Those of you who make your own fitteds - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-06-2009, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you layer yours and what fabrics do you use???
I'd like to make a fitted that is absorbant enough that it doesnt leak everywhere when first pee'd in BUT is thin enough I can tell it is wet. I dont want him sitting in a wet dipe. I like the absorbancy of kissaluvs.
Thankies!:
#2 of 12 Old 03-06-2009, 05:12 PM

I personally like flannel for fitteds--I use 7 layers & that will contain two pees for my DD (but I can *tell* that it's wet after one, so I can change as soon as possible, she has sensitive skin). Not everyone likes flannel, because some flannels get really pilly for a while (if you keep washing, it will loose the pills and soften up even more), and it's hard to tell sometimes what one will do. I like to use Killington flannel (a thicker flannel, normally cream-colored) inside with a cute print on the outside and I make them with three full body layers & a snap-in (or sewn at one end) rectangular soaker of 4 more layers.

If you want to duplicate the KLs on your own...you could try using the same fabrics & playing with layers a little I have two kinds of KLs...a fitted that looks to be a baby stretch terry (I think it's a 90%/10% cotton/poly blend?) and some contours that look like a heavyweight cotton fleece or possibly sherpa

HTH, good luck!
#3 of 12 Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I used a prefold and flannel outer. The prefold was kind of hard to work with and bulked up between the legs after the topstitching due to all the layers. I am thinking of trying terry. It was my first diaper, so maybe I will get better at it. I sewed in an extra soaker pad but only on one side so it flops for a quicker drying time. It works though, because the moment I put it on my daughter she had a pee and BM. She is 2 1/2. The elastic legs, back and Thirsties soaker worked together beautifully.
#4 of 12 Old 03-20-2009, 11:44 PM

I use cotton knit (old t-shirts work great) with 3 layers of french terry. They work overnight, but you can tell when they're wet and they're not bulky.

Joy wife to DH, mom to DS1 (4/2005): DD (5/2007) : : DS2 (1/2009 :
I do what works and when it stops working, then I do something else.
#5 of 12 Old 03-21-2009, 05:04 AM

Generally speaking I use three layers in the body and 3-6 for the soaker, depending on the fabric.

I don't love flannel for fitteds, but it works. With flannel I usually do four layers in the body and 7 in the soaker. My favorite fabric combination for fitteds is knit outer, hemp {either hemp french terry or hemp fleece, or even hemp or cotton jersey works well} hidden and velour {cotton or bamboo} inner with a trifolded snap or lay in soaker of one layer velour and one layer hft or microfiber {which turns into six layers when folded}. These aren't very thin, but they are absorbant, a must have for me when my daughter the super soaker was in diapers. If I'm doing a contour soaker I usually do three layers hft or mf, one layer of the outer fabric {unless it's a poly} and one of velour.

For a thinner diaper with a good absorbancy you could do two body layers {I do three just because I think it feels a little more stable and sturdy} and a two layer trifold soaker. Dries fast, goes together easily and is still nicely absorbant.

Any absorbant fabric will work well for a fitted though. Old tee shirts work well, terry, anything.
#6 of 12 Old 03-21-2009, 10:40 PM

My latest diapers, I've made 3 layers for the body, and 4 for the soaker. The body was flannel for the inner, terrycloth, and then a cotton print for the outer. The external soaker was terry outer, and recycled receiving blanket for the inner. They work decently well. I'm going to make the next batch with a thicker soaker. I just need to pick up more terry cloth first.
#7 of 12 Old 04-28-2009, 11:44 AM

I modify the RRP pattern with cotton/flannel inner and outer and sew four/five layers of cotton inside and then make a flat diaper out of flannel or soft cotton to fold up as an extra soaker. Very absorbent when put together but it doesn't take forever to dry.

http://handmadebyrita.blogspot.com/2...t-pattern.html
#8 of 12 Old 05-03-2009, 02:35 AM

The dipes I have made for my youngest were all made from recycled clothes, so mostly old Tshirts, some old flannel pj's. 3 layers for the body, with an internal soaker of terry (old towel, one layer). I used the free Ottobre pattern found online...somewhere, don't have a link handy.

Then I use one lay-in soaker, made of 4 layers of flannel, layed over top of a super-absorbent shammy type material (like Shamwow, but whatever generic version I find, cut in soaker-size strips). Super absorbent. Layer of vaseline on her butt to keep the moisture away...haven't had a diaper rash yet .

And it all dries super fast, as it's all separate layers .

I have 3 kids! : Lookit them go!!!
#9 of 12 Old 05-12-2009, 08:12 AM

I do three layers for the body and 6 layers for the attached soaker when I use cotton knit or flannel. More like a two layer body with a six layer soaker when I'm using terry & cotton velour. I haven't had any leaking issues yet.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#10 of 12 Old 05-13-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapadoozer View Post
I do three layers for the body and 6 layers for the attached soaker when I use cotton knit or flannel. More like a two layer body with a six layer soaker when I'm using terry & cotton velour. I haven't had any leaking issues yet.

Just to clarify, you use a layer next to baby, an inside layer with the attached soaker, and then the outside layer?
#11 of 12 Old 05-13-2009, 05:20 PM

i do two layers of flannel for the body (one outer and one inner), and then two layers of terry (cut up bath towel) for the absorbent middle part.

ariana, mama to beautiful redheaded girls (oct 07) and (nov 10)

#12 of 12 Old 05-27-2009, 05:19 PM

For a fitted (I use the Chloe Toes pattern), I do:

1) Outer Flannel (facing out)

2) Middle:
Unbleached cotton
Well-used Terry soaker - 4ish layers because it's worn thin
Sew the terry soaker onto the cotton so it's centered and won't travel

3) Inner Flannel (against baby skin)

They've never been tested for absorbancy... but they're darn cute! :

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page