Do you HAVE to line curtains? Please help. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-18-2009, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We've redecorated my dd's bedroom, and I purchased extra sheets to make curtain panels which I have washed and starched. We are hoping that the decor will last her into her teenage years (and beyond hopefully!) I also plan to use a double curtain rod so that I can hang sheers as well, and her windows already have honeycomb type interior mounted blinds.

I know that lined curtains look nice, but time for this project is a concern and the thought of lining the curtains is making me procrastinate. So, please tell me honestly if I'm deluding myself thinking that I can get away with unlined curtains and I should just buck up and do it, or if it doesn't really matter.

TIA!

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2009, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I had this problem with my bedroom curtains, I was sick of sewing and didn't want to buy lining fabric, so I pinned them to the rod and left them for a year. Then I gave up and just sewed them, no lining. If they weren't such a dark color (they're red) they'd let too much light through I think. And the sun will eventually fade them. But they work fine for us now.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:00 PM

The only reason I have ever lined curtains was when we decided to make the kids' room as dark as possible so that (please lord, please) they would sleep past 6am in the summer. I lined those with navy cloth and it is working so far.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:55 AM

I have never lined curtains, and I have made tons of them (for various apartments/houses). It depends on how thick your fabric is, and if you want them to be insulated. You can also just use a shade underneath if the curtains let too much light in.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Whew! Thanks everyone. I think between the honeycomb shades, the sheers and the unlined curtains, it will be enough light control. My dd isn't very sensitive to light, and so far this summer she's just been sleeping with just the honeycomb shades - so no need to make her room pitch dark.

Yay! I think I'll get started tomorrow!

Laura - Mom to ds (10) and dd (7) "Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life." Brian Andreas.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:51 AM

I've made tons of curtains for my home and I've never lined them, but they've always been hung inconjuction with other window treatments like shades or miniblinds. I think it depends on how much light you want to keep out.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

Old 06-22-2009, 04:48 AM

I've never lined curtains either. But, I've also always used fairly heavy fabrics so that you couldn't see through them - even without lining. That's actually why I chose those fabrics - so I wouldn't have to bother with lining.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
Old 06-24-2009, 05:45 PM

Oh see- I made my kitchen curtains and didn't line them and now 2 years later they are so faded that I hate them- just don't have any extra money right now to make new ones. I swear I will never make unlined curtains again. I suppose it does depend on what fabric the curtains are of and how much the sun will shine on them.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 07-01-2009, 07:03 PM

When I am overwhelmed by the lined curtains, here's what I do--

First of all, I use flat sheets for liners. I cut them to the measurements of the curtains, minus the part that attaches onto the rod. I hem them, making them slightly shorter than the curtain. I sew them onto the back of the curtain, under where the rod attaches. Done.

So, try to visualize this. The curtain and the liner are only joined at the top, under where the rod goes. I like this, because you can tie up the curtain, but leave the liner down and then it hangs freely, letting some but not all the light in.

It's less sewing (and maybe less fancy), but I have often made curtains like this.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:37 PM

I have separate linings for curtains to hang blackout lining behind them. I don't know if you can buy this stuff in the US but Rufflette is a tape which has drawstrings in it to pull up gathers and little pockets like in a pencil roll to loop curly tape hooks through.

You sew one lot of Rufflette onto the curtain and one lot to the lining then hook the lining to the curtain with the tape hooks.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:13 PM

Good question! I seriously need to get crackin on making curtains for my kids' rooms, but I've been procrastinating, too. Well part that and part just too busy, but it seems so daunting to make the curtain and the lining, especially when you're super short on time!

Hayden 7/06 & Ava 3/08
Missing our Angel Baby 10/17
Old 07-09-2009, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post
The only reason I have ever lined curtains was when we decided to make the kids' room as dark as possible so that (please lord, please) they would sleep past 6am in the summer. I lined those with navy cloth and it is working so far.
: Oh my goodness, this made me laugh. When we all slept in the same room with windows facing straight east, we had blackout curtains in the color dark navy blue. It was our only hope. They worked, but they were not pretty.

Now, on to OP's question. I just made the easiest lined curtains ever, and the only thing that is left is to hem them. I bought lining from Joanns (using my coupon, of course). Then I put the right sides of the lining and the curtain together and serged the entire thing on three sides. Then I made the curtains as though I was making an unlined curtain. Does that make sense? I didn't do it the "right way" I did it the easy, imperfect way.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasuremapper View Post
Now, on to OP's question. I just made the easiest lined curtains ever, and the only thing that is left is to hem them. I bought lining from Joanns (using my coupon, of course). Then I put the right sides of the lining and the curtain together and serged the entire thing on three sides. Then I made the curtains as though I was making an unlined curtain. Does that make sense? I didn't do it the "right way" I did it the easy, imperfect way.
Wow. That's a pretty nifty idea. As it is, I *still* haven't done the curtains because I haven't gotten the rod yet, but plan on it this weekend......so I just might try this....or maybe not

Old 07-11-2009, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hmmm.. if I can find a camera, I will post links to pix. And I beg all of you to do the same. I would love to see your creations.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

We got the rod today........dh is going to mount it tomorrow.......time to get serious.....:

User Tag List