Flying with craft items...knitting, etc. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-25-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey all. I don't travel much, especially since the security crackdowns on flights in the US.

So, I'll be travelling cross country next month and I was hoping to take my knitting and crochet with me. I wanted to take a couple sizes of circullar needles, crochet hooks, and a small pair of scissors with my projects.

I didn't see anything prohibiting these items on TSA's website, but I've heard stories of people having trouble with some things depending on which airport they're going through.

Anyone have trouble with things like knitting needles, small scissors, etc.?

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
#2 of 12 Old 04-25-2009, 08:26 PM

Don't know about knitting needles, but scissors for sure will be confiscated. I'm pretty sure they haven't allowed scissors for years. I used to carry a pair of fingernail clippers (without an attached nail file) to make small cuts. I don't know if those are still allowed or not.

Amy loving DH 5/04, raising DD 2/05 and DS 11/09; missing my mom& my babies 6/07, 12/07; and on the side
#3 of 12 Old 04-26-2009, 07:31 PM

All of the airlines Ive been on wont allow knitting needles, sharp point, so you might decide to stab someone.

Crochet hooks should be ok, no sharp ends and they are shorter.

Sissors - nope. I brought some tiny tiny ones with round tips that come with hotel sewing kits and those were fine. Nail clipper size isnt ok, neither is regular nail clippers - apparantly you might stab someone with those too.

BUT if you decide to bring your bowling ball and bowling trophy mounted on a marble base with sharp corners, and metal eagle on top with sharp wings, then thats totally fine - bowling trophys arent on their 'list'

They are super paranoid about anything with a real blade on it though, doesnt matter how tiny it is.
#4 of 12 Old 04-26-2009, 08:10 PM

I've flown with knitting needles, and no one said a word. TSA does say that you should bring a SASE with you in case they won't let you take them through security, though.

Mama to DS1 (2/08) and DS2 (9/10).
#5 of 12 Old 04-26-2009, 09:41 PM

I came across this page one day:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1252.shtm
Quote:
Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage. However, there is a possibility that the needles can be perceived as a possible weapon by one of our Security Officers. Our Security Officers have the authority to determine if an item could be used as a weapon and may not allow said item to pass through security. We recommend the following when bring knitting needles on an airplane:

* Circular knitting needles are recommended to be less than 31 inches in total length
* We recommend that the needles be made of bamboo or plastic (Not Metal)
* Scissors must have blunt points
* In case a Security Officer does not allow your knitting tools through security it is recommended that you carry a self addressed envelope so that you can mail your tools back to yourself as opposed to surrendering them at the security check point.

Most of the items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside. These items cannot be taken through a security checkpoint. They must go in your checked baggage.
#6 of 12 Old 04-27-2009, 07:05 PM

I've never had an trouble with knitting needles, but I usually take circular or really pointy "sock" double-points. I have a set of nail clippers attached to my keys and haven't had any trouble with them. Of course, I always get putted over by the TSA to be extra searched, so I don't know what exactly they think. I've had lots of knitting friends tell me that the TSA sees you more favorably if there is actually knitting attached to your needles!

I thought I read on the TSA website that you could take sissors that had blades less than 4". Not sure. But, seriously, you could kill anyone with anything. Especially bamboo needles
#7 of 12 Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 PM

last time I flew I had a bunch of circulars/interchangable tips with me and no one said a word about it. I asked a friend who is a TSA and she said it was fine. I did have to open my baggage, and I got really nervous about the knitting stuff and said, "oh yeah, I have a bunch of knitting needles in there" and the agent looked at me and said, "we don't care about that... this is what we saw..." and pointed at my pile of chargers (cell phone charger/ipod charger/camera charger) and told me the wires all in the same area showed up on the scanner.

R~mama to 3

#8 of 12 Old 04-27-2009, 07:13 PM

About 6 years ago, I had knitting needles taken. Since then, I checked their website, and they say they allow knitting needles. I've taken knitting needles, sewing needles, darning needles all on plans with no problem recently. I either tear the thread with my teeth or used nail clippers, since the only little scissors I have are on swiss army knives.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#9 of 12 Old 04-29-2009, 08:37 PM

What about those folding scissors? I carry those around in my knitting bag. I'm going to NY from Oregon in May.

Julieknit.gif, DP to modifiedartist.gif, mama to DD (7)dust.gif , and DS (5)joy.gif

#10 of 12 Old 05-06-2009, 08:33 AM

As you've read already, knitting needles should be fine - especially if you bring bamboo circulars.

I know that TSA says you should bring a SASE, just in case they don't allow you to take an item through security, but has anyone else noticed that there are no mailboxes near security? And usually, once I've made it to the front of the line at security, there is no way I'm going to leave the line to find a mailbox. And no, security officers won't drop it off for you later.

Don't bring along your favorite and most costly Addi circulars, because THOSE will be the ones they confiscate. Go buy a cheap pair of bamboo ones that you won't miss, and if they say you can't board with them, pull them out of your knitting and hand them over (keeping your yarn).

As for scissors, my sister has a little pair of Hello Kitty scissors that she carries in her needlework, and they always let her through. No one would possibly commit a crime with Hello Kitty scissors, right?
#11 of 12 Old 05-06-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

"Most of the items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside. These items cannot be taken through a security checkpoint. They must go in your checked baggage. "

Okay, so does this mean that one of those pendants used to cut thread, etc. wouldn't be allowed?

loving a small homestead with DH and DS (12/2005) keeping it natural, frugal and back to basics :
#12 of 12 Old 05-06-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abarat View Post
"Most of the items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside. These items cannot be taken through a security checkpoint. They must go in your checked baggage. "

Okay, so does this mean that one of those pendants used to cut thread, etc. wouldn't be allowed?
Yes, that's what they are talking about, but if you wore it as jewelry I wonder if they'd realize what it was?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page