Mothering Forum banner

Christmas!or any other December(ish)time gift giving celebration!

31K views 649 replies 61 participants last post by  IntuitiveJamie 
#1 ·
This thread over here really got me excited!But since I don't have a big bunch of tuts,patterns or "how tos" to share I thought I'd start a thread over here.

So...Have you started?Are you planning?

I started on one thing and have a few plans.I'm going to make teacup candles for the ladies in my family.Thankfully there is a Good Will by my house that usually has lots of teacups.

As always I'm short on ideas for the fellas.

So what are you all up to or planning?

See less See more
#533 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
You could clean the craft space...but if your like me MEH ain't happening...

I finished the arms...then I took a nap lol...seriously both kids went down today at the same time, I would have been crazy not to

Absolutely crazy not too!

#537 ·
A few years ago I cross stitched Xmas stockings for my DD, DH and I. Then I had DS and have been slowly working on his stocking since he was born. This year I decided that I wanted to finish DS's stocking as he will be 5 next summer! I have been working on it (and other things too) since the summer!

DH's looks like this

http://stitchon.com/shop/index.php?l...t_images&p=566

Well it is almost done it!
I have to stitch a few finishing touches and then sew it together. After Xmas I will post pictures of them.

#538 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
A few years ago I cross stitched Xmas stockings for my DD, DH and I. Then I had DS and have been slowly working on his stocking since he was born. This year I decided that I wanted to finish DS's stocking as he will be 5 next summer! I have been worikng on it (and other things too) since the summer!

DH's looks like this

http://stitchon.com/shop/index.php?l...t_images&p=566

Well it is almost done it!
I have to stitch a few finishing touches and then sew it together. After Xmas I will post a pictures of them.
Holy smokes! That is amazing! I could never attempt something so complicated! Plus I am so not a cross stitcher.

Last night I started making DS2 a color book- it has been so much fun! I am contemplating using up my scraps for quilts for the kids in similiar fashion. But that is a project for long after the holidays. I am making mine with a crazy patch cover, an embriodered first page, and 9 tonal pages. I decided to use all the fancy stitches on my machine with rainbow thread to 'stitch in the ditch' the different pieces. Also- I am not using batting for mine. I will post pictures when I am done.

OH- and DH cut out my rainbow wood stacker for DS2! So now I get to finish up that. I was trying to do a set of 4 elements like at 3 sisters toys- but he said his saw wouldn't work for any other than the rainbow.

#540 ·
I love those rainbow stackers, IO! I bought one for my first babe years ago off of ebay from a woodworker, and it's gotten years of use. I want a BIG one though. When the hurricanes went through FL a few years ago I should have collected some downed oak & had the husband cut them out for me, but alas, it did not happen. I really want to see yours when you're finished!

Kat

#541 ·
I sewed together (by hand) my color book- awesome! And tonight after the kids went to bed DH and I sanded and then I painted the stackers. I used watercolors and while very muted- they look ok. I need to seal them with something else though....

Kat- the huge stacker on 3sister looks so awesome- I should put it on my list...

I cast on for Bella mittens for my grandma- but I think they might really be for me.... gma knits- let her knit her own pair.

#542 ·
WOW!Can't wait to see all the cross stitched stockings.That's quite an accomplishment!

Well yesterday I brought the fabric for my husband's blanket with me to my sister's house so I could get it cut out and pinned together.I forgot to bring the pins.

I did get some ornaments made for my sister(she's never had her own tree before)and I finished the shoes for my 13 yr old friend.They are silly but good.

I really wanted to make my sister a scarf from this cashmere sweater that I had but I can not find it anywhere.
And I'm having a hard time letting it go.I looked at the thrift store for another sweater to use but didn't find one I like.But mainly I think it's because I really just want to use the sweater that I can't find.I need to let it go.But I feel like her present isn't good enough because I didn't make this scarf.I made her some candles(filled little green glass cups),a jewelry organizer and a handful of felt ornaments.What do you think?

#543 ·
That stocking is truly beautiful! Can't wait to see more!

I'm impressed with how y'all are still going strong. I'm crafting pooped out for a little bit. I feel like I got my house decorated and added a few new things. And most gifts are done. I'm going to make a few felt ornaments for random people. I have to mail a few things, but I'm done, (for now). Until you throw something else up here that makes me go crazy for crafting again.
But actually hubby and I are about to decorate our sons room. He's building some new shelves and staining them. I've got to do some baseboard painting in different colors and some chalkboard paint on the wall. We have some things to hang on the walls and I have a lamp base to spray paint and get a new shade for. Also thinking about stamping designs on the shade. So really I still have plenty to do. None of it will be at my craft table though. But will still be creative and fun. Looking forward to it.

#545 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
Thanks guys. They take forever to make so it is nice when people like them.

I figured out how to make an album here so here are DD, DH and my stockings. I finished stitching DS's I just have to sew it together today and then I will post his as well.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hp?albumid=238
WOW!

Here are the silly Son of Svengoolie(a local tv personality who has been dressing up and playing old Zombie movies for the last 30 years)shoes.

#549 ·
Rere-The shoes totally kick butt! Seriously wicked!

ParisApril the stockings are beautiful..I couldn't imagine atempting something like that!!

So I spent half the day stocking stuffer shopping/grocery shopping/xmas shopping and got to work and realized I forgot my knitting! BAH

So happy I make most my gifts and don't have to tackle the malls...shopping today was hard enough!

#553 ·
April-that is amazing. You must have the patience of a saint!!!

I am 3/4 way done with the doll sweater but not happy with it. I finished a 13" doll body for ds' pirate boy doll and just need to do the eyes/mouth/hair. I also bought tons of fabric remnants to make stuffed monsters, doll hair, and sailboat sails.

I'm going to make sailboats from wood as presents (for kids bathtime). Would pine work (if finished with beeswax polish) or should I use poplar or oak? Anyone know? The design I have down, but trying to figure out wood.

I bought the poplar for my 5 yo's waldorf castle blocks I'm making. And my mom lent me her dremel, so while my 5 yo is at her aunt's house this weekend, I have to make a dollhouse, fridge, dress up clothes rack, and castle blocks. And start a hat for her.
They are already planned out, I just have to copy my cardboard patterns to the wood (fridge is copied already), cut it and assemble.

I also have only a week to finish making a wood stable, cubbies, and playstands. I have to return the dremel and scroll saw next weekend!!!

And I have this week to finish a 15" doll for my mom. She wants one. Busy, busy!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.