color craft ideas needed! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-02-2009, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yesterday my oldest(will be 4 in may) was busy sorting his alphabet puzzle pieces by color. I want to help him have more fun sorting colors but cant think of anything!! I need ideas ladies!

-Alyssa , SAHM to Elijah(4) Josiah(2) Abram(1) and proud wife to my mechanic Tyler
Baby #4 is on the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 04-02-2009, 04:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I made a game with clothes pegs and a shoe box. Thee were the wooden push on pegs, not clip ones. Anyway I painted each side of the shoe box a different colour then painted the pegs to match. My brother spent ages matching the pegs.

For my own children I have painted some pegs and they enjoyed hanging up wash cloths on a drying rack. You could paint pegs to match the cloths.

DS (2) also likes sorting craft pom poms into egg boxes. We often colour the bottom of the little cup for him to match the colours.

Treasure hunts are always fun. Use coloured card to make matching pairs of cards (eg 2 green, 2 red etc) you could make them all different shapes too.Hide one set of cards, then give your little one a card and see if they can find the matching one.

How about giving them a basket and seeing how many red things they can find, then how many blue and so on.

DD (4) likes me to make towers out of duplo and then she makes an identical one. We do the same thing with threading beads. Sometimes I draw a series of dots and she has to thread beads to match my pattern.
#3 of 4 Old 04-02-2009, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughingHyena View Post
I made a game with clothes pegs and a shoe box. Thee were the wooden push on pegs, not clip ones. Anyway I painted each side of the shoe box a different colour then painted the pegs to match. My brother spent ages matching the pegs.

For my own children I have painted some pegs and they enjoyed hanging up wash cloths on a drying rack. You could paint pegs to match the cloths.

DS (2) also likes sorting craft pom poms into egg boxes. We often colour the bottom of the little cup for him to match the colours.

Treasure hunts are always fun. Use coloured card to make matching pairs of cards (eg 2 green, 2 red etc) you could make them all different shapes too.Hide one set of cards, then give your little one a card and see if they can find the matching one.

How about giving them a basket and seeing how many red things they can find, then how many blue and so on.

DD (4) likes me to make towers out of duplo and then she makes an identical one. We do the same thing with threading beads. Sometimes I draw a series of dots and she has to thread beads to match my pattern.
These are very creative ideas, thanks so much for sharing them!! I cant wait to try them out!

-Alyssa , SAHM to Elijah(4) Josiah(2) Abram(1) and proud wife to my mechanic Tyler
Baby #4 is on the way!
#4 of 4 Old 04-03-2009, 10:35 PM

If he's got all the basic colors down and you want to work on color combinations (blue and red make purple, etc.) you could create a Venn diagram with the three outside circles as the primary colors, each overlapping section the appropriate secondary color, and the center black (for the mixture of all the colors).

Then you could use colored coins, fabric scraps, or whatever to sort into the appropriate categories.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page