Christmas!or any other December(ish)time gift giving celebration! - Page 22 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#631 of 650 Old 12-23-2009, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Everyone done?
I still haven't made the swords. But, I did sew up a dog bed for my dog!
I hope everyone has a great Christmas (if you celebrate it!) Hope everyone enjoys your gifts like they should. And I'm looking forward to doing a swap with you post holidays

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#632 of 650 Old 12-24-2009, 12:21 AM

Here's a couple of more FO's:
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...t/IMG_3453.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...t/IMG_3456.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...t/IMG_3458.jpg
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j5...t/IMG_3466.jpg

#633 of 650 Old 12-24-2009, 01:57 AM

I'm done! Done with wrapping and everything!

I'm really proud of myself. I never finish anything I start. And here I made 30+ gifts all on my own, and finished every one of them. I had several screw ups, and I just worked past them, or started over, and made it work. Yay for me! *pats own self on back*
#634 of 650 Old 12-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
LOVE everyone's work!!!

I still have to put the wood fridge doors on, finish knitting a pirate doll eye patch, viking hat, and make a pirate doll coat. But today is the youngest's birthday so I am only working on them when she's asleep. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#635 of 650 Old 12-24-2009, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Uhg!Ladies,I'm sick.I've been fighting it for weeks and it's finally got me.So glad I did almost all my wrapping already.So my husband's blanket is just going to have to be as done as done is going to get.It really is in presentable condition.

caiesmommy,that sounds like a great tradition.I wish we had a gingerbread kit to work on.Don't know how I'm going to entertain my daughter until it's time to go to my aunt's house.She's so excited I think she might bust.

TBB,you changed your name!Anyway...nice stuff!and I'll be waiting for the swap!

PenelopeJune,that really is a great accomplishment.and it's so nice to hear that you're proud of yourself.

Happy Birthday to the littlest KittyWitty!

Happy gift giving everyone!And thanks so much for posting.It's really kept me going.Thank you!

#636 of 650 Old 12-25-2009, 05:21 PM

So???? Did you all give your gifts? How were they received?

I heard nothing but good things about the gifts I gave. Everyone seemed to genuinely appreciate them.

And of all people, my younger stepbrother LOVED the gifts I gave his kids. He was super stoked about everything, and now he's convinced me to go halves with him in our local HUGE craft festival next October, and split the booth fee. He's going to make dollhouses, I'm going to make random-whatever toys. I'm really excited about that, and it gives me something to work towards for the rest of the year.

Having gifts to make for Christmas really gave me a purpose and a goal, and I felt good about myself. For way too long I've just been "mommy," which is awesome, but I need a little something more for myself. My kids are getting a bit older and can play by themselves for long stretches of time, and I need an activity to do that isn't just sitting and reading or watching TV. So getting stuff ready for a craft festival seems the PERFECT solution for me!

Thank you all for the great convos, suggestions, and inspirations for the last month or so. I know it may seem a little silly (or maybe not, to you who understand how this is) but it's been very transformational for me.

to all of you!
#637 of 650 Old 12-25-2009, 06:20 PM

Pictures: http://gazeintotheheavens.blogspot.c...-holidays.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36722567@N06/

The gifts were well received. I still haven't taken pictures of the doll I made my mom, or the pirate doll, or about 10 other wood figures I made. Ds loved the pirate doll and his dragon, dragon cave, and goat. My youngest loved her cubbies with toys and dollhouse. My 5 yo could care less about her dollhouse. The playdough seemed to be the biggest hit! I made 5 kinds and go figure, the last minute cheapo gift is the best.

Ds' hat is almost done. I ran out of yarn 1" from being done, but I just found some more, so hopefully I'll finish today.

#638 of 650 Old 12-26-2009, 09:17 AM

Rere- are you feeling better? I hope so and I hope you were able to enjoy your holiday!

Also, I had to change my name for some upcoming changes here at MDC.
I noticed that they spelled it wrong though..LOL, so that needs to be corrected.

Well I realized that most the gifts I made were for my kids. There were several I made and gave throughout the month and those were all very well received. As far as my kids go, they LOVE love love the knights helmet. (I never did make the sword because I became totally uninspired by it. So I bought one). Anyhow, those helmets are made of posterboard and took all of 20 minutes to make two. It's always the simple things, isn't it?
I am happy they like them though. They also like the doorway puppet theatre, but we really haven't gotten around to playing with it yet. We'll break it out this weekend.

All in all everything was a success and I'm pleased.

Check in ladies...how'd it go for y'all?

#639 of 650 Old 12-26-2009, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for asking.I am still sick but I was able to enjoy myself.

It went well for me too!My daughter wore her mermaid tail all morning.My sister put on her scarf right away and told me that 2 days earlier she almost bought one just like it but felt like she couldn't justify the purchase.She also really liked the jewelry organizer...once I explained what it was.And her husband wore his tie t-shirt for the rest of the day.The funny thing was he was already wearing a v neck sweater so the tie tshirt looked really funny showing at the top.My mom immediately recognized all the effort I put into her calendar and really liked it too.

I also received homemade presents!My husband and my daughter wrote and performed a song.It was great!My mom painted picture frames.My sister and her husband had a calendar made with pictures or their sweet boy.It was great.

Oh and when my daughter put it together that the velvet heart was "Santa's love"that she asked for she had this amazing realization that Santa always brings love and that love comes in all kinds of ways.

#640 of 650 Old 12-26-2009, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenelopeJune View Post
So???? Did you all give your gifts? How were they received?

I heard nothing but good things about the gifts I gave. Everyone seemed to genuinely appreciate them.

And of all people, my younger stepbrother LOVED the gifts I gave his kids. He was super stoked about everything, and now he's convinced me to go halves with him in our local HUGE craft festival next October, and split the booth fee. He's going to make dollhouses, I'm going to make random-whatever toys. I'm really excited about that, and it gives me something to work towards for the rest of the year.

Having gifts to make for Christmas really gave me a purpose and a goal, and I felt good about myself. For way too long I've just been "mommy," which is awesome, but I need a little something more for myself. My kids are getting a bit older and can play by themselves for long stretches of time, and I need an activity to do that isn't just sitting and reading or watching TV. So getting stuff ready for a craft festival seems the PERFECT solution for me!

Thank you all for the great convos, suggestions, and inspirations for the last month or so. I know it may seem a little silly (or maybe not, to you who understand how this is) but it's been very transformational for me.

to all of you!
This is really great!And I totally understand.In fact I think I'm going to be a little disappointed that my Christmas making is finished with.I'm so glad you're going to keep making.

#641 of 650 Old 12-26-2009, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
DS2 (6 months) loved his bird and elephant cherry wood teethers, and his elf doll, which looks pretty ridiculous but it's cute and good practice for later dolls.

DS1 liked his train table from daddy, first comment he made was joyfully announcing his brother couldn't reach up there. He liked his wooden animals but hasn't stopped to play with them much yet, though the sheep did sit in the driver's seat of his bobcat loader truck thing.

The family liked their fleece scarves a lot, soft and warm and colorful and they thought the cuts were pretty straight. That was an easy and cheap gift for 12 people.

DH loved his shield. He swordfights in the society for creative anachronism and I got him an aluminum tournament shield blank and painted it with his heraldic arms (certain blue and yellow stripes and a stag). He's all excited about adding the handle and edging next.

We didn't finish DS2's booties but we will.

The candy was wonderful. So were the dinners, the Christmas Eve feast with guests was huge and came out perfect, and I didn't drop til it was over. DH stuffed himself, having been on a diet for 2 months it was really something for him to pig out on great food for a couple of days before getting back to it.

My dad got DH a great woodworking book so more homemade things are in store in the future.
#642 of 650 Old 12-26-2009, 02:25 PM

Well- we aren't really done- but my children loved thier gifts! DD loved the mermaid doll and her and DS both adore their barn/doll house bags (that I forgot to give them in the morning!)

I have to finish up the afgan for my mom and make my cousins girls some baby clothes yet- but don't need either of those till January 2.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#643 of 650 Old 12-27-2009, 10:16 AM

I'm glad everything is being loved and enjoyed after all your hard work.

I also want to put a bug in your ear about our swap we are going to do that I'm going to organize. I still need a few weeks, b/c I have my sons birthday and party next week, but then after that we can figure out a good time.
But I wanted to get your wheels turning and then I will pull it over to the swap forum.
I would like to do a round robin if that's okay. One box, with several homemade items that are a suprise. But I would love everyone to list a few things they would love to receive and hopefully when you get the box, there will be one or several of those things. For example, I would love to get a cowl so I will prob. list that as one of my hopes to receive. I think we should limit the number of stuff in the box though. Like maybe three items? So when you get the box, you pull out what you want (even if it's all the items) and then you replace that same number in the box. There is a round robin swap going on right now, you can read all about it and see how its working. I don't really have time to organize this person and this person are swapping this and this. This will be easier and I love the element of surprise. What do you think?
This swap will be for participants on this thread. I'm hoping to keep it somewhat small.

#644 of 650 Old 12-27-2009, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Sounds great!And thanks for your willingness to organize.

#645 of 650 Old 12-30-2009, 09:37 AM

Ladies-next week I will be posting in the swap forum for our swap. But I'd love to get a quick count of how many of you are planning on joining. Please think of a few things you have on your wish list that can be made by other mamas.
Please plan on making three things to go in the box to be sent around and picked out as each person receives the box.

That is all. Thanks.

#646 of 650 Old 12-30-2009, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Me.

#647 of 650 Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 AM

I think I am in! I would love one of those bird or fish teethers... those are so beautiful!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#648 of 650 Old 12-30-2009, 01:00 PM

I would be in!

My dad just got me a home depot gift certificate, so I'm off to buy a bandsaw and dremel.

#649 of 650 Old 12-30-2009, 03:59 PM

Ive been out of town, so I havent been checking in but Im SOOO in for the swap...We need a hand in the air smiley!!!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#650 of 650 Old 01-16-2010, 10:58 AM

I have not forgot about you. Just got super duper busy. I will try organize this in the next week or so. If I can't end up doing it, I will come here and let you know.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page