Making cloth wipes - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-30-2009, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm about to start making some flannel wipes for my babe-on-the-way. I was wondering:
  • What size do you make your wipes?
  • Do you turn and topstitch or zig-zag? I don't have access to a serger.
  • Do you recommend making them with a single or double layer of flannel?
  • Do you have any special tips?

Thanks, mamas! :

SAHM to DD (6/07) and DS (10/09); happily married to DH since 2/04 .
#2 of 15 Old 06-30-2009, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well, I haven't tried mine out yet as I'm still pregnant, but I can tell you what I did. I cut 8"x8" squares of flannel and paired them up to make double sided wipes. I serged around mine, but if I didn't have access to the serger, I probably would have turned and topstitched. The flannel wipes they sell at GMD that are 7-8" square said that they should fit folded in a wipes warmer, and it seems to be a pretty standard size for cloth wipes in general, so that's why I decided to start with 8" squares.

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#3 of 15 Old 06-30-2009, 10:00 PM

I used fleece instead of flannel (I had some of each with #1 and found the fleece to be my fave, but everyones different!) and all I did was cut rectangles. I cut mine 6in X 7in, maybe a little smaller than commercial ones, but I was using scrap fleece as it was and wanted to eke out as many as I could.

ETA: wanted to be clear, that literally all I did was cut rectangles. Since its fleece, no edging neccesary.

Kelly, mama to DD energy.gif : (3-30-06) and DS bouncy.gif 7/28/09) ....and gummi, due 3-30-13! (large sch....praying.gif)

#4 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post
Well, I haven't tried mine out yet as I'm still pregnant, but I can tell you what I did. I cut 8"x8" squares of flannel and paired them up to make double sided wipes. I serged around mine, but if I didn't have access to the serger, I probably would have turned and topstitched. The flannel wipes they sell at GMD that are 7-8" square said that they should fit folded in a wipes warmer, and it seems to be a pretty standard size for cloth wipes in general, so that's why I decided to start with 8" squares.
I so wish I had access to a serger right now! I'm definitely considering turning and topstitching... especially because I'm kind of particular about how my sewn items look. I can't stand to have anything look shabby so fraying edges from a zig-zag would likely bother me. Then again, if someone has done the zig-zag stitching and it hasn't frayed... then please tell me!

As for size, I'm definitely thinking 8" square. Thanks for sharing your tips!

#5 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellykins View Post
I used fleece instead of flannel (I had some of each with #1 and found the fleece to be my fave, but everyones different!) and all I did was cut rectangles. I cut mine 6in X 7in, maybe a little smaller than commercial ones, but I was using scrap fleece as it was and wanted to eke out as many as I could.

ETA: wanted to be clear, that literally all I did was cut rectangles. Since its fleece, no edging neccesary.
The main reason I'm using flannel is that I have a ton of it laying around... some in small pieces that are just begging to be used for something. But if I can get my hands on some cheap fleece, maybe I'll give your method a shot! Thanks!

#6 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 02:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spmamma View Post
I so wish I had access to a serger right now! I'm definitely considering turning and topstitching... especially because I'm kind of particular about how my sewn items look. I can't stand to have anything look shabby so fraying edges from a zig-zag would likely bother me. Then again, if someone has done the zig-zag stitching and it hasn't frayed... then please tell me!

As for size, I'm definitely thinking 8" square. Thanks for sharing your tips!
I'm lucky that I can use the serger at work, it's definitely one of my favorite perks. I haven't had good luck with zig zagging, maybe I just don't know how to do it right, but the fabric always folds up when I try to stitch on the edge, and it ends up looking sloppy with little threads anyway. Not so much that the fabric would be in danger of fraying too much, but just sloppy.

Mommy to DS1 bouncy.gifJuly '09 and DS2 baby.gif Oct '12

#7 of 15 Old 07-03-2009, 01:07 AM

You don't need to sew the edges of flannel wipes. Mine are cut into 6x8" rectangles, and that is it. For quite a few washes, the edges will fray and you will have stringies all over your diapers. No big deal, just pull it off and throw away. Soon, they will stop fraying and never lose threads again. Takes a few minutes to cut them all, no mindless (and unnecessary) sewing. Mine are all single-layer & work great! My friend did this, too, same results. Has a giant stack of adorable flannel wipes w/ no effort.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#8 of 15 Old 07-03-2009, 11:41 AM

I was thinking of using terry and flannel and serging together. Is there a reason most of you all don't do this?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#9 of 15 Old 07-04-2009, 07:19 PM

I just started to make mine today. I did two layers of flannel and then did an overcasting stitch around the edges. Seems to work ok.

I am a new sewer though, so it isn't the prettiest of work.

Three boys.  jumpers.gif
#10 of 15 Old 07-05-2009, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogretro View Post
You don't need to sew the edges of flannel wipes. Mine are cut into 6x8" rectangles, and that is it. For quite a few washes, the edges will fray and you will have stringies all over your diapers. No big deal, just pull it off and throw away. Soon, they will stop fraying and never lose threads again. Takes a few minutes to cut them all, no mindless (and unnecessary) sewing. Mine are all single-layer & work great! My friend did this, too, same results. Has a giant stack of adorable flannel wipes w/ no effort.
This sounds appealing. Maybe I'll make a test wipe or two and toss them in with the regular laundry a bunch of times to see how long it takes for the strings to go away (I'm kind of a nerd like that).

#11 of 15 Old 07-05-2009, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
I was thinking of using terry and flannel and serging together. Is there a reason most of you all don't do this?
That sounds like a great idea! The main reason I'm sticking with flannel is that I have a ton of it in my fabric stash. I'd probably mix some terry in too if I had it.

#12 of 15 Old 07-07-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogretro View Post
I did this too, but I used pinking shears. My wipes are still holding up, and it didn't cost a thing! I just used some extra receiving blankets.

Lisa mama to Adrian born 3/09 by unnecessarean
#2 is coming in May 2011! planning for a home vbac.gif
#13 of 15 Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 AM

quick question from a total sewing and fabric newbie... if you use pinking shears, does that keep the edges from fraying without having to sew them?
#14 of 15 Old 07-07-2009, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthymato2 View Post
quick question from a total sewing and fabric newbie... if you use pinking shears, does that keep the edges from fraying without having to sew them?
It should. But I've definitely had experience with things fraying despite being pinked (maybe I've done something wrong, though). I'd still consider running an overlock stitch along the edges to prevent any extra fraying.

#15 of 15 Old 07-09-2009, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I decided to make 8x8 and 4x8 wipes. Each wipe is made up of two layers of flannel stitched together with an overlock stitch (I ran the stitch around the wipe twice for extra strength).

You can take a peak at my wipes project on my blog if you'd like. Thanks so much everyone who chimed in with advice - you really helped!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page