Let's show off our home-sewn kids' clothes :) - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 221 Old 03-23-2009, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Every one's stuff is looking great! MittensKittens, I'm still getting up the nerve to make a baby carrier. I must be getting closer because I bought some fabric specifically intended to become a Mei Tai!
Today I am working on a shirred sundress for DD. I'm still thinking about what I'm doing to do with the straps, but here's a peek anyway. I've also been playing with some Sculpey that I found on sale and working on some felt to applique animals on to the boys' shirts.

ETA: I got my copy of Sewing for Toddlers today, but the master pattern is completely missing! The item description didn't say that the pattern was not included!
Now I've got to figure out if I should return the book for a refund, or ask for a discount and keep it, and try to approximate the patterns...
#62 of 221 Old 03-23-2009, 04:00 PM

this thread is super motivating. i have been trying to muster the courage to attempt some clothes for DS, as I'm frustrated by how the clothes we have are not really the best fit for a cloth diapered body! You all will be my inspiration as I struggle through.

Sarah, WAHM and partner to incredible DH, mama to DS (10/08) and DS (6/10). Missing baby boy lost at 13 wks 12/19/12. angel2.gif

#63 of 221 Old 03-23-2009, 04:01 PM

oh and do any of you have a recommendation for a favorite sun hat pattern?

Sarah, WAHM and partner to incredible DH, mama to DS (10/08) and DS (6/10). Missing baby boy lost at 13 wks 12/19/12. angel2.gif

#64 of 221 Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahope View Post
this thread is super motivating. i have been trying to muster the courage to attempt some clothes for DS, as I'm frustrated by how the clothes we have are not really the best fit for a cloth diapered body! You all will be my inspiration as I struggle through.
Hunt out old patterns at the thrift store. Especially ones from the 50's and 60's.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#65 of 221 Old 03-23-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubator View Post

ETA: I got my copy of Sewing for Toddlers today, but the master pattern is completely missing! The item description didn't say that the pattern was not included!
Now I've got to figure out if I should return the book for a refund, or ask for a discount and keep it, and try to approximate the patterns...
: I hate that. But that's probably why it was so cheap. New, the pattern books is $26. http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-...rncompanyid=22

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#66 of 221 Old 03-24-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post
: I hate that. But that's probably why it was so cheap. New, the pattern books is $26. http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-...rncompanyid=22
Well, the next cheapest one on Amazon was $10 and most of them were averaging around $15.
Luckily the seller refunded me the amount I paid, including shipping, and still let me keep the book.
Now maybe I can find another copy of it somewhere and just make a copy of the patterns.
#67 of 221 Old 03-25-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahope View Post
The Kwik Sew for toddlers book has many patterns that are very CD friendly.

Here are a couple dresses I made my dd. I really need to make her some more before the baby comes!

Batik peasant dress
Kittens and polka dots peasant dress.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#68 of 221 Old 03-25-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapadoozer View Post

Here are a couple dresses I made my dd. I really need to make her some more before the baby comes!

Batik peasant dress
Oh those are cute! It's going to be so much fun making clothes for my DD as she gets older!
I've been considering trying my hand at homemade batik. I've got to come up with a good design though.
I've got more stuff to post today. Let me go finish one dress and then I'll get pictures of everything!
Keep it going ladies! What have you made lately?
#69 of 221 Old 03-25-2009, 10:09 PM

And here it is: The finished t-shirt for my boy, a dinosaur bag and a shirred sundress, completed.
#70 of 221 Old 03-25-2009, 11:51 PM

How do you make sleeved shirts out of woven fabrics that fit around the neck and body but the head and arms go in easily?
#71 of 221 Old 03-26-2009, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
How do you make sleeved shirts out of woven fabrics that fit around the neck and body but the head and arms go in easily?
The only way I know of is a dashiki shirt, that has a slit at the neckline and bell-shaped sleeves. Here's a tutorial, and I'm planning on making one this week for myself, and then one for my son.
You could always do a peasant top, or any other shirt with an elastic neck.
#72 of 221 Old 03-26-2009, 06:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Batik peasant dress
Those are so cute!

Incubator, you some some nice fabrics there. Don't "economize" on the strap lengths for your mei tai, I need at least four metres and I am very petite - I usually take six when sewing them for others (for a podaegi, MTs can be a little shorter because of the waist strap).

I haven't got round to sewing much these days, just a podaegi (not for me) but I got some nice fabrics for summer yesterday. I want to make matching jeans skirts for me and DD

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#73 of 221 Old 03-26-2009, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter

And I totally get the trouser problem for CD babies! In summer, I'll mainly just have dipes with cute covers, paired with a nice t shirt. I couldn't ever imagine sposies showing, but nice CDs are just as good as shorts I think!

Are there any ECers here, and what kind of trousers do you sew? I know the EC wear website, but are there any EC patterns out there? (not ECing myself right now, just wondering)

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#74 of 221 Old 03-26-2009, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

I couldn't help myself...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35757616@N05/3387525028/

Another podaegi - I really love the combination of this blue silk with jean straps.

#75 of 221 Old 03-26-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incubator View Post
And here it is: The finished t-shirt for my boy, a dinosaur bag and a shirred sundress, completed.
Everything looks great! That dinosaur is off the adorable charts!

This morning I decided to try my hand at the man's shirt into little girl's dress tutorial.

Before
After
After back

I think I need to tweak it a bit but overall I am really pleased with it! It's always fun to turn something old into something new.

#76 of 221 Old 03-26-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Everything looks great! That dinosaur is off the adorable charts!

This morning I decided to try my hand at the man's shirt into little girl's dress tutorial.

Before
After
After back

I think I need to tweak it a bit but overall I am really pleased with it! It's always fun to turn something old into something new.
Very cute!

Here's two I just completed this week.

Purple daisy sundress
Blue flowered tunic Kind of a strange look on dd's face, but a good shot of the tunic.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#77 of 221 Old 03-26-2009, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just got a sewing machine a few weeks ago (has been years since I have sewn), but here are my first attempts at getting back into it.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&id=569697925

I have not inserted pictures before, so hopefully it works....

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has a great pattern for pinafores for little girls. I have looked online and in the store and have not found one. I want it to be reversible.

Thanks-

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#78 of 221 Old 03-26-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:

Before
After
After back

Cute.

#79 of 221 Old 03-27-2009, 07:11 PM

I love lurking here! I am a total newbie but I really really want to learn! I bought a machine last year and so far have only made pillows.

scrapadoozer - I LOVE that idea of taking a shirt and making a dress. In fact, I just told dh that I want to turn some old tees into dresses for the girls but I have absolutely no idea how to go about doing that.

does anyone have an idea?
#80 of 221 Old 03-27-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annikate View Post
scrapadoozer - I LOVE that idea of taking a shirt and making a dress. In fact, I just told dh that I want to turn some old tees into dresses for the girls but I have absolutely no idea how to go about doing that.

does anyone have an idea?
I know of this tutorial. I haven't done it yet but I have a shirt in mind and am hoping to get to it before the weather gets warm around here.

#81 of 221 Old 03-28-2009, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35757616@N05/3391095447/

This is a jacket that I made from hemp fleece, using one of the Japanese patterns that were linked here a while back. Do you think this is too "girly" for boys? I think it is nice but probably designed for girls.

#82 of 221 Old 03-28-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35757616@N05/3391095447/

This is a jacket that I made from hemp fleece, using one of the Japanese patterns that were linked here a while back. Do you think this is too "girly" for boys? I think it is nice but probably designed for girls.
Cute! I think if it's a little boy it's fine.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#83 of 221 Old 03-28-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
I know of this tutorial. I haven't done it yet but I have a shirt in mind and am hoping to get to it before the weather gets warm around here.
Ooh, that's awesome! Thanks!
#84 of 221 Old 03-28-2009, 04:21 PM

Great thread! I enjoy looking at what people have made. I am way pumped about having a girl because, despite not being a girly-girl myself, I am way excited to sew for her. I would also be excited to sew for a boy as well (don't get me wrong), but those little dresses are soo sweet!

here is this minty mocha floral sundress with no pattern based off onesie measurements. I know it's rather long, and hopefully she can wear it to her uncle's wedding this August.

The Cheytown Men's shirt to dress from craftster

Here's a little onesie dress

Halloween baby legs

Gifts:

Reversible toddler apron: orange side, brown side

girl appliqued onesies

boy appliqued onesies (but I'd put my girl in some of these!)

rocket onesie

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#85 of 221 Old 03-28-2009, 06:42 PM

Here's some dresses DD grew out of I washed them to pass them along. I thought they looked pretty out on the line.
http://always-in-my-kitchen.blogspot...s-dresses.html
#86 of 221 Old 03-29-2009, 12:32 AM

cute cute cute!! I love looking at other mamas sewing adventures!

I really haven't made much for my boys other than jammie bottoms. Boys aren't as fun to sew for IMO....

made some skirts for bf's dd. green skirt
pink skirt
brown skirt
half wrap dress
#87 of 221 Old 03-29-2009, 03:15 AM

[QUOTE=pixie-n-hertwoboys;13453922]cute cute cute!! I love looking at other mamas sewing adventures!

I really haven't made much for my boys other than jammie bottoms. Boys aren't as fun to sew for IMO....

I agree. After Dylan grew out of his baby stage, I quit sewing from him other than the annual Halloween costume. When he was 5 and I was sewing Angela's prom dress and Joy's wedding gown, he asked me why I didn't sew him anything. So I said that he could pick out some cotton fabrics and I'd make him some boxer shorts. He picked out the fabrics--some calicos and some flannels. I made him 8-9 pairs of boxers. And I've been doing it ever since. Going on 6 years now.

#88 of 221 Old 03-29-2009, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Love the sundress! Great fabrics too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl2 View Post
Great thread! I enjoy looking at what people have made. I am way pumped about having a girl because, despite not being a girly-girl myself, I am way excited to sew for her. I would also be excited to sew for a boy as well (don't get me wrong), but those little dresses are soo sweet!

here is this minty mocha floral sundress with no pattern based off onesie measurements. I know it's rather long, and hopefully she can wear it to her uncle's wedding this August.

The Cheytown Men's shirt to dress from craftster

Here's a little onesie dress

Halloween baby legs

Gifts:

Reversible toddler apron: orange side, brown side

girl appliqued onesies

boy appliqued onesies (but I'd put my girl in some of these!)

rocket onesie

#89 of 221 Old 03-29-2009, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post
I agree. After Dylan grew out of his baby stage, I quit sewing from him other than the annual Halloween costume. When he was 5 and I was sewing Angela's prom dress and Joy's wedding gown, he asked me why I didn't sew him anything. So I said that he could pick out some cotton fabrics and I'd make him some boxer shorts. He picked out the fabrics--some calicos and some flannels. I made him 8-9 pairs of boxers. And I've been doing it ever since. Going on 6 years now.
Thank goodness for boxer shorts. DH wanted me to sew for him and really the only thing I could think of to make him was boxer shorts. Gee, he must have 10 pairs now. It's cool to find something you can make for a guy.

#90 of 221 Old 03-30-2009, 03:06 AM

[QUOTE=pearl2;13451558]

Halloween baby legs

I made those exact baby legs for Lindsay last Halloween. Did you get the socks from Joann's? I just finished argyle bunny ones today. Also bought from Joanns.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page