Making Baby-T's out of onesies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
 
junipermuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,130
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
So I've been knitting longies lately, but I find it hard to find matching baby t-shirts. So I bought some cute baby onesies that I was hoping to turn into onesies. I have a serger, but I'm new at using it. I was thinking of just cutting off the bottom and serging around the edge. Has anyone done this? Would it work. Should I try to hem it instead? I haven't worked much sewing with knits, so I'm worried about trying to hem it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jennifer, mama to darling dancing Juliette, and sweet baby Jameson
junipermuse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-24-2009, 11:38 AM
 
mommy2abigail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,858
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did this too, just cut and serge. Use Wooly Nylon thread in the loopers though, it is soft and stretchy.
mommy2abigail is offline  
Old 01-24-2009, 03:35 PM
 
thixle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 2,945
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you can do a serged ruffly edge by adjusting the feed- make the fabric s-t-r-e-t-c-h and you get a perfect lettuce edge. it helps to practice on the cut off part of the onesie, and make your shirt 1" or so longer than you want in case you don't like your first pass.

---feeling like an emu on acid---
thixle is offline  
Old 01-28-2009, 03:27 PM
 
My*Scorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Troy, Michigan
Posts: 1,280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thixle View Post
you can do a serged ruffly edge by adjusting the feed- make the fabric s-t-r-e-t-c-h and you get a perfect lettuce edge. it helps to practice on the cut off part of the onesie, and make your shirt 1" or so longer than you want in case you don't like your first pass.
: Or if it's for a girl, you can just cut it off and it will roll up a bit.

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
My*Scorpio is offline  
Old 01-31-2009, 01:52 AM
 
angelandmisha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe I'm just super lazy but- my ds has gotten too long for some of his onesies so I just used a rotary cutter and cut off the bottom and didn't bother hemming. I've washed them several times with no fraying, etc.
angelandmisha is offline  
Old 02-10-2009, 05:37 PM
 
bridget3344's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelandmisha View Post
Maybe I'm just super lazy but- my ds has gotten too long for some of his onesies so I just used a rotary cutter and cut off the bottom and didn't bother hemming. I've washed them several times with no fraying, etc.
Yeah, I've seen a couple people do this. If you tuck them in then you can't tell the difference.
bridget3344 is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 12:16 PM
 
gruver's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm wanting to do this but i don't have a serger. i'll try the not hemming/cutting with a rotary cutter, but if that doesn't work, can i make it work without a serger?
gruver is offline  
Old 07-04-2009, 10:22 PM
 
orangefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oxfordshire UK
Posts: 3,051
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We ECd dd from birth so onesies were no use to us. I cut them all off with scissors and left them like that.

Knits don't fray so you can just leave them but if you want to you can turn a small single hem and zig zag on top. If you stretch the fabric as you zig zag you will get a wavy edge so if you don't want that I'd use the scrap that you cut off to practice on first!
orangefoot is offline  
Old 07-05-2009, 12:08 PM
 
spmamma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruver View Post
i'm wanting to do this but i don't have a serger. i'll try the not hemming/cutting with a rotary cutter, but if that doesn't work, can i make it work without a serger?
My girlfriend recently did this and it worked out great. All she did was turn the hem under a bit and topstitch it. They look great!

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
spmamma is offline  
Old 07-06-2009, 06:25 PM
 
earthknitter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: US
Posts: 94
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just cut mine straight, looks fine!

Blessed mama to 3 ::
earthknitter is offline  
Old 07-07-2009, 09:16 PM
 
Silvercrest79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Mid-Michigan
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by junipermuse View Post
So I've been knitting longies lately, but I find it hard to find matching baby t-shirts. So I bought some cute baby onesies that I was hoping to turn into onesies. I have a serger, but I'm new at using it. I was thinking of just cutting off the bottom and serging around the edge. Has anyone done this? Would it work. Should I try to hem it instead? I haven't worked much sewing with knits, so I'm worried about trying to hem it. Any advice would be appreciated.
I did exactly that. Laid the onesie flat and cut along above the binding cutting it and the crotch piece off then I serged around the thread in matching or coordinating fabrics. I have a girl so I like to stretch it a bit to give it that lettuce edge look plus they were really stretchy like that. You don't have to serge but I think the bottom might roll up if it isn't.

I hated onesies with CDs but they make wonderful cute and inexpensive t-shirts!

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

Silvercrest79 is offline  
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off