DESPERATELY URGENT! Find me a shawl/stole/wrap type pattern fast, please! Fast google, fast knit! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-18-2009, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a wedding to go to on Saturday, and I left finding an outfit to the last minute. Well, I found the most gorgeous dreamy dress today which is very, very me, but it needs a something over the top. I have a clapotis, which is green/blue/purple, and the dress is a dull bronze colour so I can see it not working. I have a 6oz skein of Elliebelly laceweight in colours that would work, 250g of alpaca DK in a colour that would work and access to a yarn store that does more or less the full Rowan line, including a silk aran. What I don't have is a) time to knit, and b) a pattern.

Any ideas? I'm up for crochet, as long as it's an easy pattern, as well as knitting, but I could do with fast inspiration because ideally I want to be casting on in 11 hours time. In an ideal world I think I'm looking for a triangular shawl, but I can be flexible. I think plan B is the swallowtail in the elliebelly, but I'm up for persuasion.

Please, please, help fast.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 01:32 AM

How about the most simple triangle shawl possible? CO 3 sts. Work increases every other row as just a YO after the first and before the last st. I've also seen this with a YO increase before and after the center st, but I don't find that as mindlessly easy. Usually, it's worked in garter st, but you could certainly work it in stockinette as well.

For crochet, try this one: http://pumamouse.com/crochetshawl.html

This is a very pretty, lacy shell stitch shawl.

The advantage of both of these shawls is that they are worked top-down, and so they're done once you're out of yarn; and of course you can use whatever yarn and hook/needle combo you want to. (I know the Sleuthing Shawl says to use WW and an H, but it's not necessary.) Also, both are simple enough that you don't really need to carry a pattern around with you as you work.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

Old 05-19-2009, 01:37 AM

I think this one is pretty and I think it would knit up quickly. Not a triangle though.

http://www.canadianliving.com/crafts...rf_or_wrap.php

Mama to a goofy : girl and babycakes :
Old 05-19-2009, 01:45 AM

Woodland Shawl by Nikol Lohr (what I'm working on now...I love it!)
Ishbel by Ysolda Teague
Simple Yet Effective Shawl by Laura Chau
Feather & Fan Comfort Shawl by Sarah Bradberry

(all are on Ravelry)

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

Old 05-19-2009, 01:58 AM

This is super-fast:

http://www.glampyreknits.com/id125.html

I used knitpicks suri dream. You could do it in a fluffy mohair or alpaca. I could have easily knit this is a day. Just 300 yards of bulky yarn, too.

Heather, Mama to DS(10) DD(7.5),DD(6)
Old 05-19-2009, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagesgirl View Post
How about the most simple triangle shawl possible? CO 3 sts. Work increases every other row as just a YO after the first and before the last st. I've also seen this with a YO increase before and after the center st, but I don't find that as mindlessly easy. Usually, it's worked in garter st, but you could certainly work it in stockinette as well.
I did this in a lace weight alpaca on size 13s. It turned out stunning (IMO). Although IIRC I did K2, YO, K to end. I did a final eyelet row across the top (YO, K2tog), although I'm not sure that was necessary at all. It was one of my very first knitting projects, so it was a bit slow for me, but if I were to do it now it would have been MUCH faster.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 05-19-2009, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I'm at knit-2 (school runs and stuff) and right now the strong contenders look like Luna Moth, Ishbel and the one FRF linked to. I think it's probably going to be Ishbel just because I loved knitting one of Ysolda's other patterns recently. Thankyou!

Please send sleepy children vibes this way. I could do with good long naps today...

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:39 PM

there's one at lion brand that is super easy and very pretty, but I can't find thedamned thing now!!! I did it with homespun as a throw for my grandma.

ETA: Duh - I haditlinked in my rav, here ya go: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...-throw-70386ad

It would be lovely with a thinner yarnas a shawl! And it's insanely fast, I got the blanket done (queen sized!) in about 12 hours total, shawl would be much quicker since it's smaller.

User Tag List