diaper flannel dyeing disaster:( - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-25-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I thought I would be brilliant and dye my plain white diaper flannel into beautiful soft colors. I had no clue what I was doing and used a rit type dye(yes, I know better now!). I haven't made diapers out of it yet as I just realized the fabric is bleeding. I made a very pale yellow, very pale orange, a raspberry red, purple and sage green. I don't know if the yellow and orange are bleeding but the red sure does! I'm sure the purple and green are as well.

Anyone with personal experience fixing a mistake like this? Is it possible to just wash it out if I do it a few times? I really am disappointed I screwed up my flannel

Jenny
#2 of 6 Old 03-27-2009, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Can anyone help me? Am I the only one to do such a thing to my fabric?
#3 of 6 Old 03-27-2009, 04:35 PM

What about washing it in either a) a really hot wash a few times to get out all the loose dye or b) with a vinegar rise to lock in some of the colour?

I bet that after a few good washes all the loose dye will be gone. Just make sure you use some vinegar in the rinse cycle. It should help.

Proud Mummy to Zoe, my nutty preschooler : (11/05) and Daniel, my homebirthed baby (12/09)
#4 of 6 Old 03-27-2009, 05:34 PM

Red has a propensity to bleed, so red, orange and purple are the most likely ones to bleed. I believe there is a dye fixative you can get to wash them in, but they may just need more rinses, or a vinegar rinse.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#5 of 6 Old 04-03-2009, 12:30 AM

I've heard that a cup of salt can help act as a fixative. Good luck!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#6 of 6 Old 06-06-2009, 11:03 PM

oh golly... rit is terrible. Washing soda and salt will help but don't expect the colors to last they will become paler and paler red and black i found continue to bleed for a long long time.... all it takes is the right liquid or the right amount of time left in the machine next to another to bleed all over .... i also found as my LO began solids some of the more acidic poop caused a bleaching of the color in spots.

a few years back i dyed a batch black, i used them for about 6 months in a large rotation by the time i was done they were a light blue gray.

i gave up on Rit long ago.... i found Dylon to be a tad better but not much, for cotton u really need fiber reactive dyes they're not that expensive and u can pick up primary kits from dharma trading for a decent price.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page