Christmas!or any other December(ish)time gift giving celebration! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 650 Old 11-07-2009, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subbing
#302 of 650 Old 11-07-2009, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zech13_9_goforgold View Post
I'm going to make some washcloths and bread blankets our of cotton yarn then dye them with kool aid. I'm really excited about that. Gotta get back to knitting!
I was under the impression that only animal fibers would dye well with koolaid--like wool or silk? I thought cotton wouldn't take, but maybe I'm wrong.

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
#303 of 650 Old 11-08-2009, 01:05 PM

Koolaid will stain, but you won't get as good quality a dye job as you would using fibre-reactive dyes. It wouldn't be my first choice for anything that's going to work.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#304 of 650 Old 11-08-2009, 06:52 PM

The kool-aid would make a soft muted color, right?

You'd probably use RID dye for brighter colors. I also have some easter egg dye I was thinking about trying.
#305 of 650 Old 11-09-2009, 12:51 PM

Finished F-I-L's first sock..except for one mistake that dh is fixing Now to start the second

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#306 of 650 Old 11-09-2009, 04:14 PM

I wish my husband would fix my knitting mistakes. Love it.

I haven't finished anything yet. Still have a bread blanket, a sock, and an afghan on the needles. Oh, and a mini mitten. I guess I'm crazy.
#307 of 650 Old 11-10-2009, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to hear folks are still moving along.I got a little unexpected Christmas making done last night.Not too much but something is better than nothing,right?My daughter's birthday is this weekend then hopefully I'll be back to it!

#308 of 650 Old 11-10-2009, 02:40 PM

well, the craft room looks like it was hit by a cyclone...i am definitely in full swing and am making all my gifts this year.
I already posted in the toys and dolls forum under christmas gift ideas with a long list of fun stuff im working on for the kiddos. but i wanted to post my other gifts and links as well.
for my dh, i am making:
a hanging organizer pocket for his side of the bed, to hold remotes, glasses, etc: modified, but like this- http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=574
also, a remote control pocket pillow for the den: http://www.kundhi.com/blog/2009/04/1...illow-pattern/
also doing football pillows for the den.
DH loves to cook, especially with his homegrown hot peppers. so i found some chili pepper fabric and will use it to make him an apron and chef hat: http://www.michaelmillerfabrics.com/Blog/Chef_Hat.pdf
http://www.michaelmillerfabrics.com/...ssic_Apron.pdf
i am also making a....piece of art, i guess. He picked up a handful of shells at the beach that had holes in them and i keep finding them. I am going to use a silver bangle and some silver long beads and also some other shell beads and probably glass beads too to make a mobile or whatever you would call it to hang from a hook in our bedroom ceiling.
and i am making matching hats for dh and both our ds, as well as tie dyes.
and Santa will take our cheapo store bought stockings with him and leave these for everyone: http://sew4home.com/projects/fabric-...-elf-stockings

i made a super cute apron for my mom from a dress too small for me. I will also make her a quilted zippered make up bag and probably some jewelry too.

my dad is getting a small quilt. he is a scuba diver, so i am using the dive flag as the (large) center in log cabin style blocks, which will use all different watery looking fabrics. i am calling the design "dive log" and so far it looks beautiful.

i am making quilted zippered make up style bags for dh's mom and all of our sisters. they will also each get something else as well...
pencil holders for the teachers' desks (coffee cans felt covered and embellished)
these candle holders: http://kootoyoo.blogspot.com/2008/11...xt-to-nix.html
i also used some of the glasses i bought for these to make christmas vases- i just covered the glass partially with felt and hot glued candy canes all around, tied with pretty ribbon.
cd pockets:http://mushroomvillagers.wordpress.c...oket-tutorial/
awesome wallet: http://darnkat.wordpress.com/quilted...llet-tutorial/
(i plan to make this to put in MY stocking!)
travel tissue holders: http://vacuumqueen.blogspot.com/2008...ue-holder.html
fabric curlers:http://lifewithmonkey.wordpress.com/...wing-tutorial/
i will also make lavender rice bag heat pillows and buckwheat freezer bags for a lot of folks and a flax filled eye pillow for the freezer for my sister who suffers from migraines. she will also get a tea ball and a big jar of feverfew flowers i grew and dried for her.

a lot of men will be getting hand dyed handkerchiefs.
F-I-L will also get a small canvas with ds' footprints, like this:http://tutusandturtles.blogspot.com/...-wall-art.html
because he is always commenting on baby's big feet!

and one more link. i have made a dozen or so of these easy flowers (with leaves) to glue onto barrettes and clips, etc. i made some with reds to look like poinsettas. i think i will put the poinsettas on pins and give them to all the many great aunts and grandmas, etc to wear on their lapels....maybe i can just include them when mailing christmas cards. http://baremaked.blogspot.com/2008/1...-tutorial.html

Mama to 3 boys 

#309 of 650 Old 11-10-2009, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
well, the craft room looks like it was hit by a cyclone...i am definitely in full swing and am making all my gifts this year.
I already posted in the toys and dolls forum under christmas gift ideas with a long list of fun stuff im working on for the kiddos. but i wanted to post my other gifts and links as well.
Wow, those are some awesome ideas!
#310 of 650 Old 11-11-2009, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

I sewed up some simple gift bags last night.It felt good to do because I know my family will reuse them.Bought some stuffing today so I can finish another pillow.Technically I could be doing that right now but...

ms.shell,
I think were separated at crafty birth.Most everything on your list is something I have already made or is on my I am going to make list.And the only reason you can get into my craft room is because my daughter's birthday party is on Sunday so I had to clean it up.Plus I was seriously considering having Santa switch out my daughter's stocking this year.

I really like your seashell idea!

#311 of 650 Old 11-12-2009, 01:56 AM

Subbing!

So far I am knitting the Steggy Sweater for my 3 year old son. DH is making him some walking blocks (for DS to stand on- like stilts). I'm thinking about also making him some mittens, and maybe sewing a doorframe puppet theater.

I love this R2D2 hat, and am trying to think of who I can knit it for this year. I'll also probably do some simple stocking stuffer things like coffee mug cozies, etc.

Oh, I would really like to make some wrap-n-mats... I need to look into a pattern and see what fabrics I can use.
#312 of 650 Old 11-12-2009, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ell-Bell View Post
Subbing!

So far I am knitting the Steggy Sweater for my 3 year old son. DH is making him some walking blocks (for DS to stand on- like stilts). I'm thinking about also making him some mittens, and maybe sewing a doorframe puppet theater.

I love this R2D2 hat, and am trying to think of who I can knit it for this year. I'll also probably do some simple stocking stuffer things like coffee mug cozies, etc.

Oh, I would really like to make some wrap-n-mats... I need to look into a pattern and see what fabrics I can use.
I saw someone made "wrap-n-mats"from a big circle.She said she traced a pot lid but it was about a 14"circle.She ironed folds into the circle so it would naturally fold closed.

#313 of 650 Old 11-12-2009, 11:24 AM

I lovethe steggy sweater. I've been wanting to knit it for my ds. But I've got way to many things on the needles right now, so i doubt it will get done

I partially sewed up ds's fish, now ready to stuff,and then finish sewing up. So I'm on my way w the fishing game. I knit F-I-L's socks a bit, but I picked up extra shifts this week and haven't been able to keep up with housework let alone crafting...sadly

There's only a month to go

#314 of 650 Old 11-12-2009, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post

There's only a month to go
Ahhhhhhhh!

#315 of 650 Old 11-12-2009, 01:06 PM

No, today is only the 12th- don't cheat me out of those other 12 days.

I turned the heel on my sock and am getting close to getting the main body of the bread blanket done.
#316 of 650 Old 11-12-2009, 06:16 PM

Holy smokes do I have a lot to do in only a month and a half.... Yesterday I cast on for a sweater for DH for his birthday... That is on December 5th..... I have no idea how on earth I will get that done in time..... and in secret..

I almost have DS2s brown bear quilt done. I just have to bind the top and bottom. I also have to finish DDs mermaid doll. Finish hah- it is barely barely started. I think I have bit off more than I can chew. I have enough projects going to last me years and years.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#317 of 650 Old 11-13-2009, 12:57 AM

I am planning on making an apron for my mom based on an old apron that I have that she loves.

Also, I ordered some glass bottles and am going to make a bunch of people homemade vanilla extract. You use extract grade beans and vodka- should be cheap and yet a really useful and nice present.
(I hope!)

I want to make DD one of these, but may not get to it until after Christmas as we make stuff for a fair and all spare time is going to that:
busy book

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#318 of 650 Old 11-13-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
Holy smokes do I have a lot to do in only a month and a half....
yep, me too! The good thing is I can knock out 1 project a day. Its the knitting that takes me awhile. Im not a fast knitter. Im STILL working on DDs (adult size) leg warmers. Im half way done with the first one. I like to mention they are adult size makes me feel better about being so darn slow
#319 of 650 Old 11-13-2009, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Well,I finished another pillow last night and stenciled a shirt.I won't get anything done today in the making department.I have too much other stuff to do like trying to empty my attic.uhg!

#320 of 650 Old 11-13-2009, 03:12 PM

I turned the heel on f-i-l's sock today...so HOPEFULLY I'll have that done by the weekend. Im thinking of spending next week at mygrandmas, so it'll be knitting getting done there, since I can't bring my sewing machine ect. SO the next thing upis my aunts fingerless gloves...blah, BORING pattern...but should be quick

#321 of 650 Old 11-14-2009, 02:23 PM

I finished the sock
We we're very slow at work, kinda the Christmas calm before the storm. And my wonderful boss said "Hey why not pull your knitting out and get a few rows done!" God I love that man LOL

BUT I don't think I'll get done much this weekend since both dc are SICKY...so that means no seeing my grandma next week where I would prob get the rest of my knitting done

Next thing on the needles is my aunts fingerless gloves...Wish me luck I hope to have one done by this time next week

oh and ds is asking that santa brings him popcorn LOL..I think he wants kernals..but I just thought that was adorable...he's right now running around yelling marry kistmas toobad he cant be like most kids and SLEEP when they are sick

#322 of 650 Old 11-14-2009, 06:57 PM

i thought of a few more things for my dh. his love language is gifts, and before this year i have spent the most money on his gifts. i dont have any money for gifts this year, but want him to really feel happy and that he got enough.
i'm going to make a handprint ornament from the baby, a set of potholders (to go with the chef hat and apron), and also i think i will try paper mache again to make him a tray. i found these cool animal mandala printables: http://www.edupics.com/en-coloring-p...alas-c235.html
I will print and color the turtle mandala with watercolor pencils and decoupage that on top of the paper mache tray. i think he might really like that.
also decided santa will also leave us a star for the treetop. i have always wanted to make one, but haven't yet- so have been using a bow in the meantime. i found some metal stars at dollar tree that will be just the right size....i plan to assemble them back to back (they are flat on the back) to make it fully 3d. Then i am not sure if i will need to cover this with paper mache first or maybe just paint. Then i will glue on these beautiful glass tiles he brought home from work a while ago. they are small and gorgeous in a multitude of colors and i have been waiting for the perfect use for them...i think this is it...they are colored but translucent and i think will reflect the lights beautifully.
I have also been wondering whether i should make him some new pajama pants. This may be the one gift i buy, because i would have to buy fabric and i am thinking that will cost about the same as just buying him a new pair.

Mama to 3 boys 

#323 of 650 Old 11-16-2009, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Oh Mamas,I had a big old craft fail.UHG!I was trying to stencil some kung fu shoes for a 13 yr old friend.Did not work!I melted some of the elastic when I was trying to iron the freezer paper on to the shoes and then the freezer paper sort of stuck to the shoes.UHG!So if you have any ideas for a 13 year old boy...oh yeah and I just gave him a wallet for a party favor so I can't go back to my original idea for him.UHG!

#324 of 650 Old 11-16-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Oh Mamas,I had a big old craft fail.UHG!I was trying to stencil some kung fu shoes for a 13 yr old friend.Did not work!I melted some of the elastic when I was trying to iron the freezer paper on to the shoes and then the freezer paper sort of stuck to the shoes.UHG!So if you have any ideas for a 13 year old boy...oh yeah and I just gave him a wallet for a party favor so I can't go back to my original idea for him.UHG!
OH NO!!! That SUXS!!!

Teenage boys are HARD!!! I'm stumped for my 16 y/old cousin. Bought him a small game as a joke...and I think I'm actualy BUYING the rest of his gift

Does he have an i-pod? maybe an i-pod cozy?
Funky fleece tie quilt? I made one for my cousin last year out of a kit, and he keeps it on his bed all the time
A quillow? I think that's what they are called? Those pillows that turn into a blanket
A bed organizer that holds magazines, t.v. remote? that can slip under his matress and hang down the side.
A messanger bag, with a pocket for cellphone, i-pod what have you
A fleece scarf with "pockets" at the ends for his hands to slip in when cold/another pocket w velcro for cell/ipod whatever

I'm at the thumb hole for my aunts fingerless gloves...now to just learn how to knit button holes

#325 of 650 Old 11-16-2009, 03:10 PM

Hi everyone! Mind if I join?

I could use some help figuring out some gifts for a few people:

Nephews (age 4 and 10) - They are extremely rough on toys and don't take care of things. I want something that I'm not going to put a lot of work into that they don't appreciate. (I may end up buying something cheap for them, anyway, unless you guys have some awesome ideas.)

Brother, age 21 - College student, in final year of nursing program. Very "guy" ish, loves sports and beer.

BIL, age 16 - Likes to fish and hunt

SIL, age 17 - Senior in high school, very sporty and preppy, loves clothes and fashion. I'm stumped by her, because anything I think of doesn't seem good enough.

My dad - Very much like my brother, loves beer and football and Star Trek.

My limitations: I can't knit or crochet at ALL, but I sew. Needs to be extremely cheap, because I'm working on a TIGHT budget here.

I have gotten some amazing ideas from all of you! I am definitely going to do the tea cup candles for my MIL and step mother, if I can find decent tea cups.

Thanks you guys!!! This thread is awesome. I'll be back later with my own ideas to add.
#326 of 650 Old 11-16-2009, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
OH NO!!! That SUXS!!!

Teenage boys are HARD!!! I'm stumped for my 16 y/old cousin. Bought him a small game as a joke...and I think I'm actualy BUYING the rest of his gift

Does he have an i-pod? maybe an i-pod cozy?
Funky fleece tie quilt? I made one for my cousin last year out of a kit, and he keeps it on his bed all the time
A quillow? I think that's what they are called? Those pillows that turn into a blanket
A bed organizer that holds magazines, t.v. remote? that can slip under his matress and hang down the side.
A messanger bag, with a pocket for cellphone, i-pod what have you
A fleece scarf with "pockets" at the ends for his hands to slip in when cold/another pocket w velcro for cell/ipod whatever

I'm at the thumb hole for my aunts fingerless gloves...now to just learn how to knit button holes
THANKS!for all the ideas.I had been considering a messenger bag.Maybe I will make one and stencil it with what I was trying to stencil on the shoes?

Glad to hear you're still making progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post
Hi everyone! Mind if I join?

I could use some help figuring out some gifts for a few people:

Nephews (age 4 and 10) - They are extremely rough on toys and don't take care of things. I want something that I'm not going to put a lot of work into that they don't appreciate. (I may end up buying something cheap for them, anyway, unless you guys have some awesome ideas.)

Brother, age 21 - College student, in final year of nursing program. Very "guy" ish, loves sports and beer.

BIL, age 16 - Likes to fish and hunt

SIL, age 17 - Senior in high school, very sporty and preppy, loves clothes and fashion. I'm stumped by her, because anything I think of doesn't seem good enough.

My dad - Very much like my brother, loves beer and football and Star Trek.

My limitations: I can't knit or crochet at ALL, but I sew. Needs to be extremely cheap, because I'm working on a TIGHT budget here.

I have gotten some amazing ideas from all of you! I am definitely going to do the tea cup candles for my MIL and step mother, if I can find decent tea cups.

Thanks you guys!!! This thread is awesome. I'll be back later with my own ideas to add.
What about stenciled or appliqued t-shirts for the rough nephews?

Sew Mama Sew is doing their annual Handmade Holidays posts.Lots of good ideas!They have a couple of themes so far that sound like they might fit your SIL.Also they were doing a scrap buster theme.So lots of ideas for using up scraps.That would be a way to stay in the budget.

I have a hard time my self,with the fellas.Last year I made some guys pillows made from t-shirts that I got at the thrift store.Maybe you could look for some of their favorite sports teams?

#327 of 650 Old 11-16-2009, 04:07 PM

Oh, Rere! Thanks for the link to Sew Mama Sew! Wow, I see lots of stuff for SIL there! (And me.)
#328 of 650 Old 11-16-2009, 05:24 PM

So I've been asking ds what he wants santa to bring him, so we can write his letter before the parade next week. And he asked for "dr. house" YUP my 3y/old LOVES the "dr show" so lucky me I had found a whole bunch of iron on transfers the other day and think I'm going to print off a pic of "dr.house" for ds...lucky me I just bought him a bunch of plain white hanes undershirts

Now if I could think of something to make dd one of too....hmm

#329 of 650 Old 11-16-2009, 05:48 PM

Almost done with one sock. Finished a bread blanket. Knit seven inches on a new pair of socks. Still making slow progress on the blanket. With the casting on of the socks, I've put my last thing on the needles. (yeah!) If I still have some time and am not feeling too stressed out, I'd like to knit up some mini mitten ornaments to go with my food gifts.
#330 of 650 Old 11-16-2009, 08:25 PM

so far I've made three felted bowls. I'm in the process of kool aid dying them, then I will be embroidering them. They're my first felt bowls and were surprisingly quick and easy to knit up!

I'm also making a sweater for a doll for ds. I'll probably be attempting a Waldorf doll as well, he LOVES dolls.

I'm also working on a play yard play mat thing that I started last autumn. Hopefully I'll actually finish it this year!

And I'm working on a crochet afghan for dh, that again, I started last year ;-) I have a ton more things I want to make but I'm trying not to overload myself!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page