Do you think this will work? PLEASE-need help!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-19-2009, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd is outgrowing the fuzzi bunz we have. She is potty trained, but still wets while sleeping, so that's when she wears them. rather than buying more in a larger size, i figured i would try making some (we only need 4, since she needs them for nap/night and we wash every other day). so hears my plan, tel me what you think...
i would like to make a pocket trainer, along the lines of a moe trainer. i'm planning on using a combo of these patterns http://www.thenappynetwork.org.nz/im...a_Knickers.pdf and http://www.freewebs.com/kait_kayley/...ionsbetter.pdf but use a fold over elastic. what do you think? will that work? we have plenty of inserts already fro the fb's so i was figuring on just making a pocket trainer, but without snaps or anything, just a traditional pull-up style. any input would be appreciated, since i've never attempted to do anything like this before. i've never sewn elastic, but i have this tutorial to work from. seems pretty self explanatory. i figure i can just sew around the waist (and legs) and fold it under to make an end seem, rather than attach the ends of the "wings" since i won't have any. unlehttp://www.mothering.com/discussions/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=319ss it would be easier to to make separate leg cuffs and a waistband and then just attach them to the main part, but i don't know if my dd will like the boy-leg cut, so i think i'm gonna stick with the foe.
ok, i'd LOVE some feedback. Anxiously awaiting....TIA!!

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

#2 of 6 Old 04-20-2009, 09:52 PM

The only thing I can't picture is how you'll make the opening for your pocket if you plan to bind the waist with foe? It's hard to explain these things in writing, so maybe you explained that part already. I'm just picturing with the FOE that your front and back edges will be enclosed in the foe...

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#3 of 6 Old 04-20-2009, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, i was thinking about that part last night. i figured, once i get to about 1/4 way through the back, i would separate the outer and lining pieces, hem the lining, and sew the foe just to the outer pul-similar to what is done with fuzzi bunz-then rejoin the outer and lining pieces 1/4 way to the sides. does that make any sense?
i was also planning on just dissecting a pair of her undies to get the right size. thanks for your help!!

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

#4 of 6 Old 04-23-2009, 09:51 PM

Yup - I think that would work. You could just purposely cut your fleece inner like 1/2 shorter in the back (where the pocket would be), so it lies nicely and you can keep the liner out of the foe in that area. I hope that makes sense.

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#5 of 6 Old 04-23-2009, 10:18 PM - Thread Starter

yes, it does. few more questions for you...
i measured my daughters undies. they have a 17" waist-8" in the front, 9" in back. i'm going to make the waist a little higher, since her undies are kinda like bikinis (i know, right, for a 4 yo?), but should i make them the same dimensions or a little wider waist? also, i tried making a protoype out of cotton, just to see if i got it right, but since i had no elastic and it wasn't a knit (aka stretchy) fabric. it came out great, i was pretty impressed with myself!! however, they didn't go past her knees, although the dimensions were right. i want to get this right so i don't waste the pul and fleece. suggestions? i'm pm'ing you this info, too, since it seems we're the only ones in on this convo!! thanks again.

#6 of 6 Old 05-24-2009, 08:48 PM

Did you already get this worked out? I think probably they were too small because you need to cut your fabric using meas. from her panties when they're stretched out, and then the elastic you put in will smallen the pull-up to the unstretched dimensions of the panties.

Laura, Mom to Julia, 3 years, and expecting #2 in June 2011!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page