anyone know of a good pattern/tutorial for fabric boxes/baskets? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 9 Old 01-26-2009, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for something about laundry basket size. Not cardboard, but fabric--anyone know of anything??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-26-2009, 05:33 PM

I had these bookmarked- they are both much smaller than what you are looking for but maybe the could be sized up with extra layers added for sturdiness or heavier duty utility fabric used- not sure, just thought I'd send them your way.
http://vintagericrac.blogspot.com/20...h-buckets.html

and this one does use cardboard inserts but maybe you can think of alternatives...

http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...age-cubes.html
#3 of 9 Old 01-26-2009, 07:53 PM

It kind of depends what you're planning on doing with something that size, since a lot of materials won't stand up to a lot of weight... but I've made boxes with heavy-duty interfacing, I've made padded boxes with batting over posterboard, you can even use plastic canvas as your firm center - which is washable, but not machine dryable.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 9 Old 01-26-2009, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
It kind of depends what you're planning on doing with something that size, since a lot of materials won't stand up to a lot of weight...
Mainly for organizing...like one at the top and bottom of the stairs, for piles that need a container around the house--toys, diapers in more locations, etc...
#5 of 9 Old 01-27-2009, 03:32 AM

Hey, that tutorial for storage cubes was great! Thank you for posting!

--Kate, home/unschooling mom two three girls (6, 3, and Tiny)
#6 of 9 Old 03-03-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busylizzybee View Post
I had these bookmarked- they are both much smaller than what you are looking for but maybe the could be sized up with extra layers added for sturdiness or heavier duty utility fabric used- not sure, just thought I'd send them your way.
http://vintagericrac.blogspot.com/20...h-buckets.html

and this one does use cardboard inserts but maybe you can think of alternatives...

http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...age-cubes.html
These are great! Thanks for the links

Mothering a beautiful boy

#7 of 9 Old 03-03-2009, 12:01 PM

I love the look of these although haven't tried them yet:
http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Mer...TORAGE_BASKETS

DD Emma, 3 yrs and #2 Sept 10
#8 of 9 Old 03-03-2009, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyb928 View Post
I love the look of these although haven't tried them yet:
http://www.jcarolinecreative.com/Mer...TORAGE_BASKETS
I love those!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#9 of 9 Old 04-06-2009, 02:57 PM

I'm making the storage baskets from jcaroline creative - thanks Tracy! I'm at step 13 and am having trouble figuring out how to get the corner under the needle to sew the side edge to the front piece from the bottom up. Do I just smush the heck out of it and hope for the best? It's just really awkward and I'm a novice sewer, so I'm not sure.

ETA: Nvm. I figured it out.

DS1 2-17-07 DS2 1-1-09
mdcblog5.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page