Dying Advice? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-07-2009, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi There,
I want to dye some prefolds and am looking for some advice. I'm looking at these dyes from Dharma Trading Co., and am wondering, first of all, if someone knows how far 2 oz. of dye with go. Secondly, it says that other chemicals (soda ash fixative and "other chemicals") in order for them to work properly. Can anyone tell me just what these mysterious "other chemicals" are?

Any other tips are greatly appreciated, too--I may try to tie-dye a few, but I mostly just want to dye them in solid, vibrant colors.

Thanks!
#2 of 6 Old 04-07-2009, 06:10 PM

The one time I tie-dyed, we used soaked the shirts in soda ash and urea overnight, then spun them out in the washer.

The dye goes pretty far ... I can't remember exactly, but you get a lot of bang for your buck. Make sure you follow the mixing directions, though, to get the brightness of color that your looking for.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#3 of 6 Old 04-07-2009, 06:18 PM

The Dharma tie-dye kit should go pretty far for prefolds. Also order some synthropol for a post-wash.
#4 of 6 Old 04-19-2009, 04:27 PM

I'm going to use "dylon" dye instead, I think it will be more simple and other people seem to be happy with their results! people say not to use "Rit" because it bleeds a lot after dying, although some have used that and liked it too. As for what you are looking at using, I dont know about urea but I know that soda ash is also called "washing soda". (Its a main ingredient in making home made dishwasher detergent AND laundry detergent-I'm a big fan) and you can find washing soda in laundry isles, although it can be hard to find. I found mine at our military commissary but some people can find it at their local walmarts or grocery stores. It can also be found in pool supply stores-where it will be labeled soda ash. Otherwise I think if you go to arm and hammer online they will help locate a store in your area that sells their washing soda. But like I said, I'm just going to find some dylon in a fabric store because I dont want to overcomplicate things for just a few diapers.
#5 of 6 Old 04-24-2009, 08:44 PM

I've been planning to dye some fitteds soon with Dharma stuff.

Does anyone have an opinion on the residue that might be left on diapers and whether it would irritate or be dangerous for Baby long-term?
#6 of 6 Old 04-25-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by because View Post
I've been planning to dye some fitteds soon with Dharma stuff.

Does anyone have an opinion on the residue that might be left on diapers and whether it would irritate or be dangerous for Baby long-term?
If you are dyeing and rinsing properly there should be no residue. Fiber Reactive dyes become a part of the fiber on a molecular level so it is washfast and permanent.

As for dyeing aides like urea or other stuff they recommend, you don't need it for basic dyeing. Soda ash is all you need. You can get it at any pool supply store and the big box lumber stores(Lowes etc) sell it too under the name Ph-Up. Washing soda is an acceptable alternative but many brands put additives in it(detergents and brighteners) so avoid them if you can b/c they can interfere with the dye process.

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page