Christmas!or any other December(ish)time gift giving celebration! - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-30-2009, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
I was trying to figure it out.I asked her what would Santa's love be?No real answer.Then I asked her if it would look like something.Red.She also commented that she knew Santa was very kind to bring all those toys to the children but she just wants his love.

I think it's because she wants to hang out with Santa.

I ended up making a little red velvet heart last night.I embroidered the word love on it(wow,I need some practice with the embroidery)and I'll put it in her stocking.

Ds went and saw santa, when santa asked his one xmas wish was...ds replied "to play with you"..it was ADORABLE..but heartbreaking as well. cool thing is dh's xmas party(our first year going) is kid friendly..and santa comes and plays with the kids, calls them by their names and gives them a present

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2009, 03:42 PM

Everyone's stuff looks so great! we decided on a last minute trip up to my grandmas..which should have meant a ton of crafting..but I forgot my knitting! boo!

I did get my grandmas xmas tree up for her, it made my heart filled with xmas cheer to see her sitting in her rocking chair knitting in front of the tree

Old 11-30-2009, 04:37 PM

Ahh, that's what Christmas is all about- knitting in front of the tree.

Still working on my mom's afghan (think big green monster instead of afghan). I cast on my brother's socks last night and knit about 8 inches on them. I'm feeling pretty good about Christmas, but I still have a lot of the afghan to knit. My plan B is to wrap up the afghan still on the needles (less stress), but then I wonder when I'll actually get it finished if I cop out like that.

Great ideas, everyone. I'm really enjoying this thread.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zech13_9_goforgold View Post
Ahh, that's what Christmas is all about- knitting in front of the tree.

Still working on my mom's afghan (think big green monster instead of afghan). I cast on my brother's socks last night and knit about 8 inches on them. I'm feeling pretty good about Christmas, but I still have a lot of the afghan to knit. My plan B is to wrap up the afghan still on the needles (less stress), but then I wonder when I'll actually get it finished if I cop out like that.

Great ideas, everyone. I'm really enjoying this thread.

My dh's grandma does that..but then forgets to finish the gift

I'm done the orange hat I am going to get ds to try it on and adjust where needed..I don't think I'm going to put plastic in just 'cause of washing issues. I might add a pom pom on top since it doesn't quite look like the hat from the pattern.
Washing the fabric for M-I-L's gifts right now.

Can't believe how well I'm doing...BUT I don't have anything for dh still I really can't think of anything..I may have to take a trip to the wool shop on Thursday and figure something out

Old 11-30-2009, 06:36 PM

found something else for dp. This looks just like Indiana Jones' whip. The blogger calls it a "truly dangerous toy for boys," so as much as 8 yo ds would love one, i am making it for daddy.
http://www.skiptomylou.org/2008/05/2...tape-bullwhip/

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 11-30-2009, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Yay!for everyone's progress!

I saw those whips a while back and had to make sure not to show my daughter.I would have never heard the end of it and my husband would have encouraged her (because he would want to play with it too).

Last year my daughter figured out that lots of people dress up in Santa suits.We might go see him anyways.

I just made a little toad stool for her stocking.

Caiesmommy,

Could he use a bag?Maybe with something musical appliqued or stenciled on it?Or a lap blanket?How about a stuffed upright bass?

Old 11-30-2009, 09:10 PM

And I am DONE with four mailbags! Whew! Now I just have to make 20 (20!!!!) felt envelopes to go inside of each of them. And about a million other things, too. But the mailbags being done really takes a load off my mind.

Aww! I want to make a toadstool. Did you just wing it or follow a tutorial, rere? I saw some really cute ones in Martha Stewart this month, with sweet little embroidered faces.
Old 11-30-2009, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post
And I am DONE with four mailbags! Whew! Now I just have to make 20 (20!!!!) felt envelopes to go inside of each of them. And about a million other things, too. But the mailbags being done really takes a load off my mind.

Aww! I want to make a toadstool. Did you just wing it or follow a tutorial, rere? I saw some really cute ones in Martha Stewart this month, with sweet little embroidered faces.
Yay!for the mail bags being done.It feels even better to finish something that was giving you a hard time.Victory!

I just winged the toadstool.I thought about a little face but wasn't sure.I'll have to check out the ones in Martha.I kinda want to make a big bunch of them.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:40 PM

Penelope-How will you be doing the envelope/letters. I need to make some to go with the mailboxes I made, but was thinking about fabric postcards. Just seeing what you had planned.

*Nevermind, I looked up thread where I thought I had seen you write about it earlier. Great idea on laminated cards with felt envelopes.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:26 PM

I tried the hat on ds and it's adorable! The beak won't need anything to stiffen it once I fo dome sewing to it. It's quite big on ds which is great since his cousin has a HUGE head

I worked on dd's doll a bit before nap time ended...the hair is taking so long!

We went to the "holiday train"tonight...the canadian train company has a train fully decorated and it stops into towns across canada and a stage folds down and a concert happens, santa comes out and dances..all they ask is that you donate to the food bank. Its a great time! Helps that this year it was one of my fave canadian bands! dd cried until I bribed her with chips Ds rocked out

All these activities are making me more excited but also making me realize its getting close

Old 12-01-2009, 01:23 AM

oh. my. goodness. I have loved reading all of y'all's gift ideas! My ds is only 4mo, I can't wait until next Christmas when I can make him things he will actually appreciate and play with.

Breastfeeding, delayed/selective vax, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, homebirthing mama to son River 8/10/09 and daughter Austen 10/13/11
mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpg homebirth.jpgcd.gif

Old 12-01-2009, 02:33 AM

I'm going crazy! I JUST saw those toadstools in Martha (I thought!) and now I can't find them anywhere. I read three magazines in the last two days and I know it's in one of them (Nov and Dec Marthas, and the latest Real Simple) but can't find them. Oh, well. I hope you find them, rere!

And I decided to copy you and made a little toadstool of my own. It's orange with white felt dots and super cute. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but I looped some string through it's top and hung it on my tree.

takebirthback, if you do felt envelopes, it's soooo easy. I thought about fabric, but I think it would have been a bit harder. With the felt I just cut it to my envelope size, folded it and sewed, leaving some hanging so I can attach velcro and close them. (If I can only find my velcro. Ack! Why am I so scatter-brained?) Oh, but before I sewed them, I sewed little scraps of felt to look like mailing labels and address labels, and a little stamp. Super, super easy. I did about 5 in 20 minutes.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaves View Post
oh. my. goodness. I have loved reading all of y'all's gift ideas! My ds is only 4mo, I can't wait until next Christmas when I can make him things he will actually appreciate and play with.
It really is great to make things for your own kid!

Quote:
I'm going crazy! I JUST saw those toadstools in Martha (I thought!) and now I can't find them anywhere. I read three magazines in the last two days and I know it's in one of them (Nov and Dec Marthas, and the latest Real Simple) but can't find them. Oh, well. I hope you find them, rere!

And I decided to copy you and made a little toadstool of my own. It's orange with white felt dots and super cute. I have no idea what I'm going to do with it, but I looped some string through it's top and hung it on my tree.

takebirthback, if you do felt envelopes, it's soooo easy. I thought about fabric, but I think it would have been a bit harder. With the felt I just cut it to my envelope size, folded it and sewed, leaving some hanging so I can attach velcro and close them. (If I can only find my velcro. Ack! Why am I so scatter-brained?) Oh, but before I sewed them, I sewed little scraps of felt to look like mailing labels and address labels, and a little stamp. Super, super easy. I did about 5 in 20 minutes.
I can never find what I'm looking for.All the craft sites just run together in my brain.

A toadstool ornament...how cute!Now I'm picturing a whole tree covered in toadstools.Ok,I'm getting carried away.

The whole mail system sounds great!

My sweet nephew will be here today so I probably won't get anything done but we'll see...

Old 12-01-2009, 01:53 PM

I'm drying the fabric for M-I-L's sachets right now. Then today I'm planning on cutting the fabric up. Hopefully sewing tonight after the kids go to bed

Here's my list so far:

Ds-wooden tools- F-I-L-started
-Dr. House t-shirt
-Fishing game-started
-Art supply basket-DONE
Dd-knitted skirt-DONE
-doll-started
-music inst. box-started
DH?
F-I-L socks DONE!
M-I-L-sachets/rice bag
B-I-L-hat-DONE and sent
S-I-L-socks-DONE and sent
Grandma-socks-DONE
Aunt-fingerless gloves-DONE
Uncle-food gift basket-started
cousin-bought game need to come up with something else
Dh's cousins ds-hat-DONE
" " dd-hat-DONE
Dh's OTHER cousin's dd-bought pjs will knit a hat too prob if time but I'm considering DONE
mine and Dh's other aunts/uncles-preserves-DONE
BFF's dog-dress-DONE
BFF-scarf-started
BFF's bf-? booze prob
My male BFF-? booze prob
Boss-? booze prob

Old 12-01-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
I'm drying the fabric for M-I-L's sachets right now. Then today I'm planning on cutting the fabric up. Hopefully sewing tonight after the kids go to bed

Here's my list so far:

Ds-wooden tools- F-I-L-started
-Dr. House t-shirt
-Fishing game-started
-Art supply basket-DONE
Dd-knitted skirt-DONE
-doll-started
-music inst. box-started
DH?
F-I-L socks DONE!
M-I-L-sachets/rice bag
B-I-L-hat-DONE and sent
S-I-L-socks-DONE and sent
Grandma-socks-DONE
Aunt-fingerless gloves-DONE
Uncle-food gift basket-started
cousin-bought game need to come up with something else
Dh's cousins ds-hat-DONE
" " dd-hat-DONE
Dh's OTHER cousin's dd-bought pjs will knit a hat too prob if time but I'm considering DONE
mine and Dh's other aunts/uncles-preserves-DONE
BFF's dog-dress-DONE
BFF-scarf-started
BFF's bf-? booze prob
My male BFF-? booze prob
Boss-? booze prob
Girl You are on top of it!! Bravo! I'm very impressed!!

Old 12-01-2009, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Beansandricerevolt,

I think I'm going to make my brother some wrist warmers.Any tips?

Old 12-01-2009, 02:42 PM

I saw an old fashioned style night cap (the hat, not the drink) on Ravelry yesterday. It was a 1840's pattern from a women's mag of the time. It looked really neat and would be a fun gift to go with the pjs.

Leaves- you'd better get started on next Christmas soon because soon your little one will be running and climbing and you won't have very much time. This thread and others have good ideas for twelve to eighteen month olds.

Almost done with one of my brother's socks. Still knitting on the afghan. Found some knitting around the house that I had finished in the summer and decided to give it away to grandma. I had made it for our new house (we're moving soon), but have decided that saving my sanity is more important. I can always knit another one after Christmas, but can't knit anything more now.

I'm also going to make my own chocolate covered coffee beans in Christmas colors using Wilkins melting chocolates. I'll let everyone know how they go. I'm excited about the way that they will look finished- so pretty. Maybe. You know how make-yourself stuff can go sometimes.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:34 PM

Hi everyone!
Your projects are so inspiring.
I just pulled out my sewing machine last week. My projects are going to be small in order to keep stress at a minimum. I can't stay up very late at night too often for crafting.

My simple projects are a couple of marble bags, fabric bookmarks, and I'm finishing up a bulky baby blanket for a friend.

I'm looking for a good project to use up my some of my holiday-themed fabric from years past. My MIL would appreciate something, but I can't think of anything, maybe a table runner?

Also, we are making our own holiday cards - I will do embossing, but I'm not sure what else.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Beansandricerevolt,

I think I'm going to make my brother some wrist warmers.Any tips?
I used the sleeves of a felted sweater. The cuff from the sweater is the cuff of the warmers. I cut a thumb hole on the side and used wool yarn mostly for decorating the thumb holes and entrance hole for the hands. I used an overcast stitch for this. Odds are the cuts wont fray if it felted up nicely. Then I cut up a few patches & sewed them on by hand. Very easy! and took less than 2 hours. Depending on the size of the arm, you may need to take the sleeve in a bit which I did do for dds. For this I just cut down the original seam before I made the thumb hole & stitched up with my sewing machine.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
I used the sleeves of a felted sweater. The cuff from the sweater is the cuff of the warmers. I cut a thumb hole on the side and used wool yarn mostly for decorating the thumb holes and entrance hole for the hands. I used an overcast stitch for this. Odds are the cuts wont fray if it felted up nicely. Then I cut up a few patches & sewed them on by hand. Very easy! and took less than 2 hours. Depending on the size of the arm, you may need to take the sleeve in a bit which I did do for dds. For this I just cut down the original seam before I made the thumb hole & stitched up with my sewing machine.
Thank you!

Old 12-02-2009, 12:17 AM

So those toadstools I was talking about...not only weren't they in Martha they weren't in a magazine at all. So sorry. Here's the link. They are awfully cute. http://thelongthread.com/?p=5237
Old 12-02-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
So those toadstools I was talking about...not only weren't they in Martha they weren't in a magazine at all. So sorry. Here's the link. They are awfully cute. http://thelongthread.com/?p=5237
Thank You! Those are adorable. Im going to make one for each little as a gift from Saint Nicholas on Saturday! Saint Nicholas comes to our home the night of Dec. 5 and brings with him a candy treat, Christmas ornament & small hand made toy. All are stuffed into the shoe they leave out for him. He is our "santa". We don't do santa on Christmas. Those gifts under the tree are from mama, papa family & friends
Old 12-02-2009, 12:42 AM

Started DH's wallet. I make him one every year. This year Im embroidering a zombie on it. I have the actual wallet done but need to start the stitching. I was hoping to get that done tonight but DH decided he wasn't going to go hang with his buddies after all. Maybe I can finish that reading pillow instead
Old 12-02-2009, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
HA!See that's what happens to me all the time.

Thank you.Those are soooo cute!Except now I think I need to make a tree.My daughter was gifted this house and those trees would be so cute with it.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thank You! Those are adorable. Im going to make one for each little as a gift from Saint Nicholas on Saturday! Saint Nicholas comes to our home the night of Dec. 5 and brings with him a candy treat, Christmas ornament & small hand made toy. All are stuffed into the shoe they leave out for him. He is our "santa". We don't do santa on Christmas. Those gifts under the tree are from mama, papa family & friends
So sweet.

Quote:
Started DH's wallet. I make him one every year. This year Im embroidering a zombie on it. I have the actual wallet done but need to start the stitching. I was hoping to get that done tonight but DH decided he wasn't going to go hang with his buddies after all. Maybe I can finish that reading pillow instead
I was thinking about also making my brother a wallet.I made one for our 13 yr boy friend out a a kitty litter bag as a party favor.But I haven't tried one out of fabric.Do you need to do anything special to get it to stay closed?

I love the zombie idea!

Old 12-02-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Do you need to do anything special to get it to stay closed?
I have done 2 things. This year I added a 1" velcro square to keep it closed. Like this http://www.craftbits.com/project/super-cool-wallet Last year I added a button and a piece of yarn to loop over the button. You could also use elastic or add a fabric flap with a button hole. Heres an example of what it looked like http://lolanovablog.blogspot.com/200...-tutorial.html
Old 12-02-2009, 01:10 PM

Those are cool. I don't think my dh would appreciate a handmade wallet, but those are so cute, that now I'm trying to think of who I can make one for.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I have done 2 things. This year I added a 1" velcro square to keep it closed. Like this http://www.craftbits.com/project/super-cool-wallet Last year I added a button and a piece of yarn to loop over the button. You could also use elastic or add a fabric flap with a button hole. Heres an example of what it looked like http://lolanovablog.blogspot.com/200...-tutorial.html
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
Those are cool. I don't think my dh would appreciate a handmade wallet, but those are so cute, that now I'm trying to think of who I can make one for.
Not even if it were made out of a kitty litter bag or had a cool zombie embroidered on it?My husband wouldn't appreciate it either.Make one for yourself?

Old 12-02-2009, 01:27 PM

no other males in our family would appreciate it either. DH is very much into DIY & has only ever owned a handmade wallet.

What about making one out of leather scraps?

Im STILL trying to figure out what to make for FIL. He wouldn't appreciate a leather handmade wallet either
Old 12-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Food, I vote to give all difficult people food. That's what I'm doing, except it isn't necessarily that they're difficult, just that I can't possibly knit one more thing for anyone.

I knit all day yesterday on my big green monster (mom's afghan) and it doesn't really seem any closer to done.

At this point, I've done Christmas for about four or five months and it's really tempting to drop the holiday completely for now and start a project that's unrelated to Christmas. Like something just for me. I guess I'm starting to get grumpy. How can I enjoy knitting so much and yet desire so strongly to be done with it? The funniest thing is that when I finish, I'll just want to cast on another project. I don't understand myself sometimes.

User Tag List