Christmas!or any other December(ish)time gift giving celebration! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 650 Old 08-03-2009, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokering View Post
Had to giggle at the title... I appreciate the motive of inclusiveness, but you did sorta disqualify half the world's December celebrations. We do Christmas in summer in these-here parts!

I want to make something steampunky and cool for DH, but I have no idea what. And most of my family crafts better than me, so I'm not sure if I dare make them anything. Maybe a basket of vegan Christmas baking for my broke sister?
HA!Ummm yeh...I always forget about that business with the seasons.Partly because the friends I have that live on the other side of the world,live where it's hot and steamy year round.

Ok I changed the title...

Anyway...don't let the "better crafters"stop you.It's not a competition(well,I hope not).It's all about the hand made love!At least that's what I keep telling myself.

#62 of 650 Old 08-03-2009, 10:37 AM

So this weeks, been a wash mostly since I had my little cousin stay with us. But I did work on my dh's blanket. I got 6 squares completed. Which means I only have about 264 to go lol..I really have NO idea how many I'll need to do, but atleast it's an easy project to pick up. I can finish a square a day atleast. It's just hiding them frm dh that's difficult.

My grandma just gave me a ton! Ok maybe not a ton but atleast 6 balls of each of crochet thread in blue and green so I plan on crocheting blue snowflakes to hang in our windows/on presents and green trees/bells for presents...so freebie! Then when I showed her the squares for dh's quilt, out of all of her scrap yarn She told me that she has a ton more scraps

I also found a pattern for a hat for my best friends pug, that I'm going to do in a bright pink fluffy yarn...and the drummer in dh's band requested a pink scarf...preferably bright and fluffy...he'll actually wear it and he's cool enough to pull it off LOL

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#63 of 650 Old 08-03-2009, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
So this weeks, been a wash mostly since I had my little cousin stay with us. But I did work on my dh's blanket. I got 6 squares completed. Which means I only have about 264 to go lol..I really have NO idea how many I'll need to do, but atleast it's an easy project to pick up. I can finish a square a day atleast. It's just hiding them frm dh that's difficult.

My grandma just gave me a ton! Ok maybe not a ton but atleast 6 balls of each of crochet thread in blue and green so I plan on crocheting blue snowflakes to hang in our windows/on presents and green trees/bells for presents...so freebie! Then when I showed her the squares for dh's quilt, out of all of her scrap yarn She told me that she has a ton more scraps

I also found a pattern for a hat for my best friends pug, that I'm going to do in a bright pink fluffy yarn...and the drummer in dh's band requested a pink scarf...preferably bright and fluffy...he'll actually wear it and he's cool enough to pull it off LOL
Nice score on the yarn!And hey,six squares is better than no squares.

Wow not only are you going to make a hat for a pug but there are actually patterns out there for pug hats.That is awesome!

Nap time today was productive for me.The second try on the blanket went much better.

I have a feeling there won't be any after dinner crafting.My hub is off at the record label having a meeting so it's just me getting all the after dinner "other" stuff done.

#64 of 650 Old 08-03-2009, 09:20 PM

it sounds like some of you gals have hip musical significant others! i have so much trouble getting gifts for a man who just wants a 5000 dollar guitar!

Check out my new blog naturalfamilysteading.blogspot.com!
#65 of 650 Old 08-03-2009, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrinaquerida View Post
it sounds like some of you gals have hip musical significant others! i have so much trouble getting gifts for a man who just wants a 5000 dollar guitar!
Oh how I understand that!Only my husband wants a new upright bass.Talk about expensive.It's nice to have dreams.

#66 of 650 Old 08-03-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Oh how I understand that!Only my husband wants a new upright bass.Talk about expensive.It's nice to have dreams.
OH MAN! My dh is a bass player and his dream is to own an upright when people ask us if we're going to have another baby he says "no I'm not buying a bigger car..we'll unless I get a stand up bass"...yup ain't happening! The best gift he's gotten is the birthday I got him 2 tickets to see Victor Wooten for his bday...tickets cost me 50 bucks and he still raves about it...the down fall is that I can't top that gift!

Today I crocheted 2 snowflakes...I need a smaller hook,the snowflakes are coming out to holey.

Here's the pattern for the dog hat...it's a total laugh

http://sarahmai.wordpress.com/tonks-doggy-hat/

#67 of 650 Old 08-04-2009, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OH MAN! My dh is a bass player and his dream is to own an upright when people ask us if we're going to have another baby he says "no I'm not buying a bigger car..we'll unless I get a stand up bass"...yup ain't happening! The best gift he's gotten is the birthday I got him 2 tickets to see Victor Wooten for his bday...tickets cost me 50 bucks and he still raves about it...the down fall is that I can't top that gift!

Today I crocheted 2 snowflakes...I need a smaller hook,the snowflakes are coming out to holey.

Here's the pattern for the dog hat...it's a total laugh

http://sarahmai.wordpress.com/tonks-doggy-hat/
HA!My husband is the one who drives a minivan to hold all the music equipment.Although we used to fit the upright bass in a vw golf.That was an great car!

Uhg!I topped out on the gifts for him yrs ago!The thing is we've been together so long(20 yrs)that I've run out of ideas.Well that and all he really wants is very expensive music stuff.It's not like he expects to get a new bass or anything else like that it's just that he's not really interested in other stuff.Oh and to top it off he is extremely particular.

The dog hat is hilarious!

#68 of 650 Old 08-04-2009, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Ok.I'm coming back to beg for ideas.My husband will be playing in Portugal this weekend so it would be the perfect time to work on a gift for him.I'm just hitting a wall.I was trying to think of something to make his traveling a little easier but I can't imagine what.He's a pretty light traveler.He will spend most of next yr on a tour bus but I can't think of anything to make that more pleasant(well,nothing that I could make).

I was also thinking about something involving our daughter and the only outside place he enjoys.We like to take a walk in the forest preserves by our house and it seems to be a very special place for him but I can't figure out how to turn that into a present.Maybe a picture?A shadow box with a pic and some things from the forest?

Uhg!He drives me nuts!He really wants me to knit him stuff but..uh..I don't see that happening in time for Christmas(if ever).

#69 of 650 Old 08-04-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Ok.I'm coming back to beg for ideas.My husband will be playing in Portugal this weekend so it would be the perfect time to work on a gift for him.I'm just hitting a wall.I was trying to think of something to make his traveling a little easier but I can't imagine what.He's a pretty light traveler.He will spend most of next yr on a tour bus but I can't think of anything to make that more pleasant(well,nothing that I could make).

I was also thinking about something involving our daughter and the only outside place he enjoys.We like to take a walk in the forest preserves by our house and it seems to be a very special place for him but I can't figure out how to turn that into a present.Maybe a picture?A shadow box with a pic and some things from the forest?

Uhg!He drives me nuts!He really wants me to knit him stuff but..uh..I don't see that happening in time for Christmas(if ever).
Ok so this might be TOTALLY lame..but if he's stuck on a tour bus the only things I can think of would be one of those pillows that turn into a blanket BUT why not scan a picture of your dd onto the pillow part, have her draw a picture on the blanket, maybe her foot prints/hand prints/have her write why she loves her daddy ect(in fabric markers of course)...all kinds of cool stuff like that. So it would be like a practical picture frame. Cause god knows there ain't much room on a tour bus once you get all the smelly men onto it

I asked dh what he would want while on tour and he answered booze...so thats not really helpful. He then answered food..which makes sense b/c we're vegetarian mostly vegan and it's hard getting food on the road...so my dh's suggestions don't help AT ALL! lol

#70 of 650 Old 08-05-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok so this might be TOTALLY lame..but if he's stuck on a tour bus the only things I can think of would be one of those pillows that turn into a blanket BUT why not scan a picture of your dd onto the pillow part, have her draw a picture on the blanket, maybe her foot prints/hand prints/have her write why she loves her daddy ect(in fabric markers of course)...all kinds of cool stuff like that. So it would be like a practical picture frame. Cause god knows there ain't much room on a tour bus once you get all the smelly men onto it

I asked dh what he would want while on tour and he answered booze...so thats not really helpful. He then answered food..which makes sense b/c we're vegetarian mostly vegan and it's hard getting food on the road...so my dh's suggestions don't help AT ALL! lol
Dang!My husband has been over my shoulder ever since I wrote that post.He finally left the house so now I can come back here to thank you for your effort.I really appreciate it.I like the blanket/pillow idea I'm just trying to figure out if he would think it was more helpful or not.I'm going to try and find out.

Fortunately the tour he will be on next year is one where they can request food to be ready for them at the venues.Although the food can be a rough situation and there is only a little tiny fridge on the bus.And there is no lacking for booze.That always seems to be supplied.

I was able to get another present finished though.I made a pillow to hold remotes for my BIL.They don't really have a place for them and they're always falling all over the place so...

#71 of 650 Old 08-08-2009, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Well,I haven't made anything in the last few days.But today I think I'm going to try and fuse some plastic bags to make a wallet out of.However that means I have to find my kitchen counter first.

#72 of 650 Old 08-09-2009, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Well,my plastic bag fusing didn't go so well.I can't decide if I will give it another try or go another route for the wallet making.Hmmm?

I did find my kitchen counter and made a super hero cape for my daughter's favorite snuggle.Nothing Christmas related though.

#73 of 650 Old 08-09-2009, 08:39 PM

I finished a cute little cupcake hat for my niece- and I have started knitting a hemlock ring afgan for my mom. I hope to get a chance sometime soon to put all my 09 gifts in a flickr album- but not motivated to do that right now.

Oh! And I finished monkey socks for my gma!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#74 of 650 Old 08-09-2009, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
I finished a cute little cupcake hat for my niece- and I have started knitting a hemlock ring afgan for my mom. I hope to get a chance sometime soon to put all my 09 gifts in a flickr album- but not motivated to do that right now.

Oh! And I finished monkey socks for my gma!
Wow a cup cake hat sounds really cute!

What are monkey socks?

#75 of 650 Old 08-09-2009, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Well,I gave the plastic fusing another try.It worked and I made wallets but I'm not sure how I feel about them.I'm thinking about making the wallet out of an album cover.Not sure though.

#76 of 650 Old 08-10-2009, 08:43 AM

I haven't made too much lately. I do have my aunt's fingerless gloves on the needles, and got quite a bit done yest. while dh had a friend from his band over...we dropped house stuff and sat at the kitchen table and I knitted the whole visit...I'm going to have to have him over more so I actually SIT....I was wondering how I got all this knitting done last year for the holidays then I remembered I was on bedrest and couldn't do anything else

#77 of 650 Old 08-10-2009, 11:20 AM

Here is the pattern for the monkey socks- they look way way harder than they actually are. I used 1 1/2 needles and a self striping yarn that I actually gave to the same gma for Christmas last year when she wanted to knit socks- but the stitches were to tiny for her to see and she gave it back to me. If funds allow I want to buy her a bag of red wool or alpaca for her to knit herself an afgan with.

http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTmonkey.html

Here is the cupcake hat pattern- But there are a few when I googled it that are super cute and actually look like cupcakes! I might have to knit here another one to go with! The one I knit is a purple/yellow/teal/red varigated to go with a little red coat I gave her- I still want to make some cute little baby mittens to go with!

http://slumberland.org/patterns/cupcake-hat.pdf

I am curious to see these wallets- post a link?

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#78 of 650 Old 08-10-2009, 11:23 AM

Oh- I talked to one of my sisters yesterday and was lamenting how many cucumbers I have in my garden and she asked me to make her pickles for Christmas- so the tea pot cozy is now pushed to the back of my list and will be a suppliment if my canning goes array. 6 quarts of homemade pickles should be good right? And I decided to give both of my bils 6 quarts of something as well. Ask and you shall recieve I like to think!

#79 of 650 Old 08-10-2009, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh- I talked to one of my sisters yesterday and was lamenting how many cucumbers I have in my garden and she asked me to make her pickles for Christmas- so the tea pot cozy is now pushed to the back of my list and will be a suppliment if my canning goes array. 6 quarts of homemade pickles should be good right? And I decided to give both of my bils 6 quarts of something as well. Ask and you shall recieve I like to think!
HA!I gave my sister homemade pickles last year for Christmas.But not 6 quarts!Actually they were part of her "pregnancy pack"that also included a belly band and a rice bag for labor.

The knit stuff is so cute!

Ok.I'll work on wallet picks.

#80 of 650 Old 08-10-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Ok here is one of the wallets.The other one is almost the same but I zigzagged all the way around the edges.

#81 of 650 Old 08-10-2009, 11:55 AM

cool!

#82 of 650 Old 08-10-2009, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The past 3 years I've made homemade gifts of soaps and foods and ornaments and things and gotten poor responses. Sort of "Wow this is great! So where's my real present?" And that's from adults (parents, aunts, cousins). I'm thinking of giving up and buying them cheap stuff, it's not like I'm saving anything once materials are accounted for. Still will be serving them an excellent Christmas Eve feast all homemade though of course.
#83 of 650 Old 08-10-2009, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
The past 3 years I've made homemade gifts of soaps and foods and ornaments and things and gotten poor responses. Sort of "Wow this is great! So where's my real present?" And that's from adults (parents, aunts, cousins). I'm thinking of giving up and buying them cheap stuff, it's not like I'm saving anything once materials are accounted for. Still will be serving them an excellent Christmas Eve feast all homemade though of course.
Oh,that's so sad and disappointing.My first reaction is to say"don't give in.Keep making!"But it's so sad to make something and get that reaction.So I could see why you would just buy them some cheap stuff.Maybe you could buy them all charity donations?Because to me if people don't appreciate the effort you made they really don't even deserve cheap stuff.But I'm passionate about the hand made.And I've decided to take Christmas back.Simple thoughtful gifts for all(including my daughter).

#84 of 650 Old 08-10-2009, 04:34 PM

That totally sucks and yet I sometimes get the same response. My MIL thinks taht handmade=cheapskate and that is just so not true. Even if you don't count your time- I often have as much in to a gift in supplies as I would if I bought them something. I would personally love a handmade gift- something that shows that someone put in more thought than just picking something off a rack. Not saying that I don't appreciate gifts- but you know what I'm saying. Oh well. The other thing is that it is just so hard to find a good gift for someone who either has everything or could easily buy themself what they need/want.

#85 of 650 Old 08-10-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
That totally sucks and yet I sometimes get the same response. My MIL thinks taht handmade=cheapskate and that is just so not true. Even if you don't count your time- I often have as much in to a gift in supplies as I would if I bought them something. I would personally love a handmade gift- something that shows that someone put in more thought than just picking something off a rack. Not saying that I don't appreciate gifts- but you know what I'm saying. Oh well. The other thing is that it is just so hard to find a good gift for someone who either has everything or could easily buy themself what they need/want.
:

I hate gifts that are just bought for the sake of buying a gift! I get them WAY to often! Last year was the worse. My uncle made me feel great about the homemade gifts when I made him a basket of dried chilis/onions/garlic from the garden/store bought hot sauces/hot peppers/veggies/wasabi peas all kinds of spicy stuff he doesn't normally get b/c my aunts not a fan...he didn't want to open the bag and was so happy and he constantly says its the most thoughtful gift he's gotten. I plan on making him a small basket of the same kinda stuff this year and something else to surprise him

Dh's bandmate made his xmas request..a dressy vest in blue shades so I think I'm going to do a simple pull over dress vest with a dark blue ribbed bottom, dark blue "sleeve" holes dark blue v neck and a multi color blue/grey as the main color..if i ever get to it lol

#86 of 650 Old 08-10-2009, 09:31 PM

I haven't read the whole thread, but throught I'd mention:

I'm textile-challenged, and don't do anything made with fabric. Actually, I don't do very many homemade gifts at all. However, someone mentioned lacking ideas for the men.

It doesn't work for every family, naturally (lots of beer drinkers in mine), but I've had rave reviews for beer glass candles...beer glass filled with beer-coloured wax (can vary, of course, depending on style). Then, whip white wax with an egg beater and pile up around the wick, for foam/head...and maybe spill a little down the side, as if it's dripping. I've given out...7 of them, I think, and they've all been hits.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#87 of 650 Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 PM

Definitely reading this thread for ideas!

My neices love my hommade gift bags (sewn from towels from the $1 store) more than what's in them usually.

How doid you fuse the plastic to make the wallets?

If you don't like them you might be able to rustle up some juice pouches from a local elementary school.....
#88 of 650 Old 08-10-2009, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post

How doid you fuse the plastic to make the wallets?
I used this tut.

#89 of 650 Old 08-10-2009, 11:52 PM

thank you!!!
#90 of 650 Old 08-13-2009, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Ok taking a little Christmas making break to work on dolls for this project.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page