Crochet messenger bag - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 06-12-2009, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
I just picked up huge bags of yarn from a thrift store for $1.50!!! So I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there anyway I can wash this before I use it? It smells...weird and I would rather work with it clean.

2. Does anyone know of a Crochet messenger bag pattern. I have tried searching but haven't been able to find much. Any help directing me would be nice.

Thanks!!!
#2 of 9 Old 06-12-2009, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

can anyone help me???
#3 of 9 Old 06-14-2009, 07:02 PM

Hi Futurmama!

Well, you probably can't wash it but you can air it out really well, which is what I usually do with second-hand yarn because of my allergies. How can I describe how I do it . . . basically I take a ball of yarn and turn it back into an unrolled hank or skein and basically just let it hang on the line for a day. That usually takes care of any and all funkiness.

As for messenger bags . . . are you on Ravelry?? You could search there.

Or check this one out. Or this. Those are free . . . many more options on Ravelry if you don't mind paying a few bucks.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#4 of 9 Old 06-14-2009, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much Rootzdawta!! I was thinking of PMing you today too.

I think letting it air would be good too, it is just a little musty and has a bunch of specks in it. I think I know how to make a skein though.

I sent for an invitation to ravelry a couple days ago but they haven't emailed me yet. Do you know how much it is? I hear a lot about it on different boards I am on. Thanks for those messenger bags, the brown one is really nice!! I am making it for the director of the clinic we are going to in Tanzania for nursing school as a gift. Thanks again.
#5 of 9 Old 06-14-2009, 08:17 PM

Oh Ravelry is free, free, free! Hopefully you'll get the invitation link soon. Make sure to check your junk e-mail box. I meant some of the patterns you'll find on there are not free . . . you have to pay a few bucks for the pattern.

I like the brown one too . . . what a great gift for such a good purpose.

Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#6 of 9 Old 06-15-2009, 05:04 PM

http://www.allcrafts.net/crochet/crochetpurses.htm

Mama Gina

flower.gif hippie.gif knit.gifhomeschool.gif  h20homebirth.gif  namaste.gif
Noah 14bikenew.gif, Emma 12 flowerkitty.gif, and Andrew 8 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

#7 of 9 Old 06-15-2009, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Rootzdawta.

granolagina the link isn't working for me?
#8 of 9 Old 06-15-2009, 07:25 PM

you can definitely wash it - what's the fiber content? I'd hank it up (if you don't have a swift, you can use a willing volunteer's arms, or the legs of a dining room chair (flip the chair over so the legs are sticking up in the air, then wind the yarn around the legs) Then tie it inseveral places so it won't unwind/tangle, then pop it in the sink or washing machine with warm (not HOT!) water and some baby soap (if it's wool) or dawn dish soap (if it's acrylic) let it soak overnight, then spin out, refill the tub with water, then spin out again. Clean yarn!
#9 of 9 Old 06-15-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittin' in the Shade View Post
you can definitely wash it - what's the fiber content? I'd hank it up (if you don't have a swift, you can use a willing volunteer's arms, or the legs of a dining room chair (flip the chair over so the legs are sticking up in the air, then wind the yarn around the legs) Then tie it inseveral places so it won't unwind/tangle, then pop it in the sink or washing machine with warm (not HOT!) water and some baby soap (if it's wool) or dawn dish soap (if it's acrylic) let it soak overnight, then spin out, refill the tub with water, then spin out again. Clean yarn!
Oh, thanks!! Never knew you could.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page