Christmas!or any other December(ish)time gift giving celebration! - Page 12 - Mothering Forums

#331 of 650 Old 11-18-2009, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to throw out to you ladies this neat knit soccer ball pattern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#332 of 650 Old 11-18-2009, 12:08 PM

AH!! I am so behind on this. I've been swamped at work (more than usual) and haven't had a single moment to work on anything in the last week or 2.
Im STILL working on those d@*n leg warmers! Today should be a good day to get some stuff finished.
#333 of 650 Old 11-18-2009, 02:45 PM

I just finished the first fingerless glove...seriously I should have been done days ago, its such a quick, easy pattern. BUT either way number one is done and number 2 is going to be started at nap time

I did fill out 16ish xmas postcards last night...not crafty but needed to be done!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family

#334 of 650 Old 11-18-2009, 07:56 PM

Found another yummy thing to give to the women in my family and friends. Im going to make my special cramp ease tincture and a moon time dream pillow with yummy red fabric. Im thinking of putting them in a nice fabric bag with a lovely note of some ways to celebrate menstruation.
#335 of 650 Old 11-18-2009, 08:02 PM

Any stocking stuffer ideas ladies?
#336 of 650 Old 11-18-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
Found another yummy thing to give to the women in my family and friends. Im going to make my special cramp ease tincture and a moon time dream pillow with yummy red fabric. Im thinking of putting them in a nice fabric bag with a lovely note of some ways to celebrate menstruation.
That's a gift I would LOVE to get!

There's an organic PMS tea that helps with bloating...I LOVE THAT! If you want to throw something like that into the bag.

Can I come to xmas where you are?

#337 of 650 Old 11-18-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
That's a gift I would LOVE to get!

There's an organic PMS tea that helps with bloating...I LOVE THAT! If you want to throw something like that into the bag.

Come on over!
OOoo that tea sounds great! Do you have a recipe or is there a specific brand you like to use?
#338 of 650 Old 11-19-2009, 04:18 PM

Finished one black women's sock (need to do one more) and have made a pair of wool men's socks. I made the mistake of letting my husband try them on- now I need to knit him a pair! Also finished a hat for husband.

Still knitting away on my mom's afghan. Going to do two more pairs of wool socks and the afghan. Then, I can do some mini mittens.
#339 of 650 Old 11-19-2009, 05:51 PM

Just saw this and thought some of you might like it.

http://www.craftstylish.com/item/306...-fleece-hoodie
#340 of 650 Old 11-20-2009, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
HA!I was going to say the same thing.Well...I'm already in the area but I'm just wondering how to get on her list.

Exciting to hear people are getting stuff done.Hopefully today I will accomplish something.I think my goal will be to make an earring /necklace holder for my sister.

#341 of 650 Old 11-20-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
Come on over!
OOoo that tea sounds great! Do you have a recipe or is there a specific brand you like to use?
The brand I get is Traditional Medicinals PMS TEA. They are all individually wrapped so you could throw a couple in w each gift, theres 20 in a box.

I got both fingerless gloves done Then started a cute beret for dd or dh's cousins little girl..I hadnt decided. BUT then realized that my double pointed needles aren't going to fit the project now that I have to double the amount of stitches

#342 of 650 Old 11-20-2009, 01:29 PM

So far, I have made:

felt mail envelopes for DS, and I'm going to laminate post cards to slide into the felt envelopes. (Didn't use a tutorial, just winged it.) His mail set is going to include a real mailbox, and a felt "box" with felt cookies in it. (Got the idea for the box and cookies from an Etsy shop.)

A cloth bassinet for DD. I used this EXTREMELY easy to follow tutorial from Nothing Fancy. http://nothingfancyschmancy.blogspot...-tutorial.html

A house purse for my niece. I'm going to put some crayons and maybe sticky notes inside. I got the idea from this website:
http://thelongthread.com/?p=4623

A Black Apple Doll, for my other niece, from the Martha Stewart website. I couldn't download the tutorial so I had to wing it, and it's super cute other than her really floppy neck.

A little purse/bag for the same niece, for her birthday party. I used my own pattern and it's a really basic lined bag, with her name printed on the front in felt letters.

Fabric bookmarks, I got the idea from this website: http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=1971 These will go to various people as a small part of their presents.

So far, the grand total for these items is $0. I used all material I had left over from previous projects, so although I spent money on them at one time, I don't really count it because it's all left over scraps. (And all this took me less than 3 days, because I chose really easy projects. )

I still plan to make:

Bathtub crayons, from this recipe: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ns.html?cat=24 These will be for a nephew. (He'll also get something else to go with them.)

A bag, for a 17 year old SIL, from this website: http://vintagericrac.blogspot.com/20...-tutorial.html

A wooden play kitchen for my two kids, with the help of my DH, from this website: http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/feb...?image_id=3301

A dress up trunk for DD, mostly from put-together items, with a few hand made things like masks and capes.

Other super cool ideas in case any of you need them:

A memory game, using vintage books: http://www.oneshetwoshe.com/2009/09/...-she-jill.html (I would TOTALLY do this except I don't have a printer. I think this is GORGEOUS!!!)

A felt playhouse: http://homemadebyjill.blogspot.com/2...playhouse.html (Had I found this idea a few months ago I would have totally done this. This is amazing! Maybe next year...)

Fabric buckets: I still may do these, depending on my time schedule. Maybe for my nephew, if I can find cute fabric? http://vintagericrac.blogspot.com/20...h-buckets.html I saw another girl do this with old jeans, and it was SO cute.
#343 of 650 Old 11-20-2009, 01:40 PM

Oooh! Here is an awesome idea, especially for those tricky guys that can be so hard to make for. A sofa caddy to hold remote controls:

http://sew4home.com/projects/storage...09-sofa-caddy4
#344 of 650 Old 11-20-2009, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

PenelopeJune,

Really great Ideas!Thanks for all the links.

Well,I've got some candles cooling for my sister.I made a huge mess because I originally put too much melted wax in the glass cups.But I think they're good now.Hopefully I will still get her earring/necklace holder made today.Although she is coming over later so we'll see.I think I'll try to make her a matching scarf holder too.

Has anyone ever modge podged fabric to wood?Any tips?

#345 of 650 Old 11-20-2009, 06:51 PM

Those crayons are so cool. I will have to make some to go with my nieces' blankets. They would also be really easy to make in a foriegn country as they are made of common substances. Because they're made of soap, they could be "colored" all over the kid's body as well.

Knit about 7" on one sock for my husband. Working on my mom's afghan now.
#346 of 650 Old 11-20-2009, 06:55 PM

Starting my tinctures this weekend! I just have to go get some Cramp bark, yarrow and 80 proof vodka. Almost done with those dang leg warmers too. They are the death of me I tell you! I'm just not cut out for knitting I suppose.
#347 of 650 Old 11-22-2009, 10:15 AM

My aunt came and watched the kids on Sat. and since her fingerless gloves were done, and she knew about them..I gave them to her...figured she'd atleast get an extra months use out of them and I wouldn't have to store/wrap them

I'm still working on the beret...seriously the decreasing is killing me! so slow! AndI think its going to be too big for dd, if so it's going to dh's cousins little girl, then w the leftover blue from my aunts gloves I'll make her ds something...saves me 20-40 at the store trying to buy them something!

Wish me luck we're off to get our family picture taken today! They've got there work cut out for them, a grumpy dh(who REALLY hates getting his picture taken!!), a fidgetty 10 month old, and a hyper 3 y/old and a sick me...should be good times!

#348 of 650 Old 11-22-2009, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Wish me luck we're off to get our family picture taken today! They've got there work cut out for them, a grumpy dh(who REALLY hates getting his picture taken!!), a fidgetty 10 month old, and a hyper 3 y/old and a sick me...should be good times!
My friends have 4 kids.Last year they were 11,4,2 and infant.The picture they sent out was hilarious!They tried forever to get a good one and finally gave up and sent out a realistic one.One of them was picking their nose,one was screaming,one was crying(I think that's why the session ended) and one was all goofy.

As hilarious as it was I do wish you better luck!

#349 of 650 Old 11-22-2009, 02:01 PM

My mom gave me a good idea and I thought I'd share it with all of you. I needed a gift for a 2 1/2 year old boy and a 4 year old boy, and my mom suggested a tool belt. I think it's a terrific idea!

I can't find a tutorial for one, but I figured I'd just copy my husband's tool belt and just scale it down to size. I'm going to use brown felt, our Walmart has felt by the yard for like $2/yard. My mom thinks I should put a buckle on them, but that sounds too complicated so I think I'll just give them long ties, like an apron.

Anyway, maybe some of you can use the idea!
#350 of 650 Old 11-22-2009, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post
My mom gave me a good idea and I thought I'd share it with all of you. I needed a gift for a 2 1/2 year old boy and a 4 year old boy, and my mom suggested a tool belt. I think it's a terrific idea!

I can't find a tutorial for one, but I figured I'd just copy my husband's tool belt and just scale it down to size. I'm going to use brown felt, our Walmart has felt by the yard for like $2/yard. My mom thinks I should put a buckle on them, but that sounds too complicated so I think I'll just give them long ties, like an apron.

I made one for my daughter using old jeans.If you want to do a buckle you can buy those ones you squeeze to open at the fabric store and they're really easy to sew on but a tie would be cute too.

#351 of 650 Old 11-22-2009, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
I made one for my daughter using old jeans.If you want to do a buckle you can buy those ones you squeeze to open at the fabric store and they're really easy to sew on but a tie would be cute too.
I just learned that those are called parachute clips, just to save you the charades of trying to describe what you're looking for to the people at the fabric store.
#352 of 650 Old 11-22-2009, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
I just learned that those are called parachute clips, just to save you the charades of trying to describe what you're looking for to the people at the fabric store.
Thank you!I knew there had to be a name for them but I had NO idea what it was.

#353 of 650 Old 11-22-2009, 10:07 PM

We're back from picture land and it was HORRIBLE! We did get a decent family shot, and an alright just kids shot! but godness way to much work! Bonus was we only spent $20.00. I have full intentions of scanning and printing the pictures at the .35 booths

I also finished the beret..I was running out of wool, so I had to wing the end, and let me tell you its ADORABLE! and it fits me!!! Dh thinks it looks great on me and I want to keep it I'm thinking if I can't get something made for dh's cousin's little girl then I'll give it to her...but if I find something for her the hat is MINE!!

Ds has been asking for tools and a bucket like handy manny....so ive been pricing plastic ones vs wooden and just talked to my F-I-L who is going to help me make ds tools from santa He's also making dd a push duck that's head bobs from santa and a table and chair set for ds from him and M-I-L..seriously I have wicked in-laws!!!

Off to hunt down some toy tool links to show him/do xmas cards

#354 of 650 Old 11-22-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post

If your a knitter, New Knits on the Block has a great pattern for a tool belt and tools!
http://www.amazon.com/New-Knits-Bloc...8942586&sr=8-1
#355 of 650 Old 11-24-2009, 11:17 AM

SO I've been taking a break....because I'm stumped on what to work on next. I need gifts for dh's cousins little ones a 2y old girl and a 4 y old boy. I could give the girl the hat I made and knit one for the boy...I really don't know BUT I got to figure something out. I'm going in for minor day surgery today and who knows how long I'm going to hav to wait so I would like something on the needles!

#356 of 650 Old 11-24-2009, 12:19 PM

Some of my favorite boy hat patterns are the R2D2 hat, and the coney hat. I'm Panjo on Ravelry if you want to see my finished ones. Coney is a great stash buster and mindless knit which is nice for a project on the go.

If you sew, even just as a beginner you could make the girl a bookbag and put a few used kids books in it. That is my go to gift. Lately I've been using a drawing my son did (3years old) and embroidering it on a pocket of the bookbag.
#357 of 650 Old 11-24-2009, 03:19 PM

I found a newsboy cap that I jsut started to knit...I'm doing it in a funky orange w the thought that once its too small it can be used by his little sister(plus I have an abundance of orange so I don't have to buy any yarn)

Hopefully I'll get the ribbing done(have to increase needles after that) before I go so it's straight knitting at the hospital...

We're maybe going to get santa pictures done after the mall by the hospital does FREE santa pictures Not looking forward to the line up though but am looking forward to saving 20 bucks

#358 of 650 Old 11-24-2009, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I found a newsboy cap that I jsut started to knit...I'm doing it in a funky orange w the thought that once its too small it can be used by his little sister(plus I have an abundance of orange so I don't have to buy any yarn)

Hopefully I'll get the ribbing done(have to increase needles after that) before I go so it's straight knitting at the hospital...

We're maybe going to get santa pictures done after the mall by the hospital does FREE santa pictures Not looking forward to the line up though but am looking forward to saving 20 bucks
Hope everything goes well with your surgery (and that you get some uninterrupted knitting time in).

#359 of 650 Old 11-24-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Hope everything goes well with your surgery (and that you get some uninterrupted knitting time in).

Surprising the wait/procedure didn't take more then an hour total! So I didn't even p/up the needles! And we did get to see Santa! Hurt to be walking the mall but it was the only time dh could go w us unless we went on the weekend which is not my idea of a good time. There was only 8 kids infront of us they already emailed the picture and they did a video recording of dc sitting w santa...all for FREE!!!!

#360 of 650 Old 11-25-2009, 04:37 AM

Finished my MIL crochet hook clutch! Its fabulous!

My sister is about to have a baby girl and I forgot to add her to the list. HELP! What can I sew her that isn't clothes? My sister is VERY picky with her littles clothing & wouldn't appreciate handmade clothes. Any ideas?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page