Christmas!or any other December(ish)time gift giving celebration! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-05-2009, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthsMamma View Post
Links are fixed Phewwww!
Wonderful stuff!! After the holidays, im totally going to make myself one of those wind chimes & a headband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajahkat View Post
Yes! Super Easy~

recipe

I use the white chocolate chips from trader joes which doesn't have any hydrogenated oil in it. The one from tropical source is a good one too.

Thank you! The littles & I will have a blast making these!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2009, 11:28 PM

Check out how cute this Reindeer ornament is. It's a burnt out lightbulb!
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...t/IMG_3419.jpg

I wish I had a bunch more lightbulbs. I would make snowman and Santa Claus, but I don't have anymore.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Old 12-05-2009, 11:52 PM

Yay!!! I got DH's birthday sweater done and he tried it on and it fit perfectly! So I pulled out my sewing machine- finished a swap and made stockings for both of my boys (uh- guess the one didn't have one last year?). They are super cute- all of ours are made out of old jeans from DH. I still want to put our names on them- just have to figure that part out. I started embroidering on them- but that is really hard on denim. Puff paint?

Also- I just cast on for a sweater for DS1- sherwood in pf bagdad blue. This one will go quick once I figure out the chart. I hope- cause I want to make one for DS2 as well.

I will start working on the childrens new flannel pjs- but they have to go to bed first.....

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 12-06-2009, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by takebirthback View Post
Check out how cute this Reindeer ornament is. It's a burnt out lightbulb!
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...t/IMG_3419.jpg

I wish I had a bunch more lightbulbs. I would make snowman and Santa Claus, but I don't have anymore.
Cute!
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
Yay!!! I got DH's birthday sweater done and he tried it on and it fit perfectly! So I pulled out my sewing machine- finished a swap and made stockings for both of my boys (uh- guess the one didn't have one last year?). They are super cute- all of ours are made out of old jeans from DH. I still want to put our names on them- just have to figure that part out. I started embroidering on them- but that is really hard on denim. Puff paint?

Also- I just cast on for a sweater for DS1- sherwood in pf bagdad blue. This one will go quick once I figure out the chart. I hope- cause I want to make one for DS2 as well.

I will start working on the childrens new flannel pjs- but they have to go to bed first.....
Stencil the names on?

Old 12-06-2009, 12:49 AM

Haven't been able to work on anything these last 2 days. I went to a birth & forgot my knitting!! I could have finished a good chunk, if not all of my SIL leg warmers!
Old 12-06-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

Stockings made out of jeans sounds so cute! I would prob. just puffy paint the names on, although stenciling is a good idea.

BSR-sucks about forgetting the knitting. Especially at a birth, sometimes there is so much time to get stuff done.

Old 12-06-2009, 01:44 AM

Please be really careful and sensitive to others on this forum who may have lots of pain assosiated with pregnancy and birth. Can this please be a safe place for even the infertile women, like me? I'm not trying to start a fight, but could we please just stick to crafts?

Ok, today, I knit about five inches on the big green monster (most of the day). I also turned the heel on my sister's sock. I still need to wrap a bit, especially since people are going to start coming over soon (family staying overnight).

I really want to do some baking, but it's a little early in the month still. I don't have any freezer space left to store them. Instead, I entertain myself by looking up recipes and dreaming.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:40 PM

I think I'm going to knit this:http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter07/PATTfairy.html

for dd...I have a bunch of bernat organic BUT my doll will have to be green(well cactus so a pale green..this color(it's the middle green)http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=4926

Yay? OR Nay?

The dress would either be in baby blue OR a blue/white strip yarn if I stuck w organic or a bright orangey red if I used other cotton I have...

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 12-06-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
I think I'm going to knit this:http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEwinter07/PATTfairy.html

for dd...I have a bunch of bernat organic BUT my doll will have to be green(well cactus so a pale green..this color(it's the middle green)http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=4926

Yay? OR Nay?

The dress would either be in baby blue OR a blue/white strip yarn if I stuck w organic or a bright orangey red if I used other cotton I have...
I think think yay on the green.What a cute dolly!

Old 12-06-2009, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

UHG!on the 13 year old boy gift.UHG!UHG!UHG!

First I made him a wallet made out of fused plastic.I liked it ok but felt like it needed something to go with it.While trying to decide what to make to go with it I came up with the idea to stencil some karate shoes for him.My daughter's birthday party happened before I got to work on his shoes and I gave him a wallet as his party favor.The shoes went horribly wrong.So now I made him a belt.With a wallet it might be a good present.Alone it's a bit blah.But I already gave him a wallet.UHG!

What can I make this child?He's such a great guy.It's really bothering me that I can't come up with something.UHG!

Old 12-06-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
UHG!on the 13 year old boy gift.UHG!UHG!UHG!

First I made him a wallet made out of fused plastic.I liked it ok but felt like it needed something to go with it.While trying to decide what to make to go with it I came up with the idea to stencil some karate shoes for him.My daughter's birthday party happened before I got to work on his shoes and I gave him a wallet as his party favor.The shoes went horribly wrong.So now I made him a belt.With a wallet it might be a good present.Alone it's a bit blah.But I already gave him a wallet.UHG!

What can I make this child?He's such a great guy.It's really bothering me that I can't come up with something.UHG!

all I can think of is
messenger bag
ipod cozy
funky fleece hat(one w ear flaps/a tassel)

I think I finally got my 16 y old cousin I bought him the board game of "you know your a redneck when" as a joke...and then couldn't think of anything else...BUT at my works xmas party last night we did a $10.00 gift exchange and I got a Martin guitar hoodie! I chose it with full intentions of keeping it, its so super cozy...but its a mens xtra large and well its huge on me, and I know my cousin will just LOVE it....so im giving up my nice warm hoodie to him..thats

I picked up a sophie the giraffe for dd from my grandma for xmas today..seems to be the last one around here! Toys r us were sold out and I got the last one at the high end gift shop in town...lucky

Old 12-06-2009, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
all I can think of is
messenger bag
ipod cozy
funky fleece hat(one w ear flaps/a tassel)

I think I finally got my 16 y old cousin I bought him the board game of "you know your a redneck when" as a joke...and then couldn't think of anything else...BUT at my works xmas party last night we did a $10.00 gift exchange and I got a Martin guitar hoodie! I chose it with full intentions of keeping it, its so super cozy...but its a mens xtra large and well its huge on me, and I know my cousin will just LOVE it....so im giving up my nice warm hoodie to him..thats

I picked up a sophie the giraffe for dd from my grandma for xmas today..seems to be the last one around here! Toys r us were sold out and I got the last one at the high end gift shop in town...lucky
Thanks for the ideas.I'm thinking I might go messenger bag.The guy it's for had Sophie the Giraffe when he was a babe.

Nice score on the sweatshirt!

Old 12-06-2009, 08:04 PM

Quote:

Yay? OR Nay?

Yay!!

Old 12-06-2009, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Ok,I give up.I think I'm going to buy the 13 year old boy a t-shirt.I feel defeated.But I would rather buy him a t-shirt that he'll like than attempt a 4th present that isn't right for him either.UHG!

Old 12-06-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Ok,I give up.I think I'm going to buy the 13 year old boy a t-shirt.I feel defeated.But I would rather buy him a t-shirt that he'll like than attempt a 4th present that isn't right for him either.UHG!

Is he into movies? Could you do up a movie basket? a g/c for a rental, some homemade popped flavored popcorn/candy of some sort...maybe even a quick fleece no sew lap blanket?

Old 12-07-2009, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Could you freezer paper stencil something on the t-shirt?

Blessed partner to a great guy, and mama to 4 amazing kids. Unfortunate target of an irrationally angry IRL stalker.

Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned. ~ Buddha

Old 12-07-2009, 10:40 AM

I have really been enjoying making ornaments. I have never made any before, so I didn't realize. Here's another lightbulb one.
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...t/IMG_3422.jpg
You can't tell from the picture, but it does have a nose.
Which btw, I am really terrible at drawing noses. Seriously. I don't know how to get any better either.

I'm excited because today I get to go to Hobby lobby and get some stuff for my big project of the season. And it's actually something for my house! I am going to buy a bunch of cheap cross stitch frames in different sizes. Then I'm going to put different white and off white fabric in them and hang them up on my wall in a snowflake design. I'm excited for two reasons. 1. I have a large space on my wall, that it will take up, which will be nice. 2. I am using fabric from my MIL that she brought back from the Phillipins many many years ago (and that is where my husband was born). So it will have some nice meaning to it. I will keep it up past Xmas as well, and have it be Winter decoration, which makes me happy because I'm always trying to figure out what to do after I take the Xmas decorations down. The house always looks so bare.
Anyways, I'm very excited about this project. Just been waiting to get the frames.

I also finished up spray painting a bunch of pine cones white and putting hangers on them. They are on my MIL's tree and they look really fabulous. I am thinking about doing a ton for my tree, next year. I figure if they have a year to air out they wont stink so bad. My Mil didn't seem to care, but I def. do. Spray paint is so darn stinky.

I got tons of other odds and ends finished, like little bags for my snowman CD ornaments.

The only other thing I really *have* to do is sew up some cloth present bags, and sew up some cloth wipes for a friend. Everything is cut out and ready to go though.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
This is a mostly handmade Xmas for us this year.

I made my 1 yo a doll but she's already confiscated it. And I'm working on a wood fridge, castle blocks, 2 doll houses, barn, and wood figures for my kids. I don't know what to do for family. I'm thinking fingerless mitts and cookies and maybe ipod cozies for my brothers who are all teenagers.

I also made stockings for our advent calendar. I think I'll do something different next year, though. It's huge!

Waldorf doll and dollhouse mock-up in cardboard: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3672256...7622816058845/

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 12-07-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywitty View Post
This is a mostly handmade Xmas for us this year.

I made my 1 yo a doll but she's already confiscated it. And I'm working on a wood fridge, castle blocks, 2 doll houses, barn, and wood figures for my kids. I don't know what to do for family. I'm thinking fingerless mitts and cookies and maybe ipod cozies for my brothers who are all teenagers.

I also made stockings for our advent calendar. I think I'll do something different next year, though. It's huge!

Waldorf doll and dollhouse mock-up in cardboard: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3672256...7622816058845/
Great job! That house is really neat!

Old 12-07-2009, 03:19 PM

Eco-dolls head is done! woohoo!

Old 12-07-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Is he into movies? Could you do up a movie basket? a g/c for a rental, some homemade popped flavored popcorn/candy of some sort...maybe even a quick fleece no sew lap blanket?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenwith4 View Post
Could you freezer paper stencil something on the t-shirt?
Thanks for the suggestions!They made me decide not to give in.I'm going to first try to resurrect the shoes and if that doesn't work I will make him a t-shirt.

Today I'm determined to finish my mom's calendar.I'm at Dec but I needed a break.I will finish though.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:37 PM

i just made something extra for my baby. it wasn't on my list but i saw this:
http://homegrownhappy.blogspot.com/2...of-colors.html
and i couldn't resist.
this was easy and a lot of fun to make; i had the most fun designing the cover. it turned out GORGEOUS and this was so much fun to make, i didnt want to stop and am doing another for my nephew and another one for a baby not even born yet.
I made a brown page for the back cover and i used multi colored fabrics on the front- i did the cover crazy patch style, too, but started with a pieced patch in rainbow colors/order. And I used a rainbow ribbon. this might be the prettiest little project i have ever done- if you have any babies on your list you oughtta try one too, it was REALLY fun to make.

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 12-07-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
i just made something extra for my baby. it wasn't on my list but i saw this:
http://homegrownhappy.blogspot.com/2...of-colors.html
and i couldn't resist.
this was easy and a lot of fun to make; i had the most fun designing the cover. it turned out GORGEOUS and this was so much fun to make, i didnt want to stop and am doing another for my nephew and another one for a baby not even born yet.
I made a brown page for the back cover and i used multi colored fabrics on the front- i did the cover crazy patch style, too, but started with a pieced patch in rainbow colors/order. And I used a rainbow ribbon. this might be the prettiest little project i have ever done- if you have any babies on your list you oughtta try one too, it was REALLY fun to make.
LOVE the book! I may keep this in mind for future babes in my life

Nothing new to report. I've been busy helping the littles gather and make their christmas gifts for the family & their friends.
DD made some mix CDs for her friends today and DS & I made one of his friends this knight helmet http://play.powerhousemuseum.com/mak...ght_helmet.php
Old 12-07-2009, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

I finished the calendar!I nearly lost my mind with all those little squares.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:28 PM

LOVE the knights helmet! I have to show ds that!

The baby color book looks fun. I made something similar for my youngest last year with pictures of her (she turned 1 xmas eve) month by month on each page I printed out on inkjet iron-ons. It turned out awesome!

Old 12-08-2009, 12:03 AM

Thank you so much for the Knights helmet!! I am making a foam and fabric sword and I just found a foam sheild. Now I can make the helmet! Awesome. Thank you thank you thank you!!

Ms.Shell, lets see your book!

Old 12-08-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Ms.Shell, lets see your book!
I don't have a digital camera that connects to my computer.
I can get stuff developed on a disc tho, so i might use the rest of the film i have now and take it in for developing soon. Not sure if we can do developing and new film this week, tho, but i will see. I have several things i would love to "show off."

Is anyone else starting to feel pressure? Like 3 weeks left and I still have a lot of gifts to make!!! I was thinking, well, as long as i FINISH at least one project every day it will be fine, but now i see i have many more projects and ideas than days left. So its time to kick it up a notch. Today I need to finish 3 zip bags and ds' dog rocket (which is all done except for the hand stitching closed). I also want to heat up the glue gun and make many more felt poinsettas and also some pink/ bright colored flowers and cut the rest of the felt for the baby's ABC book. Crafting is definitely the priority now. DP is getting antsy that the house is becoming a mess and he cleaned on both his days off while i made more messes in the sewing room.

Mama to 3 boys 

Old 12-08-2009, 01:30 PM

I totally feel the pressure on. Especially since most of my gifts are woodworking ones this year and I don't have a workshop/garage. So I have to do it on my very cold, wet porch. I should have started ages ago, but I've been so busy.

Knitting is going fast, though. And luckily I have very little sewing to do by machine. That takes me forever!!!

Old 12-08-2009, 02:27 PM

I'm feeling the pressure..but Im lucky a lot of my projects I can take on the go..and we have A LOT of driving coming up

I checked out my In-Laws basement! OH MY GOSH!! Santa's workshop down there! The tools for ds are adorable..so much better then I could have imagined. Can't wait!

Ds and I just put salt dough ornaments in the oven, his present to the family

OH AND!!! Eco doll's body is done

Old 12-08-2009, 04:23 PM

I'm feeling the pressure a bit as I am doing well with the kids' stuff, but have not really touched anything for anyone else yet. Oops. So much for done by Thanksgiving. Plus I keep getting sidetracked by other projects. Last night I made a hat, mittens and pants for the kids- and gave them to them this morning. Though DS really needed mittens. They came out cute, check out pics if you want http://keagansmom.wordpress.com/2009...e-thrift-shop/ Tonight when they go to bed, it's all about Christmas.

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

User Tag List