Forgot to pre-wash quilt fabric - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found a bag full of quilt-making supplies and 1/2 of a quilt from 15 years ago ... And I decided to finish it.

I had not pre-washed the fabric in the half already done, so I didn't wash the fabric I used to finish it.

Now that the top and bottoms are done (this is my first quilt, I don't know the proper terms) my question is: Should I wash and dry them now, before putting in the batting? Or wait and do it after I've quilted it all together? I am concerned that if I wait and wash it all together, the whole sandwich might shrink at the same time and I'll end up without the quilted look. I plan to buy cotton batting that shrinks 5%.

Thank you!
#2 of 4 Old 05-06-2009, 09:08 AM

you could just finish it & put a little tag on it so you remember to wash on cold & line dry.

Kathlin fly-by-nursing2.gif mama to Kezia (3.5) hearts.gif & Cowan (1) diaper.gif

#3 of 4 Old 05-06-2009, 05:58 PM

No, don't wash it.

If you want it to look old and puckered use 100% cotton batting like you're planning.

I rarely pre-wash my quilt fabric before the quilt is done.

Here's one of mine with 100% cotton everything, no pre-wash:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...winddetail.jpg
#4 of 4 Old 05-09-2009, 02:49 PM

It is a little less risky to the quilt's unfinished seams at this point to just go ahead and finsh the quilt without washing. I mean, the inside seams are raw edges. So if you wash it now, you could get a lot of fraying and mess, and end up essentially ruining your quilt top. I guess if it were me, I'd finish it off without washing, and just resign myself to a bit of puckering later. As Porcelain said, sometimes the antique look can be nice. I personally don't like it for my own quilts, but that's just me. In this case you are safest just finishing the thing.

Since it has not been pre-washed, when you DO wash it, get a product called Retayne or other similar things. They are designed to stop the colors from running so much, and can be found at quilt shops and online. Or maybe the colors running would not be a big deal? Wash it on cold in any case. Watch out for reds and blues, they are the worst for running.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page