So, who all got a new sewing machine or serger for Christmas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-25-2008, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not me...but I'm excited for anyone who did.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2008, 07:53 AM

Me! I can't unpack it, because I have an essay due, but I'm excited.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:56 PM

Congratulations! :

You didn't get the old beast going again then? Here's to a year of plentiful sewing.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Woohoo! Can't wait to see how you like it. Well...actually come to think of it, I did get a new machine. I purchased a machine off ebay that is missing the cord. I've ordered a cord for it and am just waiting for it to arrive and to see if the machine actually works. Fingers crossed.

Old 12-27-2008, 01:33 AM

We got my daughter a kid's sewing machine for Christmas. The machine is basically crap, but I think she'll have fun with it making small projects. We also got her material and patterns, and I've spent a few hours with her over the past couple of days helping her learn to make a pair of pants. So far, she really likes it.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:28 AM

I got a sewing machine for christmas I have absolutely no idea how to use it, but I'm excited to learn!
Old 12-27-2008, 03:48 AM

I got a serger. It's been fun to use. (I didn't wait for the 25th to fire it up!). It's like riding a bike. I haven't used one in 8? 10? years, but I was back at it like a pro.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 12-27-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
Congratulations! :

You didn't get the old beast going again then? Here's to a year of plentiful sewing.
The cost of fixing it was more than half the cost of my new machine... it's heading off to ebay shortly, though I'm not expecting to get much for it.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:06 PM

I bought it in October but it was my super-early Christmas present. Does that count?

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by leximom View Post
I got a sewing machine for christmas I have absolutely no idea how to use it, but I'm excited to learn!
ditto! DH and I went to a fabric store today and I didn't buy anything because it was so overwhelming.

19 yr old
12 yr old
5 yr old
Old 12-29-2008, 01:16 PM

We got dd one (she is 7) and both of us...it will be learning process. We can get lessons where we bought it. We happened into a good sale before Christmas and they had two left so when dh and dd were busy I got to buy.

We have just been messing around a little bit, I did not want to get a kid's machine and did not want to spend 500 bucks on one in case we don't stick with it....overall so far, so good. We will look into lessons though.
So far she is happy with cutting and sewing thigs together, we did make a simple valentine pillow though. VERY SIMPLE

:energ y
Old 12-30-2008, 05:06 AM

Total surprise, but my DH got me a Bernina 830. (old one) He found it at Savers for $15! He got it serviced and it runs great. Supposedly it was like "the perfect machine" in its day and is still worth a lot. I have a 130 or something in there but I like this old one even better for some things. I guess I'm now a multiple machine owner, not that I have anywhere to put even one!

Now to go buy more fabric......

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
Old 12-30-2008, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sept04mama View Post
Total surprise, but my DH got me a Bernina 830. (old one) He found it at Savers for $15! He got it serviced and it runs great. Supposedly it was like "the perfect machine" in its day and is still worth a lot. I have a 130 or something in there but I like this old one even better for some things. I guess I'm now a multiple machine owner, not that I have anywhere to put even one!

Rocking DH! That's an awesome machine. I have an 801 and 807 and really dig them both. Happy Sewing!

Old 12-30-2008, 07:34 PM

how great i was just coming on here to try to learn SOMETHING
Dh surprised me for xmas BIG surprise I had no idea! It's a singer not sure which one but its very automatic and has i think 40 stitches. I learned how to thread the bobin and the machine and started playing around with it on an old t shirt. I was very proud

Now I want to try to sew dd some wool pants, and hem a few pairs of jeans.... I just got back from joann's with pins, elastic and safety pins so excited. I've been sewing by hand, and making a pair of felted sweater pants took me all day, then as soon as dd wore them they ripped in the crotch guess i didn't do it right, they also kept falling down her butt whens he bent over because i didn't do the elastic right haaaa
Old 01-03-2009, 02:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sept04mama View Post

Whoa! that is AMAZING!! That's the machine that I have been using my whole life, it was my grandmas and she got it 50 years ago. It still works great!!

That is incredible! Where did he find it?

I love Berninas
Old 01-03-2009, 02:30 AM

Oh, I see, he got it at Savers.... where's that?

Unbelievable deal :
Old 01-03-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
Oh, I see, he got it at Savers.... where's that?

Unbelievable deal :
Savers is a thrift store. We have one down the road that my friend is always finding cool stuff at.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
Savers is a thrift store. We have one down the road that my friend is always finding cool stuff at.

I'm completely jealous That DH deserves a big congratulations
Old 01-03-2009, 03:43 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I did! Last year I'm totally intimidated and still haven't taken it out of the box but my New Year's Resolution is to actually finish and use some of the things I have on hand instead of finding new project to start (or think about starting).
Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 AM

My daughter did (she's 5.5)! She has been bugging us for this kid's Singer sewing machine she saw in a learning catalog but I could tell it was probably a piece of crap. So instead we (and by we I mean Santa) got her a mint green Janome with Hello Kitty on it. It's a 3/4 size and does 10 stitches.

She loves it! It is very easy to thread and runs very smooth. I hate to admit it but I think I like it better than my full-size Pfaff.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Get that machine out of the box and get to stitching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
I did! Last year I'm totally intimidated and still haven't taken it out of the box but my New Year's Resolution is to actually finish and use some of the things I have on hand instead of finding new project to start (or think about starting).

Old 01-09-2009, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
lol, I got you beat....DH gave me a Babylock serger for Christmas '06 and it's still in the box. I got pregnant shortly after that....morning sickness, college, work, and life prevented me from using it. I was actually hoping to start using it this week. Maybe that'll be my goal for tomorrow.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:35 AM

We bought ourselves an early Christmas present (Babylock Eclipse DX) in November. It sat in the box for over a month, because it was so intimidating. We're starting to use it now. Very slooooooowly. lol

Last Christmas brought a Singer Quantum Futura embroidery machine. Now THAT machine has gotten TONS of use.

Jen
Loving partner to Gia rainbow1284.gif and mama to heartbeat.gif (9/06) and A heartbeat.gif (1/09)

Old 01-14-2009, 06:32 PM

I just barely sat down to my new serger yesterday I was intimidated too! I read the threading instructions and got scared. I'm loving it now though! It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:35 PM

My MIL sent me a Pfaff It has a cabinet and everything. I've been watching youtube to learn how to thread it; I'm as clueless as I am eager.

Lucy, mama to Silas and Adelaide
Old 01-15-2009, 04:16 PM

Me! I got a Kenmore serger for Christmas from my sweet DH and kids. I started it out by making a few more cloth pads for that lovely time of month. It does an awesome job and is much faster than just sewing and topstitching. It is great to have in addition to my regular Singer sewing machine.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:55 PM

i got a singer serger for Christmas. Bless my husband's heart! I made some cloth wipes on it as soon as i opened it. It was so fun!

It keeps coming unthreaded. The left upper needle, how is that possible, i do not know.

My husband is very mechanically inclined and he cannot even figure it out. It might be going back.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkincat View Post
i got a singer serger for Christmas. Bless my husband's heart! I made some cloth wipes on it as soon as i opened it. It was so fun!

It keeps coming unthreaded. The left upper needle, how is that possible, i do not know.

My husband is very mechanically inclined and he cannot even figure it out. It might be going back.
Is it breaking the thread?

I'm having a hard time picturing the "left upper needle"
Old 01-28-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
Is it breaking the thread?

I'm having a hard time picturing the "left upper needle"
No, it does not break, it just comes unthreaded, even tho i have a long chain. I cannot even see how it slips out of the eye of the needle.

By the upper needle, i mean the needles that you thread.

I really want to get good at sewing. It seems that machines to not like me so much all the time. LOL
Old 01-29-2009, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkincat View Post
No, it does not break, it just comes unthreaded, even tho i have a long chain. I cannot even see how it slips out of the eye of the needle.

By the upper needle, i mean the needles that you thread.

I really want to get good at sewing. It seems that machines to not like me so much all the time. LOL

One of my machines will do that. Before you begin to sew make sure you have a long tail of thread under the pressure foot, pull it toward the back of the machine and hold on to it when you begin to sew, you'll only need to do that for a few stitches.

User Tag List