Has anybody made a growth chart... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-10-2009, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
that they are really happy with? My parents marked our height on the wall in our house, which is neat 'cause they still live there, but I don't think we'll be in our current place that long. Im looking for any great ideas of an easy to make at home one for somebody who is none-too artistic when is comes to drawing (so I am a little unsure about canvas and paint).

I saw one that had a measuring tape sewed onto it - that is kind of a neat idea, I don't know, just seems like there are probably all kinds of neat ways to do this, using recycled materials and whatnot, but for some reason my brain is in a rut with the paint on canvas thing, there's no way I can afford the ones I really like on etsy that are like 60-90 bucks + shipping.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 04-12-2009, 02:15 PM

I haven't actually made it, but I've purchased the wood. It was a four foot piece of lighter/softer wood from Lowe's.

I plan on making the bottom her "birth" height and just go up to whatever the top will be - just under six feet. Painting the whole thing white, making huge pink circles on the side, name on the top, hanging on a ribbon. It will match the rest of her room's theme.

Up to this point I've used the same yardstick and measured her each birthday.

I want to say the whole project will cost +/-$5 - with a few years of time because I'm lazy.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#3 of 7 Old 04-13-2009, 11:13 AM

My sister sewed one for DS.

The design is a tree with bugs and bird and butterfly buttons (those decorative buttons they sella t JoAnn's etc) sewn on. She started with light blue fabric, then cut out green fabric and sewed it on the bottom. Then she cut out the tree design and sewed it on.

She but a layer of quilt batting in the middle and the blue fabric on the back. She sewed the bug/bird/etc buttons through all the layers to "quilt it" so it would stay together. Then she sewed binding around the edge.

She hand embroidered the ruler markings on. Every 6 months I measure DS and hand embroider his height and age.

If you PM me your email address I can email you a pic of it.

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#4 of 7 Old 04-14-2009, 11:11 AM

A couple people PM'ed me and I am replying here so I just have to do it one

I forgot to take pics last night, and I am going to be out fo the hosue tonight, but I will send them tomorrow night.

Suzan

Suzan, mama to DS 9-18-07 and #2 EDD 3/4/10 GIRL!.
#5 of 7 Old 04-17-2009, 12:52 PM

but my SIL and BIL did. You can see it here.

HTH

DS is 4!
DD 8/10/10!
#6 of 7 Old 04-17-2009, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redheaded_Momma View Post
but my SIL and BIL did. You can see it here.

HTH
Oh my gosh.....that is it - is it OK if I completely rip off this idea? It is so simple, easy to do, and I love that it looks like daddy's measuring tape (a favorite toy). It is wonderful, and funny, my son's name is Willie! Thank you so much for posting!
#7 of 7 Old 04-20-2009, 02:22 PM

Absolutely! I don't think it was that difficult to make either. It's just painting and putting the inch marks on the wood. Glad I could help!

DS is 4!
DD 8/10/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page