What's your dream sewing machine? *update #20* - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2009, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
http://www.bernina8series.com/content-n23-sE.html

My dream machine is the thirteen thousand dollar new Bernina 830, which you can see at the link above. I will also get a Koala or Horn sewing studio and a Babylock serger with "whoosh" threading.

Toolip, I love your plans for making your dreams a reality.

I would love to find a Bernina on Craigslist, and I check every day, but there is an ebay reseller who posts in every city in Texas asking to buy up Berninas. Sigh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2009, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasuremapper View Post

My dream machine is the thirteen thousand dollar new Bernina 830, which you can see at the link above. I will also get a Koala or Horn sewing studio and a Babylock serger with "whoosh" threading.

I would love to find a Bernina on Craigslist, and I check every day, but there is an ebay reseller who posts in every city in Texas asking to buy up Berninas. Sigh.
Are the OLD 830s any good?
Old 07-11-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom View Post
That's what I've been using for years!! It is wonderful

The reason that they came out with the new 830 as the top-of-the-line was because the old one was such a huge hit, they're trying to relive that

It still sells now for the same price it did 30 years ago!!
Old 07-11-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom View Post
Quote:

lol! I guess you could say that the new 830 is still on my dream list Honestly though, when I did the demo at the dealer, I couldn't really see what justified the 13 grand I told the dealer that it would be the first thing that I come and buy after I win the lotto.

As far as my new 430, I looked for 6 months and found such a good deal that I just couldn't pass it up
Old 07-11-2009, 03:01 PM

I don't get why there is such a price range. 13K is a huge chunk of money! Is there really THAT huge of a difference? Is it lined with diamonds or something?
Old 07-11-2009, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My dream sewing machine is my 1950 Singer Featherweight. When I bought my newest sewing machine (Kenmore, 7 years ago), I got what I wanted for $300, on sale, new, at Sears. And I don't use most of the stitches that it comes with. It's my 3rd Kenmore. I alternate between the Featherweight and the Kenmore in my sewing, depending on what I'm sewing.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
Old 07-11-2009, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Toolip, I didn't realize you got it!!!! Yay for you!! Please post pix of it in your sewing room for us to dream about. What are you going to do with your old 830?

Does your 430 do embroidery??? now I want one, too.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
That's what I've been using for years!! It is wonderful

It still sells now for the same price it did 30 years ago!!
This is so good to hear! I just got an old 830 from a friend of my mom - my mom has the Bernina 435 mentioned above. I believe the machine belonged to this woman's mother who was a home ec teacher many moons ago. I'm so excited! Now to find some space to set the thing up (and some time out of my work schedule to sew).

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
Old 07-12-2009, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Toolip, I didn't realize you got it!!!! Yay for you!! Please post pix of it in your sewing room for us to dream about. What are you going to do with your old 830?

Does your 430 do embroidery??? now I want one, too.
My "sewing room" is really nothing to dream about It looks like a card table in the living room with scraps of fabric and unfolded laundry strewn about. There's also some cats that really love to help with sewing projects :

I'm giving the 830 back to my mom... it was really hers all along. I was just "borrowing" it

The "e" part of the 430e (the machine that I got) stands for embroidery. You can get the 430 alone but the woman I was buying it from was only selling the 430e. I was not planning on getting the embroidery unit because I couldn't imagine myself using it but she was selling it for such a great deal that I couldn't pass it up. I just got the machine repaired (it was damaged during shipping) so I haven't gotten to try embroidery yet. I'm scared! Everyone has said that I will love it when I try it... I hope so!
Old 07-12-2009, 03:58 PM

I got my Bernina 230PE on eBay from a reputable seller - LOVE it.

Worth the $900 I paid and probably more.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
Old 07-13-2009, 04:36 PM

I have the activa 220. Worth the $800 clams.

I too want to be Toolip's BFF.

Amy at Stone Fence Farm
:

User Tag List