Christmas!or any other December(ish)time gift giving celebration! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#181 of 650 Old 09-26-2009, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
 
rere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well,instead of getting started on the bag for my MIL,I made a teapot cozy for my stepfather.Now I'm waiting for the stenciled t-shirt to dry a little more before I decide if it needs another coat of paint.

rere is offline  
#182 of 650 Old 09-26-2009, 10:43 PM
 
caiesmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I washed the panels for the kids growth charts. But realized I need thread..so have to make a store trip

I started ds's quiet book and have a page almost done! It's a tree w removable apples, using snap buttons. I just need to make a "basket" on the page to put the apples in. I even added a tree swing hanging from the tree...SUPER CUTE! I think it's going to be a quicker project...I'm going to need a bit more felt so again store trip

Planning on
-a house page that he opens the front door and it's the fam pic we're getting done in Nov.
-a peek-a-boo page where he moves mittens and it's a picture of himself
-a little boy to dress up-w raincoat/boots/umbrella/shorts/pants/shirts
-a shoe with a shoe lace to tie
Then I'm not sure..but I am TOTALLY excited about it!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
caiesmommy is offline  
#183 of 650 Old 09-27-2009, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
 
rere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
So I washed the panels for the kids growth charts. But realized I need thread..so have to make a store trip

I started ds's quiet book and have a page almost done! It's a tree w removable apples, using snap buttons. I just need to make a "basket" on the page to put the apples in. I even added a tree swing hanging from the tree...SUPER CUTE! I think it's going to be a quicker project...I'm going to need a bit more felt so again store trip

Planning on
-a house page that he opens the front door and it's the fam pic we're getting done in Nov.
-a peek-a-boo page where he moves mittens and it's a picture of himself
-a little boy to dress up-w raincoat/boots/umbrella/shorts/pants/shirts
-a shoe with a shoe lace to tie
Then I'm not sure..but I am TOTALLY excited about it!
Uhg,running out of thread is the worst.Especially when I'm all excited and have the time to sew.

The quiet book sounds really cute and I'm glad you have a project that you're excited about!

rere is offline  
#184 of 650 Old 09-27-2009, 11:16 AM
 
caiesmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I decided to piece together one of the panel growth charts with an off color thread, then I'll get white when I plan on putting the binding on. It was alot more work then I thought, the panel was super thin so I had to put back fabric on the panel, then batting then the backing fabric BUT one is almost finished..just binding now! And since I did the one I'm sure the next one will go faster. And since dd was so happy in her new exersaucer(inlaws SPOIL HER) I sewed up ds thomas stocking...so now just a bit of trim around the top and it's done

I also found an ornament kit I bought last year for small felt ornaments so I'm going to see if I can get those sewn up for bows...we'll see though

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
caiesmommy is offline  
#185 of 650 Old 09-27-2009, 01:30 PM
 
beansricerevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
traded some of my pieces with other crafty moms and can check off the clutch for my SIL as well as altered crochet hooks for my MIL and homemade liqueurs for dh! Ive been sick all week with pink eye and im afraid to do any of these projects. Im highly contagious!
beansricerevolt is offline  
#186 of 650 Old 09-27-2009, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
 
rere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
traded some of my pieces with other crafty moms and can check off the clutch for my SIL as well as altered crochet hooks for my MIL and homemade liqueurs for dh! Ive been sick all week with pink eye and im afraid to do any of these projects. Im highly contagious!
Eeew pink eye.I hope it hasn't got your whole family.Sorry to hear about that but so nice that you were able to do some swapping.I was just thinking about swapping this morning.


The bag for my MIL is trying to finish me off.I decided I needed to take some space away from it but really I want to work on it some more.I know if I do,I will mess it up so I'm trying to force myself to leave it alone for now.

rere is offline  
#187 of 650 Old 09-28-2009, 12:32 PM
 
iowaorganic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well- I swapped some Christmas gifts out too. But then I went to a quilt show with my mom and that woman is such an enabler. So I need to add to my list a Brown Bear quilt for DS2 and table runners and potholders for my gmas and MIL. That brown bear kit is soooo darned cute though.... DDs doll is coming along fabulously- and I picked up a bunch of fat quarters for clothes and a little blanket for the doll. Oh and I decided to make her a mermaid doll as well- so my list isn't shrinking at all.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

iowaorganic is offline  
#188 of 650 Old 09-28-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
 
rere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
Well- so my list isn't shrinking at all.
Yeh,that's the problem with starting early.I'm considering adding two more kids to my list and a couple neighbors.

rere is offline  
#189 of 650 Old 09-28-2009, 01:24 PM
 
caiesmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My list seems to be growing too!
I started the second page of ds's quiet book this morning. It's our house and the door opens to a wedding pic of dh and I..I'm going to make a window in the "roof" that has a piece of loose fabric for curtains and a picture of dd behind it. Then I'm making a chimney with 3-d smoke coming out(just white fabric with batting behind it) Then I may go back at the end with my scraps and make flowers ect.

I'm planning on working on F-I-L's socks, but it's nice saving my knitting projects for travel/waiting for drs. ect

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
caiesmommy is offline  
#190 of 650 Old 09-28-2009, 09:26 PM
 
iowaorganic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,292
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Well,instead of getting started on the bag for my MIL,I made a teapot cozy for my stepfather.Now I'm waiting for the stenciled t-shirt to dry a little more before I decide if it needs another coat of paint.
Do you have a patten for this teapot cozy? That is awesome!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

iowaorganic is offline  
#191 of 650 Old 09-28-2009, 09:57 PM
 
MeAndVee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mmm...I went crazy and bought some lovely Sock Monkey fabrics. DS LOVES monkeys. Everywhere we go if he sees a monkey, he wants it. He has two monkeys that go with him everywhere. I bought two pairs of Rockford Red Heel Socks years ago and never did anything with them. Lucky me to have DS {wink}! So hopefully he will be getting a Sock Monkey quilt and monkey for Christmas. Also, have two sweater patterns that I am dieing to do and need to get off my tail and do it! We'll see...

Catherine & Baby Vee
Mama to Vinayak {8/2007} & Married to Sridhar {11/2001}
MeAndVee is offline  
#192 of 650 Old 09-28-2009, 10:59 PM
 
dfunk98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 489
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Oh no.Why?
because it's not the "norm" or his version of the norm. i'm making them some stuff anyway, though.
ds is infatuated with dd's bitty baby, so he's getting one of his own, plus some clothes to make it more "boy-like". i'm also making him a bunch of monster dolls and i'm contemplating some cloth balls. oh, and some wooden animals. my dad got my a scroll saw for my birthday
dd is (hopefully) getting a couple of topsy-turvy dolls, a little red riding hood cape and picnic basket of felt treats. hopefully some dress-up dresses, too, if i can figure out the patterns. i haven't used one in years.

For everyone else:
Mom-Cobbler's apron
MIL-Lunch tote (she totes her lunch in a little paper gift bag)
Older nieces-headbands, cuff bracelets and colored pencil wallets
Younger nieces-crayon totes and i-spy bags
Baby nieces not sure yet

That's all I got so far. Suggestions welcome!!

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

dfunk98 is offline  
#193 of 650 Old 09-29-2009, 12:13 AM
 
beansricerevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Well,instead of getting started on the bag for my MIL,I made a teapot cozy for my stepfather.Now I'm waiting for the stenciled t-shirt to dry a little more before I decide if it needs another coat of paint.
love the tea pot cozy! Yes, please share your pattern
beansricerevolt is offline  
#194 of 650 Old 09-29-2009, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
 
rere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
Do you have a patten for this teapot cozy? That is awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
love the tea pot cozy! Yes, please share your pattern
Thanks!

I didn't use a pattern.I looked on line to get a general size and then just sort of winged it.I did see a bunch of free tuts out there.I just don't have one to recommend.Sorry.I'd be happy to answer any question if you have one though.

rere is offline  
#195 of 650 Old 09-29-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
 
rere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAndVee View Post
Mmm...I went crazy and bought some lovely Sock Monkey fabrics. DS LOVES monkeys. Everywhere we go if he sees a monkey, he wants it. He has two monkeys that go with him everywhere. I bought two pairs of Rockford Red Heel Socks years ago and never did anything with them. Lucky me to have DS {wink}! So hopefully he will be getting a Sock Monkey quilt and monkey for Christmas. Also, have two sweater patterns that I am dieing to do and need to get off my tail and do it! We'll see...
Cute!I just saw some sock monkey pjs at the thrist store.I was so sad I didn't know anyone who was the right size for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk98 View Post
because it's not the "norm" or his version of the norm. i'm making them some stuff anyway, though.
ds is infatuated with dd's bitty baby, so he's getting one of his own, plus some clothes to make it more "boy-like". i'm also making him a bunch of monster dolls and i'm contemplating some cloth balls. oh, and some wooden animals. my dad got my a scroll saw for my birthday
dd is (hopefully) getting a couple of topsy-turvy dolls, a little red riding hood cape and picnic basket of felt treats. hopefully some dress-up dresses, too, if i can figure out the patterns. i haven't used one in years.

For everyone else:
Mom-Cobbler's apron
MIL-Lunch tote (she totes her lunch in a little paper gift bag)
Older nieces-headbands, cuff bracelets and colored pencil wallets
Younger nieces-crayon totes and i-spy bags
Baby nieces not sure yet

That's all I got so far. Suggestions welcome!!
Ok this is going to make me sound lame but it never occurred to me that maybe the reason some of the "nonappreciaters",on my list,don't appreciate the handmade goodness is because it's not "normal".But it all makes sense now.Ok,I know that is probably obvious but keep in mind that I have been making gifts since I was old enough to put glue to paper.

Well,I'm glad you're making it normal for your kids.

Your list sounds great!How about some sort of teething toy for the babies?Or those dolls that are a head with a blanket body?

Oh and last year I made my mom a lunch tote because she carried around a little paper gift bag.She said the best part is the little matching snack bag(just a fabric bag that's the size of a ziplock with a velcro closure).

rere is offline  
#196 of 650 Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
 
rere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I made some progress on the bag for my MIL(how long can one bag take?).All I have left to do is make the handles and sew the lining and handles to the shell of the bag.Maybe nap time tomorrow will finish it??

rere is offline  
#197 of 650 Old 09-30-2009, 10:31 AM
 
caiesmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night while dh and I sat watching Heroes I knitted a ball out of organic cotton. I plan on stuffing it and putting a jingle bell in the middle. I'm planning on making 4 all together. 1 for dd's stocking, 1 for ds's stocking, and 2 to send down to a friend of ours in Tennesse for her son. Really quick to make. I did some color changes so it took a bit longer but it was straight garten, knit in 2 pieces and then sewn together, took me the lenght of the show.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
caiesmommy is offline  
#198 of 650 Old 09-30-2009, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
 
rere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
Last night while dh and I sat watching Heroes I knitted a ball out of organic cotton. I plan on stuffing it and putting a jingle bell in the middle. I'm planning on making 4 all together. 1 for dd's stocking, 1 for ds's stocking, and 2 to send down to a friend of ours in Tennesse for her son. Really quick to make. I did some color changes so it took a bit longer but it was straight garten, knit in 2 pieces and then sewn together, took me the lenght of the show.
Nice!I think soft balls are such a great toy.My daughter is almost 5 and she still has a blast with hers(ok so do I).

I should know better than to make crafting plans for nap time.I didn't get any work done on the bag for my MIL but I did get stung by a yellow jacket.

rere is offline  
#199 of 650 Old 09-30-2009, 08:22 PM
 
caiesmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Nice!I think soft balls are such a great toy.My daughter is almost 5 and she still has a blast with hers(ok so do I).

I should know better than to make crafting plans for nap time.I didn't get any work done on the bag for my MIL but I did get stung by a yellow jacket.
I'm in the process of knitting a second one now. Hoping to get one more done tonight...and maybe even cut some fabric for bean bags! I didn't get much crafting done today though. M-I-L wanted to go shopping to buy dd a snow suit so who was I to say no to a free snow suit

Yuck yellow jackets! We have a next right outside our door...dh won't do anything about it, somehow none of us have gotten stung...well except the cat, who chases them when they get in the house

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
caiesmommy is offline  
#200 of 650 Old 10-01-2009, 11:10 AM
 
beansricerevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I very much dislike yellow jackets. Sorry about your sting rere.

I haven't done anything in the past week Im hoping this weekend will be better for me
beansricerevolt is offline  
#201 of 650 Old 10-01-2009, 11:13 AM
 
boigrrrlwonder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,034
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Man, y'all make me feel behind. We did go apple picking and I canned apple pie filling, which we'll give as a gift to my parents-in-law and my parents. I'm making DD a doll sling and I'm assisting with making a very simple doll house. I still need ideas for what to make DP. Right now, though, I'm still busy on Halloween costumes.
boigrrrlwonder is offline  
#202 of 650 Old 10-01-2009, 11:17 AM
 
beansricerevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
Right now, though, I'm still busy on Halloween costumes.
Me too. Gifts have to be on hold for a little while. I need to get these costumes done.
beansricerevolt is offline  
#203 of 650 Old 10-01-2009, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter
 
rere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
I very much dislike yellow jackets. Sorry about your sting rere.

I haven't done anything in the past week Im hoping this weekend will be better for me
Thanks.I hope your pinkeye is gone.What a mess to deal with.


Well,I finished the bag for my MIL last night.Nothing done today because I was at my sister's house all day and now it's so cold in the house that my daughter and I plan to snuggle under the covers all night.

rere is offline  
#204 of 650 Old 10-01-2009, 10:16 PM
 
caiesmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 2,906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to visit grandmother-in-law today with the kids and my M-I-L so I knitted F-I-L's sock the whole way there..I got quite a bit done I'm turning the heel right now

BUT I'm thinking I won't be getting anymore done for awhile...I'm training to become a doula and my mama is having contractions!!! woohoo...I'm asking the birth godess to push this baby along so I can still make it to work Fri afternoon!!! ekkk!!! Seriously I work 1 day a week one week two the next and she has to go into labour a week that I have to work 2 days the day BEFORE!!! BAH

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
caiesmommy is offline  
#205 of 650 Old 10-01-2009, 10:53 PM
 
MeAndVee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lucky me...DS costume from last year still fits him....he is going to ba a Jack-O-Lantern.

Catherine & Baby Vee
Mama to Vinayak {8/2007} & Married to Sridhar {11/2001}
MeAndVee is offline  
#206 of 650 Old 10-02-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
 
rere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is the quilted tote for my MIL.

And like others I have to get to work on Halloween.I started but need to get going and get finished.

rere is offline  
#207 of 650 Old 10-02-2009, 11:50 AM
 
beansricerevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Here is the quilted tote for my MIL.

And like others I have to get to work on Halloween.I started but need to get going and get finished.
very nice!

yea, halloween has me stumped this year. Ds is going to be a vampire. Thats easy but DD wants to be a zombie fairy. I have no idea how to make fairy wings!
beansricerevolt is offline  
#208 of 650 Old 10-02-2009, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
 
rere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
very nice!

yea, halloween has me stumped this year. Ds is going to be a vampire. Thats easy but DD wants to be a zombie fairy. I have no idea how to make fairy wings!
Thanks!

Ha!Fairy wings are on my to do list for this weekend.My daughter originally wanted to be an onion and then decided on flower fairy queen.I think I'm just going to go with a coat hanger and stockings.Osco has knee highs for about 50 cents and I have coat hangers.We'll see how it goes.

rere is offline  
#209 of 650 Old 10-02-2009, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
 
rere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found a good tut for fairy wings.I know...off topic but...

rere is offline  
#210 of 650 Old 10-02-2009, 05:49 PM
 
beansricerevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 4,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
I found a good tut for fairy wings.I know...off topic but...
perfect! Thank You!!!!
beansricerevolt is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off