Help with making newborn fitteds - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-15-2009, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi to all,

SORRY in advance for the long post!!

I am making up some newborn fitted diapers and need some advice for a tried and true recipe.
I have my pattern and know for myself I LOVE a trim diaper. this will be a daytime diaper. I plan on making a lay in soaker in case i need it for long car rides or naps but I am not looking for it to hold 6-8 hours of pee
I like prefolds and fitteds the best and want to make something that will be both absorbant and trim and affordable. Looking mostly for cotton as opposed to bamboo or hemp.

I already have a cotton interlock outer and was thinking microfleece inner ( I know it's not cotton) but I love how it wicks. What should I use for my body and soaker. Any suggestions.. I would be most grateful.

Could I use diaper twill or birdseye???? What's the difference?
Would that not be absorbant enough??
Please share your secrets with me:apple: ?

Thankyou
#2 of 4 Old 05-15-2009, 11:00 PM

I can't help you too much. I basically have the same questions. I know I am going to use flannel because I have bolts of it. MIL owned her own quilting store years ago and held onto her baby flannel. I was thinking about using a micro fleece inner as well because so far all my babies have been super sensitive to being wet.

What pattern are you using?

One Mom, Three Kids. Life is Great.

#3 of 4 Old 05-18-2009, 07:09 PM

Any cotton fabric will work, really. The only thing I don't care for with using something like t-shirts or flannel is that you need a lot of layers and for us, they took a long time to dry. You have to find a balance between enough absorbancy and not too much drying time! Having a lay-in soaker will help. But I like hemp for that reason - great absorbancy with less bulk.

Birdseye will also work, but again, you need a lot of layers!

Good luck!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#4 of 4 Old 05-24-2009, 07:24 PM

Honestly, because newborns pee often and in small quantities, I don't think you need much in terms of a soaker to keep them absorbant. Most of mine have about 6 layers of flannel, and worked just fine -- nice and trim too. I think recycled fabrics are fabulous, old tee-shirts, flannel sheets, receiving blankets -- affordable and then you can focus on making more of those teeny diapers, since I always found the more diapers the better in the early months!

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page