Christmas!or any other December(ish)time gift giving celebration! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 650 Old 08-30-2009, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerCoasterMama View Post
My son will be three shortly after Christmas, so his projects have to be simple! But each year so far, we've done a tree ornament with him for relatives (and I've saved one each year for him to have as a set when he gets he's got his own tree).

Year 1: we dipped his little hands in red and green paint and used him like a human stamp. Scanned the painting into the computer, shrunk it, and printed it on iron-on transfer fabric. Then I sort of made little pillows with cute Christmas fabric on the back and a loop for the tree.

Year 2: Salt dough ornaments. Ok, I helped a lot, but we worked on it together.

Year 3: I haven't decided yet what we'll do this year! I'll have to start thinking about it soon! I'm trying to think of sturdy things that look nice, if a little primative style, on the tree.

For our gifts to everyone, I just got it started...I split a pound of organic vanilla beans in a co-op this year and am going to do a vanilla themed goodie basket. I just got the vanilla extract started. Will get the vanilla sugar going this weekend.

For my grandpa who doesn't cook (and maybe my bachelor brother) I'm planning to put aside an assortment of jars from the goodies I'm canning this summer. It's the first time I've canned so we're having fun expirimenting with produce from the farmer's market. We should have a nice variety to choose from.
Really nice ideas!

#122 of 650 Old 08-31-2009, 11:26 AM

So I'm having to re-do my entire list it seems! People have made gift requests and b/c of time I'm not going to get certain gifts finished! BAH

Ds seems to be the most demanding LOL..He's decided that santa is bringing him and dd and dh and me knitted socks, and we're hearing about it EVERYDAY so I intended on knitting the kids with leftover yarn from the adult socks I'm knitting but now he's also requesting THIS...http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/fe...terdoll..which would use up all my ends!

I showed dh who thinks it's the greatest...so hopefully he'll help me knit it up..

So my CURRENT list is:
dh-knit socks...then who knows what!
ds-knit socks/knit harry potter doll()....
dd-knit socks/knit shrug-http://www.allaboutyou.com/craft/Knitting-pattern-baby-shrug/v1....
grandma-knit socks(on the needles)-dh is recording a piano cd for her as well
dad/gf-jean quilt-just need to bind
gf's kid???
m-i-l/f-i-l gift together-dh recording cd
f-i-l-knit socks..if I ever start them!
m-i-l santa something
b-i-l-????
s-i-l-socks one done other on needle
aunt-fingerless gloves-on needles
uncle?-canned hot peppers...
cousin?-possible jean scrap quilt(H'es got a single bed so it would sew up
fairly quickly)
Best friend-shawl or scarf
Best friends dog-hat
Guys on list-flavored booze

Then there's other people...who I have NO idea..I think I need to get a calender out and write what project I need to work on each week!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#123 of 650 Old 08-31-2009, 05:43 PM

If anyone is still struggling for ideas, this is sure to get your cogs whirring. Here

Every thing on the list (Eco-concious, grandparents, new parents, etc) has a few ideas. I spent each nap time today browsing away and neglected to clean my kitchen.
#124 of 650 Old 09-01-2009, 03:20 PM

Well- for the last week I have been slacking on the crafting. My only chance has been in the car when Dh is driving. So I turned over a new leaf yesterday. I am getting up much earlier and I am so much more productive early in the morning! I almost have one of my barn bags done (well the outside is done- I just need to finish the lining)- it is so awesome- will post a pic once they are both done. I think I will make DD a doll house type bag as well- or maybe something totally different- we will see.

I am about halfway on my hemlock ring afgan for my mom. But I think it is going on the back burner for knitting socks and mittens- it got down the 39 on monday morning! :

As soon as I finish the barns I am ordering the doll kit for DD's doll. This is my motivation I guess to finish- I love love love doll making!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#125 of 650 Old 09-01-2009, 06:27 PM

I finished the first sock for my grandma last night, it came out wonderful..so know I'm back to finishing the second one for my sister-in-law...It'll feel nice to finish a pair...I'm going to have to look into knitting two at a time on a big circular...I'm hoping to get some socks done for the kids..if dh can remember where he put my new needles:

#126 of 650 Old 09-09-2009, 11:05 AM

How's everyone doing...I'm guessing with the fall crazyness everyone slowed down? I'm still knitting socks..seems like they may never stop! I'm also knitting for a few bday gifts so that's taken me away from holiday knittting...I think i may have to put a xmas movie on or some music to get me in the mood to finish some projects

#127 of 650 Old 09-09-2009, 11:56 AM

A Christmas movie and some knitting sounds nice.

I thinking about making blankets for my parents' living room since they just remodeled. They've been tellling me to wait until they finish, so it's time.

I'm trying to make my first pair of socks for my sister. We'll see what happens, as I've can't get them onto the needles.

I'm also working on a birthday gift for a different sister.

Mostly, I just have birthday gifts to do for the holidays since my family draws names. Then, I'm only responsible for one person and my husband for another.
#128 of 650 Old 09-09-2009, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
How's everyone doing...I'm guessing with the fall crazyness everyone slowed down? I'm still knitting socks..seems like they may never stop! I'm also knitting for a few bday gifts so that's taken me away from holiday knittting...I think i may have to put a xmas movie on or some music to get me in the mood to finish some projects
I was just coming over here to ask how everyone was doing.I've definitely lost steam.We had a tuff week or so.Good friends are moving to another state.My daughter doesn't remember life without the 3 yr old.He has been coming to our house a couple days a week to hang out while his parents worked,for most of his life.It's been very hard on my daughter so that has sort of taken a lot of my energy lately.I'm trying to motivate myself to get going again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zech13_9_goforgold View Post
A Christmas movie and some knitting sounds nice.

I thinking about making blankets for my parents' living room since they just remodeled. They've been tellling me to wait until they finish, so it's time.

I'm trying to make my first pair of socks for my sister. We'll see what happens, as I've can't get them onto the needles.

I'm also working on a birthday gift for a different sister.

Mostly, I just have birthday gifts to do for the holidays since my family draws names. Then, I'm only responsible for one person and my husband for another.
Drawing names always sounds so nice.

Ok...off to see if I can get something going.

#129 of 650 Old 09-11-2009, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Well,my last attempt to make something Christmas did not go well.I tried to make a cloth ball but the shape was not right.Although it would make a cute puffy chair for a doll.Hmmm?I'll have to see if I can make a present around that.

I think I need to set some sort of goal for this weekend because I am not motivated.Well, actually I'm sort of at a point where I don't know what to make.That and the self doubt has started to creep in.Do any of you experience this?I'm starting to think it's all crap and I should just stop this nonsense.Ahhhh...help me.

#130 of 650 Old 09-11-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Well,my last attempt to make something Christmas did not go well.I tried to make a cloth ball but the shape was not right.Although it would make a cute puffy chair for a doll.Hmmm?I'll have to see if I can make a present around that.

I think I need to set some sort of goal for this weekend because I am not motivated.Well, actually I'm sort of at a point where I don't know what to make.That and the self doubt has started to creep in.Do any of you experience this?I'm starting to think it's all crap and I should just stop this nonsense.Ahhhh...help me.

: I've got that too Lets motivate each other! I just keep telling myself that big business isn't getting me this holiday!...But its getting hard to p/up the needles...

My goal for this weekend is to finish my s-i-l's socks!

#131 of 650 Old 09-11-2009, 01:24 PM

I have been working on gifts.... See if this motivates you.....

My DD's doll house bag
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24745581@N07/3909921542/

Barn bags for both of my boys
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24745581@N07/3909134009/

Hats for my sisters and DD
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24745581@N07/3909136029/

And today I recieve my DRD kits for DD and DS2. I can not wait to get cracking on those! They are like sewing crack.

Oh- I took a break from Chrismas knitting to make a hat and mittens for DS2. They are so cute! Next up in a winter hat for DS1 Then socks for DH.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#132 of 650 Old 09-11-2009, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
: I've got that too Lets motivate each other! I just keep telling myself that big business isn't getting me this holiday!...But its getting hard to p/up the needles...

My goal for this weekend is to finish my s-i-l's socks!
Uhg.Sorry you're feeling it too."No big business".That will be my mantra.

The thing is when I hear about everyone else's projects I truly believe they are lovely gifts.In the beginning I even think what I'm making is a nice gift but then the doubt sets in.Why?

I'm going to push through though.I will keep making!I don't have a goal for the weekend yet but that's because it depends what I find at the thrift store.I would like to get to work on a mermaid tail for my daughter but I have to try to find something to make it out of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
I have been working on gifts.... See if this motivates you.....

My DD's doll house bag
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24745581@N07/3909921542/

Barn bags for both of my boys
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24745581@N07/3909134009/

Hats for my sisters and DD
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24745581@N07/3909136029/

And today I recieve my DRD kits for DD and DS2. I can not wait to get cracking on those! They are like sewing crack.

Oh- I took a break from Chrismas knitting to make a hat and mittens for DS2. They are so cute! Next up in a winter hat for DS1 Then socks for DH.
Great stuff!I love the bags!

#133 of 650 Old 09-11-2009, 11:29 PM

You can do it Rere! I knitted all the way to ds's apts, and a couple rows when I got home from work..I'm going to try and do more tomorro and knit on sunday on the way to the vegetarian festival...we'll see

Those bags are ADORABLE iowaorganic! Are you sewing animals for them or are they going to be actual "travel" bags...dh thinks the farm is really sweet...telling metomake one for ds, like his list isn't getting big enough already

#134 of 650 Old 09-11-2009, 11:45 PM

Thanks!

I am going to hopefully needle felt animals for DS2 and DS1 is more about the tractor and implement line than animals. Where ever we go DS1 has to take all his little tractors and implements and it is a huge pain trying to find something for all of them- so I hope he puts them in this bag! But if they want to use them for overnight bags as well- that is cool too.

I hate big box- but the good folks at ertl will be getting our business this year though......

see the thing is- I would love to recieve a handmade gift- or heck one that required more effort than running to the mall and picking out the 'it' gift. I mean I appreciate the 'it' gift- but some personal attention would just be so awesome. Maybe it is intimidating giving handmade to a crafter- but we are the ones who appreciate it the most! Also- something I am working on this year is special packaging. Because if you just wrap up a pair of socks in just paper they are just socks. But block them and package in a box with tissue and a pretty ribbon- just so much more impressive. Of course you have to find a box and I use my huge stash of recycled tissue but you get the idea!

#135 of 650 Old 09-11-2009, 11:53 PM

Ok, I'm a late-comer to this thread. I posted elsewhere that I was fortunate enough to get all the adults in the extended family to agree NOT to exchange gifts this year. No one really appreciated all the effort that went into my homemade gifts anyway. So I'm only going to make a few gifts this year.

DS: Giant knitted snake (in progress)
knitted farm play may

DH: skull and cross bones knitted hat and matching hand-warmers

Sister: Crochet lemming (I always make her some sort of silly gag-gift )

Donation: Misc. hats, mittens, and socks for orphans (Basically whatever I have time to make with my stash of yarn. I'm afraid it won't be much this year, since I'm teaching a heavy load and also working on a book.)

Thanks it.
#136 of 650 Old 09-12-2009, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You can do it Rere! I knitted all the way to ds's apts, and a couple rows when I got home from work..I'm going to try and do more tomorro and knit on sunday on the way to the vegetarian festival...we'll see
Good for you!and thank you!

Yesterday we went to the zoo but I did finally finish up my friend's bracelet.Today I'm going to my mom's and I will somehow secretly measure her chairs so I know how big the cushions should be(I'll probably just use my butt).Then I will go to the thrift store and see what materials I can find.I also have 40%off coupons to 2 different craft stores so I'll go and get a t-shirt for my husband's uncle at one and either needles or fabric at the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post

see the thing is- I would love to recieve a handmade gift- or heck one that required more effort than running to the mall and picking out the 'it' gift. I mean I appreciate the 'it' gift- but some personal attention would just be so awesome. Maybe it is intimidating giving handmade to a crafter- but we are the ones who appreciate it the most! Also- something I am working on this year is special packaging. Because if you just wrap up a pair of socks in just paper they are just socks. But block them and package in a box with tissue and a pretty ribbon- just so much more impressive. Of course you have to find a box and I use my huge stash of recycled tissue but you get the idea!
We are the ones who appreciate it most!

I've been thinking about the wrapping too.I'm trying to come up with some cute packaging idea for the teacup candles.My mom really has it down when it comes to presentation.She makes things from the herbs in her garden and then puts them in great baskets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Ok, I'm a late-comer to this thread. I posted elsewhere that I was fortunate enough to get all the adults in the extended family to agree NOT to exchange gifts this year. No one really appreciated all the effort that went into my homemade gifts anyway. So I'm only going to make a few gifts this year.

DS: Giant knitted snake (in progress)
knitted farm play may

DH: skull and cross bones knitted hat and matching hand-warmers

Sister: Crochet lemming (I always make her some sort of silly gag-gift )

Donation: Misc. hats, mittens, and socks for orphans (Basically whatever I have time to make with my stash of yarn. I'm afraid it won't be much this year, since I'm teaching a heavy load and also working on a book.)

Thanks it.
Come on in!You're not late!

Nice list!I hope we get to see the knitted goods when your finished.

#137 of 650 Old 09-12-2009, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

I have a question for those of you who make stuff for your kids.Do they know it's you or do they think that stuff comes from Santa?

#138 of 650 Old 09-13-2009, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Well,I was out most of the day yesterday.My mom gave me a dress that I will be able to cut up and use on her cushions.Is it wrong to use her own stuff for her gifts?

I didn't find anything at the thrift store.Well...nothing for making Christmas presents.So I bought some fabric at the craft store but forgot to get some needles.I did get a t-shirt for my husband's uncle.I will get it washed this morning so hopefully I can stencil it later today.

caiesmommy,

Hope you have fun at the veggie fest!:

#139 of 650 Old 09-13-2009, 10:05 AM

Thanks Rere!
I was out most of the day as well...my cousin had his 16th bday at Hooters So I didn't get much done, but I got some! Now it's knitting all the way to VEG FEST! Can't wait...Hoping to do a bit of holiday "idea shopping" while there lol...I'm sure the gifts are way out of my price league since well I'm at a ZERO lol!

I think it's GREAT to use your mom's old dress to make her a gift! She obviously liked the dress if she bought it/wore it! It shows how fun it is to re-purpose things! I think that's a wicked idea!...

So I got to see my Grandma yestthe plus of dinner at Hooters) and she surprised me with 3 balls of yarn for the Harry Potter doll ds wants! so now I don't have to buy ANY! And I've got stuffing..so now it's just knitting it!..Which I'm hoping to start after this pair of socks..I need a break from socks!

I also decided to just sew dd a simple rag doll instead of a topsy-turvy...I'd rather wait until she's older to make her such a cool doll like a topsy turvy But I am planning on making the doll's dress out of an old nightgown of hers thats stained all down the front *really* badly..there should be enough back fabric to make the dress...pretty excited

#140 of 650 Old 09-13-2009, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks Rere!
I was out most of the day as well...my cousin had his 16th bday at Hooters So I didn't get much done, but I got some! Now it's knitting all the way to VEG FEST! Can't wait...Hoping to do a bit of holiday "idea shopping" while there lol...I'm sure the gifts are way out of my price league since well I'm at a ZERO lol!

I think it's GREAT to use your mom's old dress to make her a gift! She obviously liked the dress if she bought it/wore it! It shows how fun it is to re-purpose things! I think that's a wicked idea!...

So I got to see my Grandma yestthe plus of dinner at Hooters) and she surprised me with 3 balls of yarn for the Harry Potter doll ds wants! so now I don't have to buy ANY! And I've got stuffing..so now it's just knitting it!..Which I'm hoping to start after this pair of socks..I need a break from socks!

I also decided to just sew dd a simple rag doll instead of a topsy-turvy...I'd rather wait until she's older to make her such a cool doll like a topsy turvy But I am planning on making the doll's dress out of an old nightgown of hers thats stained all down the front *really* badly..there should be enough back fabric to make the dress...pretty excited
Really?Hooters?It must be because he likes the wings.

I hear you on the zero budget.The Renegade Craft Fair is in town this weekend but I'm not going because there will be too much stuff that I want to buy.

The dress from my mom is one she really liked.She recently lost a bunch of weight and now it's too big.As happy as she is with herself for loosing weight she's sad to see some of her favorite clothes go.

Your grandma sounds great!

#141 of 650 Old 09-13-2009, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

Ok,so..I finished another heat up rice bag.My daughter went to the beach with my mom and I almost finished her mermaid tail.Maybe I can get it finished after she goes to bed.

#142 of 650 Old 09-13-2009, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Finished the mermaid tail!:

#143 of 650 Old 09-14-2009, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm finally getting my act together and thinking about starting on the candles I plan to make for extended family this year. I was wondering if anyone has a favorite candle-making supplier? This will be my first time making candles, and I'm really excited! But I'm also clueless. I've got a book on hold at the library, and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I've been following this thread since it started...you're all very inspiring!
#144 of 650 Old 09-14-2009, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post
I'm finally getting my act together and thinking about starting on the candles I plan to make for extended family this year. I was wondering if anyone has a favorite candle-making supplier? This will be my first time making candles, and I'm really excited! But I'm also clueless. I've got a book on hold at the library, and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I've been following this thread since it started...you're all very inspiring!
I'm no expert and only did it the one time...

The stuff I used was a hand me down but I noticed the same supplies at Joanns(I know there is fancier stuff out there but I was going for what I had).I used a tin can(I didn't want to be scraping wax out of one of my pots)and a pot as a double boiler.I used the wicks with the little disc at the bottom(I'm sure there is a name for them).I cut up the wax,melted it and poured it into my teacups.That's it(Oh,you do need to let them cool and then top them off because there will be a big crater.Although I kind of liked the look of the crater).It was fun!Next I think I'm going to try reusing some of the candles I have to make new ones for my sister.I think it should work just as well.

#145 of 650 Old 09-14-2009, 10:21 AM

So I didn't accomplish my goal of finishing the socks BUT I'm that much closer. I saw a thread for a homemade train table in the toy forum and dh and I have decided to make that for ds instead of a few small things...ds already has the train set and we're thinking we can make the table with scenes ect for less then 50...Im hoping less then 30. And it's seeming like it will be ALOT less work then knitting the harry potter doll...lol

#146 of 650 Old 09-14-2009, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm no expert and only did it the one time...

The stuff I used was a hand me down but I noticed the same supplies at Joanns(I know there is fancier stuff out there but I was going for what I had).I used a tin can(I didn't want to be scraping wax out of one of my pots)and a pot as a double boiler.I used the wicks with the little disc at the bottom(I'm sure there is a name for them).I cut up the wax,melted it and poured it into my teacups.That's it(Oh,you do need to let them cool and then top them off because there will be a big crater.Although I kind of liked the look of the crater).It was fun!Next I think I'm going to try reusing some of the candles I have to make new ones for my sister.I think it should work just as well.
Cool, thanks! Good to hear that it was fun and easy for a beginner!
#147 of 650 Old 09-14-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Come on in!You're not late!

Nice list!I hope we get to see the knitted goods when your finished.
Well, usually by this time of year, I have everything done or nearly done. But I started a crafting business, so that stuff has taken priority. I'll be sure to post some pics on my flikr when I'm done. I can't wait to see how everyone else's projects turn out too!
#148 of 650 Old 09-15-2009, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So I didn't accomplish my goal of finishing the socks BUT I'm that much closer. I saw a thread for a homemade train table in the toy forum and dh and I have decided to make that for ds instead of a few small things...ds already has the train set and we're thinking we can make the table with scenes ect for less then 50...Im hoping less then 30. And it's seeming like it will be ALOT less work then knitting the harry potter doll...lol
Well,even if you didn't finish your goal I'm glad to hear you're still going.The train table sounds great!The kids I took care of had one and they used it for everything.They barely used it for trains but they played at it all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post
Cool, thanks! Good to hear that it was fun and easy for a beginner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
Well, usually by this time of year, I have everything done or nearly done. But I started a crafting business, so that stuff has taken priority. I'll be sure to post some pics on my flikr when I'm done. I can't wait to see how everyone else's projects turn out too!
Wow!Every year.I'm definitely going to try for this early every year from now on.Although my mom and her friend,who also make gifts,were joking with me and said they weren't going to accept any gifts from me because by the time Christmas came the gifts would be dusty and expired.

#149 of 650 Old 09-17-2009, 01:09 PM

So I went second hand shoppingtoday and found the yarn for my best friends dogs hat LOL..so now I can start it anytime...but I just don't feel like it LOL

I've taken the last few days off to harvest some...and that's been way too much work so I am excited to sit and knit! AND I've got a drs. apt on Fri so I get to be ALONE!!!! wooohooo knitting w/out little ones grabbing the yarn! HEAVEN

#150 of 650 Old 09-18-2009, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

As soon as the bread is done baking I'm off to try to make nap time productive.And yes,I am posting this to try and make myself stick to it.Instead of just eating half a loaf of hot bread and then snuggling in my daughter's bead.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page