Mothering Forum banner

Pattern making??

487 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  orangefoot 
#1 ·
I noticed in another thread that some people make their own patterns. I am really interested in learning to do that as well! I can adapt existing patterns some but have no clue on how to do it from scratch. Would you share your tips? Book recommendations are welcome too.

Thanks!

#2 ·
You can find 'recipes' for making patterns if you search online for Drafting Pattern Blocks.

I have made a skirt block for myself with the fashion-era link that will come top of that search. I'm still scared of the trouser blocks though!

There is a book called Sew What! Skirts which again has detailed instructions on drafting different styles of skirt. I have read good and bad reviews of it but it is probably still worth looking at.

Fast Fit by Sandra Betzina is a good book to read to help you see where and how to adjust existing patterns to fit you better. Large parts of it are on Google Books but I borrowed a copy from the library.

Lots of sewing blogs have pattern drafting tips and Just Tutes is only about pattern making, mostly for little people but her ideas can easily be scaled up for adults.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.