Baby Shower Favors?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 03-12-2009, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my sister is having a giant baby party and I need to make about 100 favors using as little money as possible.I hate the idea of getting some useless junk for everyone to throw out.

I had the idea of giving away cute little packs of seeds but that didn't go over too well.

Any ideas?

#2 of 10 Old 03-13-2009, 02:39 PM

I took the take and toss sippy cups and put some chocolates in each. Now everyone has a cup to offer for when the baby visits as they grow.
#3 of 10 Old 03-13-2009, 06:56 PM

Is there a theme? You mention seed packs didn't go over well... did she (or the person organizing the shower) have a suggestion you could adapt?

My own shower with dd1 had an "Alice in Wonderland" theme and guests took home a red or white "rose" made from green pipe cleaner and crepe paper. (the roses were used to assign teams during games so they were "double" functioned).

At my second shower guests took home tiny magnetic picture frames... my mom found them at a craft store in packs of ten. After dd2 was born we sent everyone a tiny "thumbnail" style picture that would fit in the frame.

A baby shower I helped host was done as a tea party and each guest took home their tea cup/saucer (purchased very cheaply at second hand and thrift stores... usually 10-25 cents each). You may have a hard time finding 100 unique tea cups though!

If the sippy cup idea costs too much, perhaps a small fabric or netting bag with chocolates or treats? The chocolates could be purchased in bulk and the baggies could be purchsed, sewn, or the fabric simply cut into circles and tied around the candies.

Or what about candles? Our local craft store has votive height candles in packs of 25 for a couple of dollars. You could tie a ribbon around each one with a note asking that the guest light the candle when your sister is in labor or something like that.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#4 of 10 Old 03-13-2009, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas!

Well the theme was going to be flowers.Pretty vague but......part of the problem is there are "too many cooks in the kitchen".My sister's friend was going to be the one throwing it with help from family members.But too many people have gotten involved and now I don't know if a theme really matters.

My sister's friend really liked the seed idea but it didn't go over well with everyone.I guess in reality the way the conversation was left I could still do the seeds but I'm just trying to make everyone happy.The problem is what my family would appreciate and what the father's family would appreciate are different.

My sister suggested candles.I was thinking about something edible.I was also thinking about having little buttons made.Not sure what I would put on them though.

#5 of 10 Old 03-15-2009, 04:24 AM

If you'd be up for it, you could use the seeds to make paper and then do something like the roses on chenille stems. Non-gardeny folk could have a "flower" and gardeny folk could take it home and plant it.

Making the paper would take a chunk of time/effort on your part, though.

Can't think of anything else at the moment. I like the sippy cup idea, though!

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#6 of 10 Old 04-05-2009, 01:38 AM

I've never been to a baby shower with favors before, and for 100 people that sounds like a lot of work! I do like your flower seed idea. I like things I can use or eat, because I have a whole bunch of take away candles I never use!

I'm not too crafty, but I've made heart shaped chocolates before for wedding favors. You could get a flower mold to go with your theme. We wrapped them in foil and placed them on a square piece of mesh and then tied them up with ribbon to make a little sack (if that makes sense). It didn't take too long with 4 or 5 people helping, and I think they turned out really well.

Carly BFing Mom to DS and loving wife to DH
#7 of 10 Old 04-05-2009, 09:58 PM

I liked the melt and pour soap slices I got from a bridal shower once. Got used up. The little tag said, "From my shower to yours."

I imagine it was pretty easy to make batches of them.

Mama to twin boys, Oct-'09 and baby girl, Apri-'12!

#8 of 10 Old 04-10-2009, 01:45 AM

what about a cookie bar? just fill several large glass jars with homemade cookies. (get all of those helpers involved, by asking each one to make a different kind of cookie. several dozen a piece. and have each person bring their cookies to the shower in a large clear glass jar.) affix labels to the jars. display on table. put out little bags or boxes for the guests to fill with cookies. and make a little thank you tented card.

we did this for my sister's shower, and it was a huge hit. we made large round cookies, and put out bags that would only accomodate two cookies a piece. afterwards, i was able to use my glass jar to store flour, while my aunt uses hers to store rice and such.

good luck.
#9 of 10 Old 04-10-2009, 03:14 AM

i also like the idea of an edible favor. i insisted on doing the favors for my own baby shower and did cookie pots. they came out really well and all our guests were really impressed. it was no easy task being eight months pregnant, but i think w/ that many guests what you can do is just do one cookie stick wrapped individually.

i used the recipe on this page:

http://www.cookiemadness.net/?p=586

tutorial from this page:

http://www.karenscookies.net/shop/co...t/info_45.html

i used two sugar cookies (i got onesie and bottle cookie cutters) and one or two chocolate chip cookies, also on a stick:

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipe....aspx?ID=30117
#10 of 10 Old 04-10-2009, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great ideas!

I decided to go with flower lollipops.I used the same paper that I used to make the invites so they will match and everyone seemed happy with the idea.The party is tomorrow so we'll see how they go over.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page