Probably a silly question... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 06-29-2009, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've gone from expecting to have to stockpile disposable diapers, to expecting to have to stockpile prefolds and covers, to wanting to try EC but have flats on hand in case I need a break. So then I looked around for some unbleached flats. And today I thought, why do I need to buy them? Can't I just MAKE them? It requires what, a pair of scissors and some good fabric?

Anyway, I figured I'd have to edge them or something too but I guess I just wanted to know what kind of fabric is best? Is it more cost effective to buy some nice unbleached cotton somewhere and cut them up myself? What's a good measurement to cut? How much should I get?

I'm new to this stuff, in case you couldn't tell. DS1 is due in September so I guess I should maybe... get my butt in gear...

TIA!
#2 of 4 Old 06-29-2009, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Birdseye cotton. 27"x27" is a common size. They shrink a lot in the first wash so they get down to size. I double or triple them when I actually diaper with them. If you buy them premade they'll be about $1.50 each. If you find 54" wide birdseye for under $3.75/yard you can save something making your own, but that's an unlikely deal. Now, if you want fitted diapers or you want covers, that's where DIY will save some cash.
#3 of 4 Old 06-29-2009, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found a website that will sell me 42" width at $3.15/yd if I buy at least 10 yards. The discounts go up as the quantity bought does. Is that a good deal?
http://www.verybaby.com/unbleached-birdseye42.html

Honestly I'm having a hard time just finding unbleached flats in stock anywhere. It seems like everyone ran out at the same time and are expecting to restock in the fall. Since Baby will be here in the beginning of September, I'd like to have something on hand before then...

Oh yeah! I guess I'll need covers! Or something. Haha can you tell how clueless I am?
#4 of 4 Old 06-29-2009, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Nah, at $3.15 for each 42" wide yard you're paying $1.58 per flat diaper, more than for premade, and you'll need to sew 2 widths together to use 42" wide fabric up. But if unbleached is very important to you and they're unavailable, it's better than nothing. Prefolds aren't much more expensive though, maybe you could just go with unbleached diaper service quality prefolds? If you can sew I'd say totally go for making your own covers, the great ones of those really are expensive.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page