Want to make mama bird AIOs... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2009, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...But I have seen comments that these come out small. This is my first diaper making adventure, and I would like to know that I am doing it right before I start out. Has anyone used these patterns for a newborn, and what are your experiences? Any tips on used materials are also welcome - what should I use for the cover that is waterproof and can be machine washed all the time?

Thanks!

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2009, 05:38 PM

Hi there - I made the mama bird aio a while back, but in a med or large, so I can' speak for the nb size. I went ahead and bought PUL off the internet, but I've heard people mention you could try a crib mattress pad or maybe a shower curtain somehow...

To be honest, mine took forever and a day to dry, so I ended up trashing them! Can you believe it? I'm talking 2 full dryer cycles and still not dry. I was so frustrated with them. I switched to sewing pockets or fitteds...

As for fit, the pockets I made wiht the pattern turned out pretty good. It's my dh's favorite dipe and they are just now getting a little short in the rise after almost a year of use. : )

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the warning - I might try doing the fitted dipes instead.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
Old 02-01-2009, 04:12 AM

I've recently started making NB dipes for my yet to be born babe. I made the Mama Bird (fitted, not AIO) and modified it to not have the side ruffles. It came out way too small IMO. So, I used the pattern as-is, but put the elastic to the edge (made it without a ruffle) and it seems to be the right size according to some size estimates of commercial fitteds that I've seen. Don't know if that helps.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Old 02-01-2009, 02:59 PM

They came out really small for me too.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:24 AM

You know, mittenskittens, you could still make aio's, just watch how many layers you put in it. I probably just made mine too thick (I don't remember how many, it's been too long). You can always lay a doubler in the dipe if it doesn't absorb enough for you. you could also order some microfiber online (or buy some from the car cleaning section at walmart). That way you'd probably only need 2 layers for your soaker and it wouldn't dry so slowly.

Let us know how they turn out.

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:47 AM

Also wanted to add that I have some Kushies AIOs and they have this nice inner layer that's just attached at the top (back of the waist) and then flips up to make drying faster. Does that make sense?

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
Old 02-02-2009, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I am still looking around at the moment. I would really like to have AIOs because of the convenience, but I also don't want to wait forever for them to dry, and I line dry. After looking around on the web a bit more, I am thinking of buying a pattern as well.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to share that my first two diapers are ready, and look great!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM

What pattern did you end up with? Can you post some pics?

Old 02-04-2009, 03:48 PM

I have used that pattern but I started with a medium size. I think they turned out GREAT! : I just opted to not use velcro or snaps and use pins. I do not really go for the aio though because of the dry time. I did however make a cover using a shower curtain in the middle as my waterproofing. That works out great for me. I put the lining in the middle to avoid having any tears in the vinyl.
With Summer coming up I am not planning on using a cover at all. I don't want his bottom getting too hot. And I doubt he will be wearing pants or shorts during the day unless we go somewhere. So I won't have to worry much about leaks.
I think how I avoided having the pattern come out too small is because I have a tendency to work big anyway.
BTW I do have a pic on my own website showing what my diapers look like after I tweaked the pattern and added some touches of my own.
www.wk.net/sew4you
I don't have a ton of pictures up yet, I have taken a bit of a break from sewing for a while but I am getting back on track now.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

I'd love to post up some pics - they turned out great - but I don't have flickr or anything, but if anyone knows how I can get them up simply, I will . I ended up with a totally different pattern - this one http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/im...orn_fitted.pdf.

Also I did fitteds instead of AIOs, and have yet to sew the cover (I am actually waiting for the PUL to arrive).

Old 02-04-2009, 05:09 PM

Mittens - I made one Shar's NB and it seemed really small too. Do you mind posting the dimensions of your finished Shar's dipe?

Old 02-04-2009, 06:06 PM

I have noticed that newborn diapers *look* really small but then when I put them on a real newborn, they end up being huge. But only for a week or two. Newborns are so little and mine have skinny legs for the first couple weeks, then fatten right up. I almost think I would skip newborn size if I did it again. Just begin w/ smalls. But ymmv. It depends on how big your babies are too.

As for drying time for AIOs, I love AIO styles but that is definitely a problem. I made some with less soaker on the inside but used lay-in soakers. Some people sew them as a flap or else use snaps, but they stayed put fine in our diapers. We used Chloe Toes. The fit is really great. I tried lots of different diapers (both purchased and home-sewn) before switching entirely to those.

I like PUL best for the outside. I can get Ultrex locally but it is not as nice and you can't get nice colors. Plus it was harder to sew. PUL was worth the extra cost to buy online and pay shipping.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama View Post
Mittens - I made one Shar's NB and it seemed really small too. Do you mind posting the dimensions of your finished Shar's dipe?
They're 37 cm length wise, and 15 in the middle. My newborn is 47 cm long at the moment, so perhaps smaller than the average newborn (I know DD was much larger). You'd probably have to convert that into inches to make sense

I've already got four now, ended up with materials specially bought but have now gone over to things I had already lying round the house, which is working great too! And it's much cheaper too, obviously!

Old 02-04-2009, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

And I've got a stupid question too - what do you do for the covers? Do you make them the same size as the fitted dipe, or just a bit bigger, and if so, how much bigger?

User Tag List