Peachtree City GA Wal-Mart is getting rid of their sewing department! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 02-11-2009, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Peachtree City GA Wal-Mart is getting rid of their sewing department!
I was told today that they are doing away with the fabric/sewing department at the Peachtree City Wal-Mart! I drive from Newnan to do all my grocery shopping there just so I can buy fabric. I know that they make more money from electronics (the department they are expanding), but I wonder if they have taken into account that people like me spend our money there every week because we are drawn by the large sewing department. Is there anything we can do to stop it? If I have to shop at our local fabric stores, it will no longer save me money to sew anything. At the very least maybe we can call and voice our opinions.

Wal-Mart Supercenter
Store # 3461 Peachtree City
770-632-6373
#2 of 17 Old 02-11-2009, 01:31 AM

im pretty sure walmarts across America have been considering this for over a year or more theres nothing you can really do as far as i know they will all fade out of this dept. soon.

bfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifmomsling.GIFsewmachine.gifknit.gifMama to Gavin, Lily, and Soren 
#3 of 17 Old 02-11-2009, 05:34 PM

oh i know how you feel. Ours nearby went out withen a month. My husband actually works in automotive and they all found out the day they put fabric on sale. It started out 50% off and my husband told me and by the time i went there (2 days later) they was completely sold out of the fabric. So if you buy alot from them i would recommend stocking up the day they go on sale because nothing will be left. whats bad is there is not another place around that sales fabric for 40 miles. So i have not started any projects and probably wont unless i really want it.

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
#4 of 17 Old 02-11-2009, 05:40 PM

our 'supercenter' walmart got rid of the sewing department too and the one we have left is pathetic. I don't see it lasting long. the only other fabric store is double to triple the prices for the same stuff

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#5 of 17 Old 02-18-2009, 04:15 PM

They are all closing their sewing departments so i doubt there is anything you can do to stop it.

Do you have a Joann's near you? I use their 40-50% off coupons and I was able to get cheaper fabric there than even with the clearance prices at Wal-Mart as they were getting rid of their fabric.
#6 of 17 Old 02-19-2009, 10:54 PM

that makes me sad. I live in Newnan to and have shopped at that walmart just for the fabric. Do you know when the sale will begin? I would love to stock up while I can. Do you think the Newnan store will close out their tiny fabric section? Have you been to the quilt shop downtown in Newnan? They have some really pretty stuff but it can be expensive.
#7 of 17 Old 02-19-2009, 11:10 PM

they got rid of ours about a year ago. they still have a small yarn section and a few other little things but no fabric
#8 of 17 Old 02-26-2009, 03:37 AM

Our got rid of their about a year ago too. They do have a small craft area though.
#9 of 17 Old 02-28-2009, 07:56 PM

Ditto on JoAnns. What about Hobby Lobby? They're thick here in the midwest and pretty much every dept has good sales once a month. Not to mention the 40% off coupons. Ours is the size of an avg K-Mart.
#10 of 17 Old 03-12-2009, 02:25 PM

I'm so glad to see there are some other MDC moms around here! We just moved to Newnan a few weeks ago.

The craft supply situation seems a little rough down here. I was really surprised that the closest Joanne's and Hobby Lobby are in Fayetteville, and that the Walmart here has next to no fabric! I did happen to notice a Frugal Fabrics on Bullsboro Dr. though, although I haven't checked it out yet.
#11 of 17 Old 03-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBikeLover View Post
They are all closing their sewing departments so i doubt there is anything you can do to stop it.

Do you have a Joann's near you? I use their 40-50% off coupons and I was able to get cheaper fabric there than even with the clearance prices at Wal-Mart as they were getting rid of their fabric.
Thankfully not all are closing - I spoke with the department head at our local walmart a few months ago about the closings and she said that all of the supercenters were losing their fabric section and that the regular walmarts were being decided on a case by case basis. Thankfully ours is staying open and has been getting some awesome new fabrics lately. I buy mediumweight denim to make beanbags - was buying it for $8-$10 a yard before my coupon at JoAnne's - my walmart now gets the exact denim and sells it for $2 which makes an entire bolt only $20!
#12 of 17 Old 03-12-2009, 02:51 PM

my husband works for walmart and was told the reason they are getting rid of the fabric is because sam waltons granddaughter is opening her own fabric store and did not want any competition. thats what was told to him by other employees. not sure but if thats the case i think its kind of pitiful.

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
#13 of 17 Old 03-12-2009, 03:55 PM

Our Walmart still has a big sewing department (We have a big population of Amish and Mennonite people and no other place to buy stuff) but it keeps shrinking. I can no longer buy ANY embroidery stuff there. I have to drive almost an hour away if I want so much as a .99 embroidery hoop!
#14 of 17 Old 03-12-2009, 03:59 PM

Of the Wal-marts I normally go to (TN/GA), two have closed their fabric department, one has seriously downsized theirs, and one is so small that it's really not worth going to anyway.

There is a HUGE Jo-Anns in Kennesaw that is SO worth the drive.

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
#15 of 17 Old 04-08-2009, 12:34 PM

Have you all heard that there's going to be a Hobby Lobby opening in Newnan? : From what I've been told, it's going to be where the old Belk was on 34 (next to Walmart). It's already listed on the store directory on the HL site. I'm so excited. H is very nervous. LOL
#16 of 17 Old 04-12-2009, 02:38 AM

I was told by my WalMart (which is also closing it's fabric section) that most will be closing their fabric sections, leaving just over 100 in the entire US that will have fabric sections.

~Beth~
Mom to 3 sweet girls
#17 of 17 Old 04-13-2009, 10:41 AM

Ours has reduced its size. Makes me rather sad especially now that I have to learn to sew. Our Hobby Lobby is okay but not a huge selection. JoAnn's is about 45 min from here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page