

Sorry, no help just wanted to say I have no idea how to embroider either, I just winged it.
They look fine but they aren't perfectly round by any means. The kids don't seem to mind.
#3 of 6 Old 12-23-2008, 01:05 AM

Oh jeez. That is EXACTLY what I came here looking for. I'm on my third go-round with the eyes on ds2's doll.

I know how to embroider them, I just can't get them to look nice. :

A happy woman
#4 of 6 Old 12-23-2008, 01:58 AM

First find the triangle placement for your eye and mouth features using colored ball headed pins. An isosceles triangle gives a younger appearance. The eyes should fall directly onto the eye line where your string is tied underneath the skin tone knit. The mouth should be 1/2 way between the neck and the eye line.
You need about 22" of floss for a pair of eyes on a 16" Waldorf doll head. You split the floss into 2 sections of 3 strands each. Run each section through beeswax a few times and then thread onto your 5" long doll sculpting needle. Remove the first eye placement pin and pass the needle through this place going from the front where your first eye pin was located to the back of the head, leaving the long strand in the front and tying off in the back. Rethread the floss that is left in the front onto a small embroidery needle. I like to make several vertical stitches about 1/8-3/16" where the eye will be, before I start my horizontal satin stitches, shaping the eye into a round or oval, or into a crescent shape for Asian or very smiling, crinkly type eyes- I do not find square eyes appealing, but some people do. I find that if I count my stitches, it is easier to match the second eye to the first. Once you are happy and done with the first eye rethread the floss onto the long sculpting needle and pass back to the back of the hear and tie off. The repeat with the 2nd section of floss for the second eye.

The mouth is done with the complete set of 6 strands of floss and I find about 18" is sufficient to embroider a sweet smile. I wax the floss and thread the large sculpting needle again, passing from front to back, leaving the long strand in the front and tying off in the back of the head. I make this first pass 1/4" to the left of the mouth placement pin. Then rethread onto the small embroidery needle and make a stitch 1/4" to the right side of the mouth placement pin, which I now remove. I then make another stitch, slightly smaller than the first just inside of the first, to make the bottom lip, rethreading onto the large needle and passing the floss through to the back of the head on the last part of the mouth stitch, and tie off. HTH.
#5 of 6 Old 12-23-2008, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I did finally figure it out. I read here, read some old posts, and made something up LOL because I was just really having a hard time making the shape resemble an eye even LOL. Here's what I did: one horizontal line, with a smaller one on top and bottom, and then 1 vertical and 2 diagonal...kind of lashy looking. I followed these instructions and added the vertical and diagonal lines based on something else someone said on here somewhere. http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=IMG_2219.jpg

Amy, USCG wife and homeschooling, ebfing, homebirthing Mama to M (8), L (6), L (2.5)
#6 of 6 Old 09-27-2013, 08:07 AM

EVLowi, I realize that this thread is a million years old, but I found your description today and it's the most clear and helpful one that I've found on the internet. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page