Best fabric for Prefolds? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-03-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hubby and I want to sew our own prefolds.

What is the best fabric? Flannel, cotton twill, birdseye...?

What size should we make? We have a 7 month old & a 20 month old to make these for.

TIA!

=)

-Alyssa , SAHM to Elijah(4) Josiah(2) Abram(1) and proud wife to my mechanic Tyler
Baby #4 is on the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 03-04-2009, 12:22 AM

Have you used prefolds before, like for sizing comparison?

I would think that the regular size would fit them both (roughly 14.5 x 21 new, I think). That's just a guess though.

The beauty of making your own is you can make them any old size you want!!! If I were doing it again, I would want a little wider and a little shorter, since my ds is sort of petite and a lot of babies outgrow the width before the length.

Check out greenmountaindiapers for a lot of size options.

Really, any fabric will work! Even old flannel sheets or pajamas. Flannel is nice because it's so soft. But I like to be able to use a snappi and you can't with flannel. Birdseye would be nice for that. Or 100% cotton terry on the outside would be nice for that, too. You can snappi them both. If you look online you can even find luxury fabrics like cotton velour or bamboo. Really, you can go as cheap or expensive as you want. Whatever you use, I would make a few and test them for size, absorbancy and drying time to see if they work for you, then adjust as needed!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#3 of 13 Old 03-04-2009, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your advice!

We made one with flannel but it turned out to small. I'm making another one today, bigger and hopefully to will fit!

=)

-Alyssa , SAHM to Elijah(4) Josiah(2) Abram(1) and proud wife to my mechanic Tyler
Baby #4 is on the way!
#4 of 13 Old 03-04-2009, 06:32 PM

How fun. Congrats! Hope you get the sizing down and can start enjoying them right away!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#5 of 13 Old 03-09-2009, 07:37 PM

Here's a noob question - I notice a lot of posts suggesting flannel or t-shirt material. Those don't seem as if they'd be too absorbent. Do you have to layer them?
#6 of 13 Old 03-10-2009, 12:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used flannel using this: http://diaperfabric.com/sew-a-prefol...-the-real-way/

I use a snappi on my flannel prefolds all the time - not sure why you wouldn't be able to.

wbd221 - prefolds (these ones at least) are 8 layers in the centre & 4 layers on the outside - so quite absorbant.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#7 of 13 Old 03-10-2009, 01:16 AM

Unbleached twill is amazingly soft, however you need lots of layers and it is REALLY hard to cut it perfectly straight (at least from my experience). I've never made flannel prefolds, but have made some fitteds with it and it's really easy to cut and sew.

Mrs.Oz :, wife to Mr. Oz , mother to Boo : 2 years and Sissy 9 months.
: :
#8 of 13 Old 03-10-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
I used flannel using this: http://diaperfabric.com/sew-a-prefol...-the-real-way/

I use a snappi on my flannel prefolds all the time - not sure why you wouldn't be able to.

wbd221 - prefolds (these ones at least) are 8 layers in the centre & 4 layers on the outside - so quite absorbant.
Thanks! This info is helpful. How many pre-folds would one suggest starting out with (to get a supply established?)?
#9 of 13 Old 03-10-2009, 10:12 PM

I'm really new to sewing my own but I've seen a few "patterns" for sewing prefolds. One for using flannel or t-shirt material was basically cut 4 layers of material something like 18 x 18, overlap them in the middle to form the pad, and sew. For snappi-ing, they recommended sewing a loose weave fabric over top of that, or, to be economical, sew the loose weave fabric in a T shape over the pad and the top front of the prefold.

If you're starting a new baby, I'd say at least 2 dozen. For a baby that's past the bm blowouts, probably fewer.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#10 of 13 Old 03-13-2009, 10:35 PM

I LOVE hemp fleece for pf's. The commercial ones are way too expensive, but if you make your own it's a quarter of the price. Just cut two rectangles to the desired size, then sew an additional strip down the middle third, and turn and topstitch or serge. Finish by topstitching along the lines where the middle soaker was sewn. HTH!
#11 of 13 Old 03-20-2009, 07:58 PM

right now i'm making my own from some old towels. seem to work ok so far... and free from my linen closet!
#12 of 13 Old 03-28-2009, 10:37 AM

I am using microfiber towels that my husband bought at the auto store. They are less than $1 each.
#13 of 13 Old 04-28-2009, 11:35 AM

All of our prefolds are t-shirt body, t-shirt/flannel/cotton stuffing, and flannel/cotton embellishment.

To find out exactly what size you need take a receiving blanket and fold it up in the shape of a prefold and put it on the baby. Keep adusting it until you get it perfect and that is the size prefold you should make.

Here is a link to my blog post about making prefolds, it has links to several different instructions about making prefolds from t-shirts and other things you have around the house!

http://moneysavingwahm.blogspot.com/...d-diapers.html

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page