Repurposing via a thrift store - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2009, 03:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysByMySide View Post
I turn t-shirts into lounge pants for my kids pretty often. There's also a tutorial on the internet somewhere about turning a men's button-down shirt into a child's size dress. I'm in the middle of making a picnic blanket/quilt out of jeans that I got for $1 a pair at the thrift store, and I've got a flat sheet with a cute print on it that's going to become pj pants for me one of these days.

If I can ever make up with my snap press after our recent fight, I'm going to go back to turning t-shirts into onesies again.
Growing up, Mum made me a pair of winter pj's and a long sleved night gown out of old sheets, they were my absoulute favourite things!

I don't sew, but will be getting a machine soon and learing so eagerly jotting down ideas as they come up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 01:52 AM

Really great ideas in here!

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMommy View Post
The simplest repurposing I do from the thrift shop is at the end of summer when my local shop puts the tank tops on sale for 25-29 cents each. I find nice looking ones and sew the bottom shut and have the most durable grocery bags ever!
I love repurposing, but I have a toddler demanding attention so this is all I have time to mention ATM.
Everything posted looks great!
That is such an awesome idea!
Old 01-11-2010, 03:37 PM

wow! so many beautiful hand-made re-purposed things. we call it trashformation in my house

im a knitter more than a sewer these days, but i have made some nice longies from sweaters in the past.. i have no good place to set up my sewing machine these days. im inspired thougH!!

i love the rag rugs too! i have found a good tutorial on them by googling the subject...i have been planning to make a few this winter.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 01-11-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMommy View Post
The simplest repurposing I do from the thrift shop is at the end of summer when my local shop puts the tank tops on sale for 25-29 cents each. I find nice looking ones and sew the bottom shut and have the most durable grocery bags ever!
SUCH a great idea! SO stealing this one!

Single WAHM to 5yo DD, 2yo DS, and forever 7 week old angel DD.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEyeMom View Post
Can you tell me how you made your rag rugs? Are they crocheted or braided? Can you approximate how much fabric you'd need for a certain size. I love the red!
Surely! (And so sorry about the big gap in time responding back to this...)

All of the rugs I make are crocheted!

Flat sheets and huge pillow cases are the best to use. With the flat sheets: I fold them in half lengthwise and then cut into 1/2 inch long strips. Knot the ends together, then roll into a ball to crochet. When I'm working with plain and patterned sheets, I generally knot-as-I-go to gauge where I end and begin my rounds with each. This rug I made is an example of what I'm explaining. Having not kept track of sheets vs. rug size - I'm going to guesstimate that it takes approximately 3-4 twin size flat sheets for a 4' diameter round rug. Don't quote me on that but I'm pretty sure that's been the norm. I also naturally crochet with a tight tension if that matters too.

Smaller projects are fun and easier to prepare for crocheting when using pillow cases. Lay flat and cut your strips side to side giving you "loops". Then you just hook them together - cutting out the whole process of having to tie knots. Keep in mind the fabric will be doubled now though... so you may want to narrow the strip down to smaller than 1/2" wide.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
i love the rag rugs too! i have found a good tutorial on them by googling the subject...i have been planning to make a few this winter.
Yeah, there's a bunch of great info on the net. That's how I began my venture making rugs, and sort of tweaked it along the way to make it work better for me. They're a blast to make. I find I make them a lot come springtime when I can sit outside in the sun - it's a great portable project once all the fabric is cut into strips.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:10 PM

I LOVE this blog post from today about repurposing a sweater into a cozy pillow!

http://makeitandloveit.blogspot.com/...-purposed.html

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:36 AM
Banned

Oooh this is all JUST what I've been daydreaming about... just waiting a bit for DD to outgrow her clothes (she has too many!). The next round, I'm determined to make a bunch of it all. And with her help!
Old 01-24-2010, 04:55 PM

I just made a doll dress and a tablecloth & napkins set out of an old bed sheet I bought at a thrift store

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

User Tag List