copying items on Etsy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 03-16-2009, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I was just wondering what your opinion was on making stuff you've seen on sites like Etsy and Hyenacart. Is it wrong if you say where you got the idea from, wrong if you put it up for sale, not wrong if you make it just for personal use? Some items on Etsy are inspired by big manufacturers and I haven't seen anyone have a problem with purchasing those. Opinions?

Mine is I don't think its wrong if you make something to use for personal use but I do see a grey area if you post it up online and take credit for someone else's ideas.
#2 of 41 Old 03-16-2009, 01:19 PM

I sometimes go to etsy when looking for inspiration for personal use. I don't think it is polite (or even legal) to sell something copied from what you saw there.

Single mama to two wild and sweet toddlers 2/08
#3 of 41 Old 03-16-2009, 02:03 PM

I don't see a problem with it, especially making something for yourself. Maybe I'm wrong, but if they can make it, why cant you? It's not like you're copying a pattern they designed, you're looking a pictures of the finished product and then making your own version. Personally, though, I wouldn't copy it to sell unless I added something to it, or made it different some how. However, when it comes to something like a wallet, or a cell-phone carrier or a lunch sack or something like that, they're all sort of the same in the end, anyway, and there's not much you can do to to make them different.
I know that's probably going to make some people angry, but... that's just my opinion
#4 of 41 Old 03-16-2009, 02:10 PM

I think you can pretty much copy stuff by sight (and even sell it) but if you buy something and trace the pattern, then it is wrong.

There are only so many possible ways to make a diaper or a dress or whatnot. Now probably you shouldn't go buy the exact same fabric, etc etc.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#5 of 41 Old 03-16-2009, 02:40 PM

Well I think that if it's something that has an obvious artistic style to it that is recognized by that particular artist/designer, meaning you couldn't or wouldn't have come up with the color or design idea on your own you really shouldn't sell it on Etsy, especially if it's an obvious knockoff.

Mostly out of integrity for the craft community as a whole. You also won't build up a very nice rep for yourself if you're intending on making a niche for yourself on Etsy.

That said, I do think it's totally 100% okay to be inspired, use ideas (as jumping off points) to make products/patterns. It's also okay if you see something that you could totally tweak and improve upon. Inspiration is not illegal/unethical. Pimping other people's designs to make money is not cool imo.

Don't be a copycat though if you plan to sell.

This is just my opinion as a craftsperson.
#6 of 41 Old 03-16-2009, 02:48 PM

I agree, I don't see why it would be wrong to copy an idea for your own use. Blatantly copying something, and then trying to sell it, would be another thing.

I recently got a scroll saw and learned how to make little wooden animals/figures, and got a lot of my ideas from Etsy sellers. Of course these were just for my son. I even posted a similar question here in a thread in toymaking, and the etsy seller happened to see it and responded that she was happy with others using her designs as inspiration for their own use...

I think if you were going to sell something though, you'd have to change it or find a way to make it your own first.

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#7 of 41 Old 03-16-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyLee View Post
I think you can pretty much copy stuff by sight (and even sell it) but if you buy something and trace the pattern, then it is wrong.

There are only so many possible ways to make a diaper or a dress or whatnot. Now probably you shouldn't go buy the exact same fabric, etc etc.
Exactly, I guess I hadn't thought about buying something to take it apart and copy it, I'd never do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcelain Interior View Post
Well I think that if it's something that has an obvious artistic style to it that is recognized by that particular artist/designer, meaning you couldn't or wouldn't have come up with the color or design idea on your own you really shouldn't sell it on Etsy, especially if it's an obvious knockoff.
Yeah, you said it better than me.
#8 of 41 Old 03-16-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyLee View Post

This is incorrect. You will be in violation of copyright law if you copy stuff by sight or by tracing. FYI- Personal use is not protected by the Fair Use clause. Fair Use covers copying for educational use, parody and for some forms of artistic expression, Like Andy Warhol's work with the Cambell's soup cans. Just because you don't plan to sell, doesn't make it ok to copy.

To go on to Etsy in order to copy the works of other's, gain "inspiration" or what ever you want to call it, is rude and disrespectful, no matter if the item is protected by copyright or not. Don't expect to be well received by other artist if you make a habit of doing this.
#9 of 41 Old 03-16-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Don't expect to be well received by other artist if you make a habit of doing this.
Well clearly that's a matter of opinion - since not all Etsy sellers feel the same way. Plus, if something is made just for your own personal use in your own home, how would anyone know? Now sure it would be rude to take photos & show it off and claim that it was your own wonderful design or blah blah blah... but that's just common sense I suppose.

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#10 of 41 Old 03-16-2009, 07:23 PM

As an Etsy seller it doesn't really bother me to much if someone uses my idea to make their own wooden toys. I would however have an issue if they decided to copy my work and sell it. I would be pretty darned pissed to be honest because a ton of time and effort goes into coming up with my designs.
#11 of 41 Old 03-16-2009, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I mostly feel bad for the WAHMs who are on there because whenever someone copies a design, then they lose sales. I mean first someone could start out making it for themselves, then give them as presents, and then have people ask them to make the same thing for them. I would be mad if I was making toys and someone copied the same exact design. But I guess there are only limited number of ways to draw a bear or make a snap diaper.

I've been thinking about this for awhile because I see people posting similar toys to those on Etsy and then I read an Etsy seller who said she was the first to do the wood burning designs on them. I think she wasn't mad that people started copying her, but I have to admit I'd be pretty irked if people started copying me and selling at lower prices.
#12 of 41 Old 03-17-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleklu View Post
I guess I mostly feel bad for the WAHMs who are on there because whenever someone copies a design, then they lose sales. I mean first someone could start out making it for themselves, then give them as presents, and then have people ask them to make the same thing for them. I would be mad if I was making toys and someone copied the same exact design. But I guess there are only limited number of ways to draw a bear or make a snap diaper.

I've been thinking about this for awhile because I see people posting similar toys to those on Etsy and then I read an Etsy seller who said she was the first to do the wood burning designs on them. I think she wasn't mad that people started copying her, but I have to admit I'd be pretty irked if people started copying me and selling at lower prices.
I agree, especially about the wooden toys enhanced with the woodburning. No matter how much I could gain from copying her images, I would feel too icky for taking advantage of that idea.

I don't see any problem with searching online stores, from big chain retailers to smaller etsy sellers, for new ideas, shapes, and color combos. I see it as "window shopping". That's not the same as trying to *reproduce* an item as closely as possible for monetary gain. The two just aren't the same, and it seems that the majority of crafters have a similar opinion.
#13 of 41 Old 03-18-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphire View Post
I agree, especially about the wooden toys enhanced with the woodburning. No matter how much I could gain from copying her images, I would feel too icky for taking advantage of that idea.

I don't see any problem with searching online stores, from big chain retailers to smaller etsy sellers, for new ideas, shapes, and color combos. I see it as "window shopping". That's not the same as trying to *reproduce* an item as closely as possible for monetary gain. The two just aren't the same, and it seems that the majority of crafters have a similar opinion.

The problem with "window shopping" as you call it, is that copy cat artist pick the most unique details off of your work to use on their items. They don't copy the whole thing, just the best of it and then call it their own. It's hard to deal with gracefully, when you see knock offs like this all the time. People! Do your own work come up with your own ideas. It's as simple as that.
#14 of 41 Old 03-18-2009, 04:58 AM

I wouldn't "copy" or even come close to copying something from etsy for sale. If I got inspiration from something I saw there, it depends on the type of inspiration. If it was like someone had made a type of wooden elephants that sparked a mental train of thought that ended in me making woolen sewn elephants, I would have no issues selling it. If it were something like, Boojboo who is the first person I've seen to put darts in an apron, I'm not sure. Its genius. Is it her idea only? certainly in some ways no, but I'd also feel like I was sort of encroaching on her territory. It depends. If I took the darts idea and used it on my own aprons that were radically different than hers, probably I'd sell them. Afterall, darts in clothing are a widespread thing. I wouldn't sell aprons that were very similar to hers though.

Now, for personal use, if I decided I wanted to try to make something like something I saw on etsy, I would have no qualms at all. I wouldn't copy the exact thing for example trying to use the exact fabric and trying to copy the exact shape, but trying to replicate the shape, or being inspired by fabric with cupcakes on it, well, in my opinion its fine. I have a serious case of "I can make that"itis, and I don't think its a problem to try to make things myself. If I were selling things on etsy, I would have no problems with people trying to make things like mine for themselves, and glad they were inspired by me. I'd only have issues if they tried to copy my designs for sale.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#15 of 41 Old 03-18-2009, 12:41 PM

As a child growing up in a family w/ 4 kids & no money to buy extras my mom copied a lot of things for us. there were many things that we could not ever afford to buy, but that my mom could make from things found around the house (she had a stash of supplies bought at yard & rummage sales or given to us by people in our church who knew our situation). I have no problem w/ that kind of copying. the original producer was in no way losing a customer (b/c we couldn't afford to buy) & my mom was not selling it was for her children's personal use.

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#16 of 41 Old 03-20-2009, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleklu View Post
She might have been the first person doing wood burning on Etsy when she started but I'm sure she wasn't the first person who thought about painting and woodburning designs.

My grandmother made me blocks as a child that were painted and then woodburned so that stuff isn't particularly new.
#17 of 41 Old 03-20-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junipervt View Post
As a child growing up in a family w/ 4 kids & no money to buy extras my mom copied a lot of things for us. there were many things that we could not ever afford to buy, but that my mom could make from things found around the house (she had a stash of supplies bought at yard & rummage sales or given to us by people in our church who knew our situation). I have no problem w/ that kind of copying. the original producer was in no way losing a customer (b/c we couldn't afford to buy) & my mom was not selling it was for her children's personal use.
This is where we are right now. I won't sell those things, they are just for us.
#18 of 41 Old 03-20-2009, 04:27 PM

I don't believe there is such a thing as a new idea. There just isn't. There is are a limited number of ways of doing things. I think it is wrong to outright exactly copy someone else's work for sale, but if you happen to make something similar to another seller? How would they EVER know that you got the idea from them? Where did they get the idea? Did they come up with it or did they see something like it one day and it just stuck in the back of their mind? There is no way anyone can ever know exactly where their inspiration comes from. There are no new ideas.

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#19 of 41 Old 03-20-2009, 04:45 PM

So true alice. Look at other examples of things spontaniously arising in different places with likely no interaction: did you know that as well as being an ancient chinese therapy, its also an ancient therapy from.... oh dear, I'm afraid too much info got stuffed into my brain at the conference. I think it might be guatamala? Somewhere in central america. The midwives in central america said they learned it "from god". I know there are some other things that are even more striking, where people suddenly developed it at similar points in time, all over the world. Maybe it was agriculture? I'm not sure. anyways, ideas sometimes arise spontaneously, and sometimes not. Unless its the same exact thing, that's just the process of human creativity.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#20 of 41 Old 03-21-2009, 01:05 AM

If some says there are no new ideas, that's because they never had one.
#21 of 41 Old 03-21-2009, 01:32 AM

If I'm looking for inspiration, like for cloth pads, to use for myself, I totally go around browsing around.

If I was going to be selling them, though, I wouldn't intentionally copy another's design.

Newly single, chronically sleep deprived mama to my little wild thang wild.gif, born 11/17/12 

fly-by-nursing1.gif

#22 of 41 Old 03-25-2009, 05:19 PM

I have been thinking about this because we have decided to make a card table play house for our son.

This "inspiration" is this Etsy shop.
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=6117191

I was feeling bad about taking the idea and then I found this book:
Sandra Betzina Sews For Your Home

So obviously many ideas are from this book. Then is it okay to use some of the new ideas like velcro fruit for the tree?

Just some things I had been wondering about.

ETA - This is for personal use. Won't be selling them!
#23 of 41 Old 03-25-2009, 05:55 PM

I think the S. Betzina's book and the etsy shop are a good example of the point some people are trying to make. The card table playhouse is not a "new" idea, the details a craftperson uses to make a signature item is what sets the product apart.

Have fun making the playhouse!
#24 of 41 Old 03-25-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saphire View Post
I think the S. Betzina's book and the etsy shop are a good example of the point some people are trying to make. The card table playhouse is not a "new" idea, the details a craftperson uses to make a signature item is what sets the product apart.

Have fun making the playhouse!

Yes, I agree that it is the details, such as the 3D mailbox, the beauty parlor wigs and so forth which set this concept apart from the one in the book. Now when another person comes along, see the book and then sees the ETSY site and says to themselves, "I'll make a beauty parlor with wigs, too. Card table playhouses have been around forever so I'm not copying." It is this behavior that I have a problem with and your see it quite frequently in conjunction with the false statement, "There is nothing new under the sun."

ETA: I personally have no issue with anyone who copies my works for personal use and have been know to gift materials for the purpose to mamas who want to make a toy or doll for their LOs and can't afford it. I do take issue when people copy for profit, absolutely whether it's my work being copied or any other artist.
#25 of 41 Old 03-27-2009, 03:21 PM

What about the etsy sellers who've "copied" from big name toy companies? In particular I'm thinking of those element stackers (fire, water, rainbows, etc) that you see all over etsy now. Weren't those first sold by Spiel and Holz? That's just 1 example; I see a ton of wooden figures on etsy that are almost identical to the Ostheimer ones. Is it ok to copy from a big company but not a small etsy seller? Just wondering if people feel differently about that issue.

A happy woman
#26 of 41 Old 03-30-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by operamommy View Post
What about the etsy sellers who've "copied" from big name toy companies? In particular I'm thinking of those element stackers (fire, water, rainbows, etc) that you see all over etsy now. Weren't those first sold by Spiel and Holz? That's just 1 example; I see a ton of wooden figures on etsy that are almost identical to the Ostheimer ones. Is it ok to copy from a big company but not a small etsy seller? Just wondering if people feel differently about that issue.
:
I addressed that in my OP but no one has offered their opinions on that. Hopefully people don't JUST care when it is affecting them.

Personally, after I ordered my Speil and Holz stackers I considered returning them to buy some off Etsy because I wanted to support handmade items, especially if they were made by WAHMs. I decided to just keep ours because our daughter seemed to like them already. I don't think it is okay for people to copy big manufacturers. Don't they have their designs copyrighted?
#27 of 41 Old 03-30-2009, 07:15 PM

I don't thinks it's ok to copy "big" businesses at all, but I think it's much more common and more damaging when big businesses copy artists. "Designers" constantly shop Etsy, HC and all over the net for new ideas that they submit to the companies that employ them. Companies have unlimited resources to manufacture huge quantities of product and big budgets for marketing advertising. It's made me very wary of showing my work on line.

This product of Hillary Lang's was knocked off by a manufacturer in Australia and only because one of her fans saw the counterfeit product and gave her a head's up was she able to pursue them.

http://weewonderfuls.typepad.com/wee...spaceboy-.html

When an artist makes a couple of knockoffs to sell on ETSY it doesn't make that big of a dent, but when hundreds of artist do it, it can really hurt a small business. Copying is just not ok, at all. Do unto others...
#28 of 41 Old 03-30-2009, 10:33 PM

Hi,

So, I have been reading some of your posts here regarding copying people on Etsy and using what you copy for personal use.

I believe that all artists are inspired by each other. I often see things and think, "wow, great idea! I could do that!" Sometimes, I try to make what I have seen, sometimes I don't. One thing I do not do, however, is copy other people and sell the items myself.

You all were talking about my playhouses. Obviously, not a new idea, so nobody needs to feel bad about making their own card table playhouse. I did not invent this idea, and I would never say it was my own idea. HOWEVER, my designs are copyrighted and trademarked and several are patent protected. My business attorney vigorously defends my business against anyone who blatantly copies my designs for resale. This is my business, I take it seriously, and I have a large, thriving off-Etsy toy business as well. If you want to copy what I make for your own family or to give as gifts, great! You will see exactly how much time and care I put into each of these playhouses. If you copy my designs and sell them, you will hear from my attorney. There are many sellers on Etsy who have attorneys who protect their designs as well, so you should be careful about who you copy. This is not being rude or selfish, it is just business.

Etsy artists spend hours developing their products, and many of them support their families with the money they make on that site. I hope all readers will consider their hard work and be respectful and not blatantly copy those artists for resale.
#29 of 41 Old 04-02-2009, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Interesting question! I was talking to a friend the other day who makes her own baby clothes (out of old sweaters felted and resewn, old linen tablecloths etc; all very organic and eco and MDCish). She said she goes to baby clothes shops sometimes to see what styles are 'in', then goes home and makes them herself. The stores aren't losing a sale because she wouldn't have bought the items in the first place; she just would have made less 'fashionable' clothes herself at home. One could even argue that her baby clothes were 'free advertising' for the pattern styles; if people admired her babies' tops, they might be more likely to look for that kind of top in the baby shops. It never occurred to me to think she was an evil pattern-stealer.

Example two... I bought some fabric to make DD some tops and trousers, which will in part be based on some baby clothes my sister sent her from England. They won't be entirely identical, because my sewing skills aren't great and I can't actually figure out how the originals were done; plus, I want them to be slightly longer/lined differently/not need buttonholes; plus I don't have a serger; and so on. In fact, I realised yesterday I could probably make the trousers by looking at the bought ones and then adapting a bought-and-paid-for bloomers pattern I already have. So as an amalgamation, I think it's perfectly legit; but even as a 'direct' ripoff-altered-only-by-circumstances-beyond-my-control, I don't know that I would have had a problem with it (which is not to say there isn't one, of course, just that I hadn't thought of it). No sale lost for them, no money gained by me.

What about trying on wedding dresses to get an idea of what looks good? I did that; Mum made the dress. I would have bought a dress if it had been the right price, and we didn't copy any of the dresses specifically (plus Mum changed the pattern a week before the wedding because the top wasn't working right, which is another story and a sad one!); plus of course we paid our $20 for the privilege of trying them on. So, any thoughts on that?

I'm always interested in intellectual property discussions, as a Linux-using somewhat-anti-copyright open-sourcey person. I think things can get particularly fuzzy on the Internet, which people tend to see as a source of free, good ideas and shared information. (And free step-by-step photographed craft tutorials are, IMO, more or less the best thing ever). I wonder if there's some kind of protocol on how disseminated an idea has to be before it's considered fair game...

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#30 of 41 Old 04-02-2009, 07:26 PM

Garments and other useful objects are not protected by copyright in the US. Artworks such as fine art, photographs, jewelry designs, sculpture, including dolls and other arts works are protected from the moment they are produced.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page