art/craft ideas for an 18 mo old. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-20-2009, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there!

I have an 18 mo old and I am wanting to do some arts and crafts with her but am unsure what would be age appropriate. any ideas?

Thanks so much!
#2 of 6 Old 06-05-2009, 11:23 PM

It really depends on if she is big on putting things in her mouth or not. With close supervision she should be able to use crayons, markers, and fingerpaints. Also homemade play dough is great. Let me know if you want the recipe. You can let her paint with food, like yogurt, tomato sauce, mustard, beet juice, blueberry juice, any juice really, etc. on paper or a tray. Given a palette or little containers I'm sure she'd have a blast mixing different colors together. You could show her how to rip paper and help her glue it like a collage or use beans, seeds, or pasta to glue like a collage. Watered down paint would be good for brushes or sponges, you can show her how to flick or splatter it, messy but fun. With salt dough you can cut out shapes with cookie cutters and bake them for her to paint on.

blogging.jpg

#3 of 6 Old 06-17-2009, 07:22 AM

Our favorite thing is bathtub painting. I put my 18 month old and 3 year old in the bathtub with washable paints and let them go.

http://connorcam.blogspot.com/2009/0...-painting.html
#4 of 6 Old 06-22-2009, 06:48 PM

It's not really a craft, but my almost-two year old's favorite thing is when I make her a big bowl of soap suds, sit her on a big old blanket and give her cups, bowls, spoons and whisks & let her "cook", lol.
#5 of 6 Old 07-03-2009, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
When mine were that age I gave them a few blobs of paint on a baking sheet. They would smear it around for quite a while, either with a brush or more usually their fingers. They usually ended up ripping the paper when it got soggy so this worked out really well.

Peeling and sticking sticker was (and still is) a favorite too.

Threading cherios or some similar cereal is good too, and it doesn't matter if they eat the "beads"

I bought a bag of small craft pom poms which have kept DS busy for quite a while. He likes to scoop them with toy diggers etc, sort them into an egg box and just generally move them form one place to another DD (4) likes to layer them in a clear jar.

On day we may even stick them to paper.
#6 of 6 Old 07-09-2009, 02:50 AM

I use to do jello pudding finger painting with my kids.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page