Elizabeth Lee's Diaper Pattern, Pooh Pockets, and Wal-Mart Pattern... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-05-2004, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! New here. Before I order or go out and purchase a pettern, can someone with experience on one or more of these patterns help me out a bit? Mainly, I'm not picky about design or maker, just want something that works and is easy to understand for a beginning sewer. Not much time to spare either.

Also if anyone uses the Elizabeth Lee's Pattern for the Baby Sling, I would love to know if the pattern is easy to follow, and how do you like the sling?:
#2 of 7 Old 01-05-2004, 05:04 PM

I have the poo pockets pattern. It is very easy for a sewing beginner. I added some aplix (velcro) to the tabs for easier closing. There are a few problems I found with this pattern though. First, since it is a "one size" pattern, it is pretty big. Too big still for my 10 pound babe. I also bought the tiny poo pockets pattern - smaller dipes. It fits, but I don't feel it is very absorbant. Once I get the sewing machine out again (stored it for Christmas) I will make some more, but add more to the absorbant pad - hopefully this will help so she can wear it for more than 20 minutes at a time. I haven't tried the other patterns, so I can't help you there. Hope this helps you a little.
#3 of 7 Old 01-05-2004, 07:05 PM

*this will probably get moved to sewing and crafts *

ELD patterns are very easy and the instructions are wonderful for all levels. The sling pattern is pretty much your basic sling. You can change the padding for whatever you prefer. I loved having a sling when they were little!

cant help you on the pattern part, but there are some good sewing instructions and links over at www.onestopdiapershop.com She has links to all the diaper sewing junk you could ever want or need.

Have fun!
#4 of 7 Old 01-05-2004, 08:01 PM

Quote:
*this will probably get moved to sewing and crafts *
#5 of 7 Old 01-05-2004, 09:44 PM

i got a super easy diaper pattern from Hancock but you could get it anywhere that sells Kwik Sew patterns...it's pattern #2062. i really like it. it has like 5 or 6 different sizes to choose from all in the same envelope. the smallest is *adorable* i made one just to see what it would look like...it would make an awesome doll diaper (i have 3 boys, so i won't be making any for dolls). anyway, it only cost like $7.95 i think...super easy!
#6 of 7 Old 01-06-2004, 03:46 AM

HI I started with free patterns to see if was able to sew a diaper at all. I'm a new sewer so I was scared to run out buy a pattern, buy the fabrics and couldn't read the pattern. So I started a post on "tips of how to make cloth diapers."

http://216.92.20.151/discussions/sho...hreadid=102300

Some of the ladies put great free pattern websites. Plus when you surf for free patterns you find some more as well. As well as how to make baby clothes etc. Oh I'm excited now!
With the patterns I made a cute first diaper out of used materials. A old flannel sheet for $1.00, old towel for .50, and swimmers elastic for oh I don't remember, 59 yard? Anyhow I was so proud of my diaper! Now that's I'm getting the hang of sewing the diapers, I'm try to buy the special fabrics to test them out. Then if I want to get really crafty I'll start buying the pricey patterns. Who knows I might get good enough to want to start selling them! Ha HA!
This was my favorite website so far:
http://www.geocities.com/mytafadhali...rials.htm:love
#7 of 7 Old 01-06-2004, 10:47 PM

i'm only doing pocket dipes these days....but i did make some poopockets for dd when she was little. they were too big. they would fit today, except she is too darn squirmy to get diaper + diaper cover onto her bum.

For a time we were doing fitted dipes and covers....i started with the poopockets pattern, reduced it by 20%, enlongated the tabs so they look more like disposable diaper tabs and added velcro tabs. I usually make it with a velour inner, flannel outer and cotton sherpa inner. I found that the *one* place to splurge is on the soaker fabric. Three layers of sherpa will beat five layers of flannel any day.

I haven't made the kwik sew pattern, but I think www.diapersewing.com has more info.

Kristin -- mom of Erin (11/5/02) and Leah (9/29/05)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page