Crocheting in the Round and Counting Stitches - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-21-2009, 03:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's really cheesing me off : . I just don't get what I'm doing wrong . I've got a pattern here, says:

Row 1: Ch 3, join with a sl st to form a circle, 6 sc into circle, join with a sl st
to first sc (6sc)

After I sc 6 into the circle and join with a sl st I end up with 7 stitches , WTH? I don't get it. After I join with the sl st am I supposed to not count the 1st stitch? The pattern says 'All rounds are joined with a sl st to the last st/top of chain form the beginning of that round.'

I've started this project over maybe 6 times now and I just can't figure this out. Shyte...

What am I doing wrong?

Ugh, I'm going to bed...

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

candle.gif Waiting on my SunshineBaby om.gif

#2 of 13 Old 06-21-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

OK, looking at things with fresh eyes I think I figured out what I was doing. For sc skip that first st, hdc skip first 2 sts and so on. Now, on to a new problem. Trying to figure out how I'm supposed to get 18 sts out of 12?

Row 3: Ch 2, (2 dc in next sc, 1 dc)x5, 2 dc in last sc, join with sl st to 2nd ch (18 dc)

Supposed to have 12 sts after row 2 is done (which I do), now, how to proceed...

So yeah, I don't understand what they're asking me to do here: (2 dc in next sc, 1 dc)x5. Are the 2 dc and the 1 dc all supposed to be worked into the sc?

Just picking crochet back up after learning the basics a while ago so bear with me .

"A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing." ~ Emo Philips tea6.gif

Me, DH, DS1, DS2, November 2012 brokenheart.gif, July 2013 brokenheart.gif, March 2014 brokenheart.gif

#3 of 13 Old 06-21-2009, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
LoL . . . glad you got it! I saw you posted first at 2 in the AM . . . no wonder. I have made the hugest mistakes trying to work late at night.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#4 of 13 Old 06-21-2009, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootzdawta View Post
LoL . . . glad you got it! I saw you posted first at 2 in the AM . . . no wonder. I have made the hugest mistakes trying to work late at night.
Yeah, I did a when I realized what I did and resigned not to try working on a new piece that late at night anymore . I'm just not sleeping well and am trying to take my mind off of the stupid TWW .

I'm hoping I can figure out WTH the rest of this pattern is talking about . I really like this baby hat! Something I'm making for a friend who's due in September .

#5 of 13 Old 06-21-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatsbaby View Post
OK, looking at things with fresh eyes I think I figured out what I was doing. For sc skip that first st, hdc skip first 2 sts and so on. Now, on to a new problem. Trying to figure out how I'm supposed to get 18 sts out of 12?

Row 3: Ch 2, (2 dc in next sc, 1 dc)x5, 2 dc in last sc, join with sl st to 2nd ch (18 dc)

Supposed to have 12 sts after row 2 is done (which I do), now, how to proceed...

So yeah, I don't understand what they're asking me to do here: (2 dc in next sc, 1 dc)x5. Are the 2 dc and the 1 dc all supposed to be worked into the sc?

Just picking crochet back up after learning the basics a while ago so bear with me .
You are to stitch 2 dc in one stitch, 1 dc in the next stitch. And do that 5 times. Counting the ch 2 as the first stitch and the 2 dc in the last stitch with the extra 6 stitch, you now have 18 stitches instead of 12 stitches. You have just done an increase row.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#6 of 13 Old 06-21-2009, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post
You are to stitch 2 dc in one stitch, 1 dc in the next stitch. And do that 5 times. Counting the ch 2 as the first stitch and the 2 dc in the last stitch with the extra 6 stitch, you now have 18 stitches instead of 12 stitches. You have just done an increase row.
Thanks so much! I think I ended up with 18 sts but I'm not sure how *sigh*. Time for a ripback .

So when it says '2nd ch' is it talking about when you get to the end of the row join with a sl st to the 2nd st from the previous row?

I've never had a problem with knitting patterns. I don't know why crochet gives me so much trouble : . It will seem to make sense one minute then the next I'm lost again.

#7 of 13 Old 06-21-2009, 08:30 PM

Some patterns will say "ch 2 and turn". Usually when working back and forth in rows, like in an afgan. Although I have patterns that end the last row with "turn" and start the next row with "ch #" (whatever the number is for that pattern). Others will start the next row by saying "ch 2....." like your pattern. That usually occurs when you are crocheting in the round. You end the last row with a slip stitch in the first stitch. The next row starts with ch 2 (if doing dc). The number you chain will depend on what stitch you are crocheting. If you are doing sc, then it will be ch 1; a tr will get a ch 3. While I know the basic knitting stitches and can read a pattern, I'm much better at crocheting. Counting is a must in crochet and I do it subconsciously now after doing it for many years.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#8 of 13 Old 06-22-2009, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post
Some patterns will say "ch 2 and turn". Usually when working back and forth in rows, like in an afgan. Although I have patterns that end the last row with "turn" and start the next row with "ch #" (whatever the number is for that pattern). Others will start the next row by saying "ch 2....." like your pattern. That usually occurs when you are crocheting in the round. You end the last row with a slip stitch in the first stitch. The next row starts with ch 2 (if doing dc). The number you chain will depend on what stitch you are crocheting. If you are doing sc, then it will be ch 1; a tr will get a ch 3. While I know the basic knitting stitches and can read a pattern, I'm much better at crocheting. Counting is a must in crochet and I do it subconsciously now after doing it for many years.
Ahh, OK, I think I see what you're saying. It's funny how hearing things in a different way can really open up your tunnel vision. Thanks! I'll give it another try here.

Definitely posting pics after all this .

#9 of 13 Old 06-25-2009, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Alright, the hat's coming along beautifully, I understood what I was doing, all was sunshine and buttercups . Then came the earflaps . The freaking ear flaps that have me : .

Check it out:

Continuing on from last sl st...

Row 1-2: Ch 2, 11 dc, turn (11 dc)

Row 3: Ch 2, 2 dc tog, 7 dc, 2 dc tog, turn (9 dc)

Row 4: Ch 2, 3 dc tog, 3 dc, 3 dc tog (5 dc)

Row 5: Ch 2, 2 dc tog, 1 dc, 2 dc tog (3 dc)

Finish off

I've tried counting the ch2 and not counting the ch2 as my 1st dc. I've tried a few different things but I've ripped back so many times I can't remember what I've already tried. In any case, I keep getting 10 sts when I complete Row 3 and I can't figure out how. I see why I should have 9, it's just not coming out that way.

Then if I just try some off the wall something to get the 9, the problem persists to the next row of course . Any insight as to what I might be muckin' up here?

#10 of 13 Old 06-26-2009, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Alright, the hat's coming along beautifully, I understood what I was doing, all was sunshine and buttercups . Then came the earflaps . The freaking ear flaps that have me : .

Check it out:

Continuing on from last sl st...

Row 1-2: Ch 2, 11 dc, turn (11 dc)

Row 3: Ch 2, 2 dc tog, 7 dc, 2 dc tog, turn (9 dc)

Row 4: Ch 2, 3 dc tog, 3 dc, 3 dc tog (5 dc)

Row 5: Ch 2, 2 dc tog, 1 dc, 2 dc tog (3 dc)

Finish off

I've tried counting the ch2 and not counting the ch2 as my 1st dc. I've tried a few different things but I've ripped back so many times I can't remember what I've already tried. In any case, I keep getting 10 sts when I complete Row 3 and I can't figure out how. I see why I should have 9, it's just not coming out that way.

Then if I just try some off the wall something to get the 9, the problem persists to the next row of course . Any insight as to what I might be muckin' up here?
You're on the right tract with not counting the ch 2 as a stitch. Only count the dc. You should have a ch 2 and 11 dc the first row; ch 2 and 9 dc the 2nd row; and so on. After the ch 2, you are to do a decrease by crocheting 2 dc together to make one. And then do the same thing to the last 2 dc, ignoring the ch2 of the previous row each time. Continue decreasing 2 dc each row so by the time you are finished with row 5, you have ch 2 and 3 dc left. Then finish off.

And repeat for the other side.

#11 of 13 Old 06-26-2009, 01:52 PM

ok i want to see this hat when you are finished!
#12 of 13 Old 06-26-2009, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasJi7 View Post
ok i want to see this hat when you are finished!
Almost done!

Thanks again sewchris! . Before I saw your post (just getting back here) I got fed up and just went ahead and did it exactly the way you described to see how it would turn out and it worked .

It's funny 'cause the pattern's really not that hard . It gets confusing sometimes though. Like with the sometimes count the chs and sometimes not. What's up with that? Is there some rule I'm missing somewhere or is that just something you pick up the more you crochet, when to tell the difference?

#13 of 13 Old 06-26-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Almost done!

Thanks again sewchris! . Before I saw your post (just getting back here) I got fed up and just went ahead and did it exactly the way you described to see how it would turn out and it worked .

It's funny 'cause the pattern's really not that hard . It gets confusing sometimes though. Like with the sometimes count the chs and sometimes not. What's up with that? Is there some rule I'm missing somewhere or is that just something you pick up the more you crochet, when to tell the difference?
You're welcome. I added up the # of dc in the row and since the ch 2 made one more, I didn't count it. Probably comes with practice. I've been crocheting, mostly with thread, for 35 years. I don't know why the pattern changed counting the ch 2 with the ear flaps. It could be an editing problem that didn't get caught. In other words, the original crocheter forgot about it in the middle of writing down the directions. And no one else caught it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page