anyone know of a good pattern/tutorial for fabric boxes/baskets? - Mothering Forums
Arts & Crafts > anyone know of a good pattern/tutorial for fabric boxes/baskets?
dds07's Avatar dds07 03:09 PM 01-26-2009
Looking for something about laundry basket size. Not cardboard, but fabric--anyone know of anything??

busylizzybee's Avatar busylizzybee 06:33 PM 01-26-2009
I had these bookmarked- they are both much smaller than what you are looking for but maybe the could be sized up with extra layers added for sturdiness or heavier duty utility fabric used- not sure, just thought I'd send them your way.
http://vintagericrac.blogspot.com/20...h-buckets.html

and this one does use cardboard inserts but maybe you can think of alternatives...

http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...age-cubes.html

cristeen's Avatar cristeen 08:53 PM 01-26-2009
It kind of depends what you're planning on doing with something that size, since a lot of materials won't stand up to a lot of weight... but I've made boxes with heavy-duty interfacing, I've made padded boxes with batting over posterboard, you can even use plastic canvas as your firm center - which is washable, but not machine dryable.
dds07's Avatar dds07 09:27 PM 01-26-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
It kind of depends what you're planning on doing with something that size, since a lot of materials won't stand up to a lot of weight...
Mainly for organizing...like one at the top and bottom of the stairs, for piles that need a container around the house--toys, diapers in more locations, etc...
simplymother's Avatar simplymother 04:32 AM 01-27-2009
Hey, that tutorial for storage cubes was great! Thank you for posting!
LittleSoulMama's Avatar LittleSoulMama 07:41 AM 03-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by busylizzybee View Post
I had these bookmarked- they are both much smaller than what you are looking for but maybe the could be sized up with extra layers added for sturdiness or heavier duty utility fabric used- not sure, just thought I'd send them your way.
http://vintagericrac.blogspot.com/20...h-buckets.html

and this one does use cardboard inserts but maybe you can think of alternatives...

http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...age-cubes.html
These are great! Thanks for the links
tracyb928's Avatar tracyb928 01:01 PM 03-03-2009
I love the look of these although haven't tried them yet:
http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Mer...TORAGE_BASKETS
Juvysen's Avatar Juvysen 01:10 PM 03-03-2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb928 View Post
I love the look of these although haven't tried them yet:
http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Mer...TORAGE_BASKETS
I love those!
mamavegan's Avatar mamavegan 03:57 PM 04-06-2009
I'm making the storage baskets from jcaroline creative - thanks Tracy! I'm at step 13 and am having trouble figuring out how to get the corner under the needle to sew the side edge to the front piece from the bottom up. Do I just smush the heck out of it and hope for the best? It's just really awkward and I'm a novice sewer, so I'm not sure.

ETA: Nvm. I figured it out.
Up