copying items on Etsy - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2009, 11:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
What about trying on wedding dresses to get an idea of what looks good? I did that; Mum made the dress. I would have bought a dress if it had been the right price, and we didn't copy any of the dresses specifically (plus Mum changed the pattern a week before the wedding because the top wasn't working right, which is another story and a sad one!); plus of course we paid our $20 for the privilege of trying them on.
They made you pay to try on dresses??? Where was this?

I just went in to a shop and tried them on. Of course, somebody did stop me as I was leaving the dressing room and said they would prefer if I made an appointment, but I'd already seen what I wanted to, so I left.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2009, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
This was in a town in New Zealand which I didn't realise was swanky enough for such shenanigans. It's pretty common for bridal shops; it's supposed to discourage teenage girls from spending an afternoon wasting the salespeople's time trying on wedding dresses, and maybe it's 'insurance' against the odd customer who gets lipstick on a $3000 dress as well - or for people like me who want to see what looks good, but isn't planning on buying. I can see why they do it. One place had a $20 for three dresses rule though, and that got up my nose.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
This was in a town in New Zealand which I didn't realise was swanky enough for such shenanigans. It's pretty common for bridal shops; it's supposed to discourage teenage girls from spending an afternoon wasting the salespeople's time trying on wedding dresses, and maybe it's 'insurance' against the odd customer who gets lipstick on a $3000 dress as well - or for people like me who want to see what looks good, but isn't planning on buying. I can see why they do it. One place had a $20 for three dresses rule though, and that got up my nose.
Ahh, forgot you were in NZ. I need to go back and visit someday ... I'll be sure not to try on dresses while I'm there, though.

More on topic: I guess I feel like straight copying of a design is inappropriate all around, but I wouldn't give anybody grief about it in the circumstances mentioned (not having enough money to buy the original but wanting to have something nice for a gift or your kids or yourself). Copying a design but adding "just enough" of your own work to get around a copyright then trying to sell it: Wrong. Being inspired by a design and making similar item for sale which are clearly distinguishable from the original: No problem--that's art!

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
Old 04-07-2009, 05:15 PM

I really don't like out right copying as an artist. However I really do understand some moms really can not afford some of the prices, and really want to try there hand at some things. I often use etsy as inspiration personally there as just so many things which I see. Often leading to ideas which have nothing to do with the oroginal design anyway. Just ny $.02
Old 04-07-2009, 06:36 PM

I prefer for my Etsy designs not to be copied.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:41 PM

MissPrettyPretty, Thanks for your thoughts!

I was referring only to make a personal use playhouse. DEFINITELY not for sale. And only once. I certainly don't have the inclination to do it multiple times!

Also, I am making a generic house, not one of your unique beauty shop or garage ideas. I will send anyone who asks to your shop for sure!

I was curious about the velcro fruit - is it okay to make velcro fruit?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.V. Lowi View Post
Garments and other useful objects are not protected by copyright in the US. Artworks such as fine art, photographs, jewelry designs, sculpture, including dolls and other arts works are protected from the moment they are produced.

What about designer clothes, handbags, etc.?

Twin boys 04/2005 : Support breastfeeding rights at FirstRight.Org : warrior
Face the rear for MORE than a year! Toddlers' necks are safest in a rear facing carseat
Old 04-16-2009, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJaneLouise View Post
What about designer clothes, handbags, etc.?

If a clothing design or a hand bag is protected by trademark or has some artwork as a feature of the design, such as a logo then those would be protected but not the garment or bag, alone.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:53 AM

I have been thinking about this too. A few years ago I got an idea and searched and searched to see if anyone had anything like it & so far I have only seen it on Etsy by only one seller. Now I'm not sure if I should go ahead with making it

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
Old 04-16-2009, 07:35 PM

NAK, so if this is a bit too blunt, sorry. Trying to keep sentences sort. Well my feeling is that very little on etsy or any other of the WAHM craft selling sites is extremely 100% original. A little bit of it is, but so much is put an extra bow or two, a ruffle, change the type of wood used or something else pretty trivial and call it your one of a kind design. So just make sure you change something little or leave off something little and then you are not really copying.
If you want to sell it, yes I think you need to change it enough so that it is not easily seen as being someone else's design. For your own personal use, go for it.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:57 PM

So I thought I had this great idea for an EC diaper. One that snaps around the waist first, so that you can just open the front flap to pee. I sewed one up and listed it on my Etsy.

Ends up at least 2 people make this type of diaper. So I guess my great original idea that I came up with 100% on my own, is not so original.

Oh well, I am going to list some for sale anyway. I cam up with it, it is slightly different than the ones I found made by others, and I think it is a great product. I don't think that is wrong.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.

User Tag List