Learning to Knit Support & Chat Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 04-22-2009, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started a knitting class on Monday. It was very helpful. I am making a pretty bag that I will felt. The instructions for making the handles were like a foreign language to me (I had to do an I Cord), but the instructor helped me & it was actually pretty easy. So now I decided I need to have a more challenging project for the class, bc it doesn't make sense for me to go & just work on stuff I can already do. I am going to make my first sweater!! I found an easy (I hope) pattern. Now I just need to find some affordable yarn that I like. (The one the pattern used cost over $20/skein, and I'll need 9!) My plan is I'll work on the sweater in class & do what I can at home. Then I'll have a back up easy project for at home when the sweater is on hold - yes, I'm obsessed.

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
#62 of 66 Old 04-23-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*max*~ View Post
I started a knitting class on Monday. It was very helpful. I am making a pretty bag that I will felt. The instructions for making the handles were like a foreign language to me (I had to do an I Cord), but the instructor helped me & it was actually pretty easy. So now I decided I need to have a more challenging project for the class, bc it doesn't make sense for me to go & just work on stuff I can already do. I am going to make my first sweater!! I found an easy (I hope) pattern. Now I just need to find some affordable yarn that I like. (The one the pattern used cost over $20/skein, and I'll need 9!) My plan is I'll work on the sweater in class & do what I can at home. Then I'll have a back up easy project for at home when the sweater is on hold - yes, I'm obsessed.
I know what you mean! I am making a harry potter scarf and the yarn it asked for was not super pricey but more than I could spend. I ended up finding some Caron One POund skeins at Joann in very similar colors and it is turning out very nicely if I do say so myself. Good luck finding affordable yarn, it can be done! If you have a Joann nearby, sign up for the newsletter, I get coupons online or in the mail every week. Same for michaels if you have one.

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#63 of 66 Old 04-23-2009, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boricuaqueen327 View Post
I know what you mean! I am making a harry potter scarf and the yarn it asked for was not super pricey but more than I could spend. I ended up finding some Caron One POund skeins at Joann in very similar colors and it is turning out very nicely if I do say so myself. Good luck finding affordable yarn, it can be done! If you have a Joann nearby, sign up for the newsletter, I get coupons online or in the mail every week. Same for michaels if you have one.
Good advice. Thank you!

#64 of 66 Old 04-23-2009, 05:53 PM

No problem!

momma to 8 yr old ddjoy.gif.  Furmom to our menagerie:   2dog2.gif , 1cat.gif, 2 goldfish.gif,  2 hamster.jpg,  and 1 silly rabbit. 

#65 of 66 Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Just a little bump up to announce that I've finally joined the sinister underworld of knitting fanatics. I started hanging out with a group of women, most of whom knit, and it was a good motivator to learn something I've always wanted to know.

I've taken 3 classes so far and started no projects. I've learned casting on, knitting, purling, stockinette stitches, decreasing, and cabling. I'm not going to start any official project until I master the fine art of correcting mistakes with the crochet hook. I haven't read all of the posts but look forward to seeing photos of everybody's projects and progress. I get my Ravelry invite within a day, so I hope to post some of my own.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#66 of 66 Old 05-01-2009, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome Turquesa! Sounds like you are off to a great start!

I finished my felt bag & really like it. This is a good beginner project if anyone is looking for one - simple stitches, easy pattern and the felting process is pretty cool. Now I'm working on my sweater. I definitely need the classes for this, bc I've never done a lot of the instructions in the pattern.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page