Let's show off our home-sewn kids' clothes :) - Page 8 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#211 of 221 Old 10-22-2009, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love that dress, smokering! Very cute combination of fabrics too!

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#212 of 221 Old 10-28-2009, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Thanks! I like it. The fabric was all remnants from a half-price sale at a swanky quilting shop, so I got lucky!

I also made two shirred tops with fabric from the same trip, and have enough left of one green to do a kimono top. I'm also itching to make the piggie a bubble dress out of some green spotty fabric and a contrasting purple floral (just 'cause!). Summer clothes are awesome! Or perhaps that's just another way of saying "I can't do sleeves".

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#213 of 221 Old 10-29-2009, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Thanks! I like it. The fabric was all remnants from a half-price sale at a swanky quilting shop, so I got lucky!

I also made two shirred tops with fabric from the same trip, and have enough left of one green to do a kimono top. I'm also itching to make the piggie a bubble dress out of some green spotty fabric and a contrasting purple floral (just 'cause!). Summer clothes are awesome! Or perhaps that's just another way of saying "I can't do sleeves".
You CAN do sleeves, you just need a bit of practice. Or otherwise, kimonos are the way to go . That brown "gypsy" skirt you (I guess it's you) are wearing in that picture where DD is walking in the green top, did you make that? I have been wanting to make one of those for ages, but I have no pattern and will probably mess it up.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#214 of 221 Old 10-29-2009, 05:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yeah, that's me; I finished it months ago and have been meaning to take some decent pictures of it and put it up on my blog properly, but... well... haven't. It wasn't hard at all, just fiendishly time-consuming. I used five-inch squares, nine "tiers"... the first strip just long enough to go over my hips (because I didn't use a zip or anything - you could tailor it to the width of the waist if you did), and every subsequent strip 1 1/2 times that length. The bottom layer was 99 squares long!

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#215 of 221 Old 10-29-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl2 View Post
Great thread! I enjoy looking at what people have made. I am way pumped about having a girl because, despite not being a girly-girl myself, I am way excited to sew for her. I would also be excited to sew for a boy as well (don't get me wrong), but those little dresses are soo sweet!

here is this minty mocha floral sundress with no pattern based off onesie measurements. I know it's rather long, and hopefully she can wear it to her uncle's wedding this August.

The Cheytown Men's shirt to dress from craftster

Here's a little onesie dress

Halloween baby legs

Gifts:

Reversible toddler apron: orange side, brown side

girl appliqued onesies

boy appliqued onesies (but I'd put my girl in some of these!)

rocket onesie
I laughed at one of the boy appliqued onesies... the one with the tie.. so adorable!!!!!! I love this thread! I can't wait to own a sewing machine!!!

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!
#216 of 221 Old 10-29-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post

so cute! Love the color on your baby!

I heartbeat.gif my  9/22/02  dd who likes to blahblah.gif, 4/29/09 mos old. silly & adventurous girl twins twins.gif ,  11/15/l0 girl baby.gif & my coffee drinking DH!
#217 of 221 Old 10-29-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulturemom View Post
Here is a dress that I made for Kat for her Birthday.... I love this pattern! the great thing about it is that it makes size 12 months through size 10.
I had a hard time getting a great picture as Kat wouldn't be still for 2 seconds.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g272/utahandy/014.jpg

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g272/utahandy/011.jpg

and the back http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g272/utahandy/013.jpg

and an apron for kat
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g2...andy/001-3.jpg

wow the dress is really BEAUTIFUL!

#218 of 221 Old 11-04-2009, 06:53 PM

Three dresses from the same pattern.

Brown dots w/ peacock applique
close up of the applique

These two are corduroy.
close up of the owl applique

then I sewed a cape for dd to wear over the black one so she could be Little Red Riding Hood for Halloween.

appliqued onesies
tree
then one for my cousin's dd front and back (they're Clemson fans)

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#219 of 221 Old 11-05-2009, 12:49 AM

KristyDi ~ I love those little pinafores! I have a similar pattern and have used it quite a bit.

The hooded cape is so sweet and fits really well. I love how the hood drapes.

I'm always at any applique and I can't imagine how to do it on jersey like you have on the little onesies.
#220 of 221 Old 11-09-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
KristyDi ~ I love those little pinafores! I have a similar pattern and have used it quite a bit.

The hooded cape is so sweet and fits really well. I love how the hood drapes.

I'm always at any applique and I can't imagine how to do it on jersey like you have on the little onesies.
It's easier than you think! This tutorial is awesome. The stitch and tear really makes a difference. I don't always remember to change to a ball point needle and I don't have a clear applique foot. I just use the normal foot.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#221 of 221 Old 11-10-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyDi View Post
Three dresses from the same pattern.
Such cute things! I love them all, especially the owl and tree appliques. So cute! And thank you for sharing the tutorial. I can't wait to try this!

Betsy, mama to Zane 4/12/05 and Cade 3/5/08

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page