i found some Beautiful Bamboo Lycra fabric..now i want to make yoga pants! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2009, 03:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i was shopping for fabric and some discovered this amazing bamboo lycra fabric. its SO soft and just my favorite green ever.. needless to say at $7.99 a meter, i bought 3 .. any suggestions for patterns, sewing method ect? im a very new, but aspiring to be seamstress.. is sewing stretchy material trickier? im thinking kind of long waistband, midcalf length but very wide leg style..

any help much appreciated

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2009, 11:21 AM

I find it a bit trickier to sew on stretchy material. I'd make sure to sew on some scrap first and adjust the tension as necessary before you sew on the actual pants. For something like yoga pants where a flattering fit is really important I'd also be tempted to cut around pants I already own, rather than using a pattern. I'd also be tempted to try it first on a less dear fabric to make sure it fits. Good luck!

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 PM

I second HappiLeigh's suggestions. Also, you might want to look up some tutorials on sewing with knits. Technically, they should be sewn with different kinds of stitches (so the seams remain flexible like the fabric). You will also save yourself a lot of headaches if you make sure you have a food ball-point needle on your machine (it will specify "knits" on the package). have fun!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 06-19-2009, 01:05 AM

There is a great yoga pattern by Kwik Sew. I forget the number but if you go to their site you can find it.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:11 AM

Hi Mama Fern,

I'm looking for some bamboo spandex fabric.  Would you mind telling me where you found yours?

Please email me at [email protected]

Thank you so much,

Dean

User Tag List