Christmas!or any other December(ish)time gift giving celebration! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 650 Old 09-26-2009, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well,instead of getting started on the bag for my MIL,I made a teapot cozy for my stepfather.Now I'm waiting for the stenciled t-shirt to dry a little more before I decide if it needs another coat of paint.

#182 of 650 Old 09-26-2009, 10:43 PM

So I washed the panels for the kids growth charts. But realized I need thread..so have to make a store trip

I started ds's quiet book and have a page almost done! It's a tree w removable apples, using snap buttons. I just need to make a "basket" on the page to put the apples in. I even added a tree swing hanging from the tree...SUPER CUTE! I think it's going to be a quicker project...I'm going to need a bit more felt so again store trip

Planning on
-a house page that he opens the front door and it's the fam pic we're getting done in Nov.
-a peek-a-boo page where he moves mittens and it's a picture of himself
-a little boy to dress up-w raincoat/boots/umbrella/shorts/pants/shirts
-a shoe with a shoe lace to tie
Then I'm not sure..but I am TOTALLY excited about it!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#183 of 650 Old 09-27-2009, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
So I washed the panels for the kids growth charts. But realized I need thread..so have to make a store trip

I started ds's quiet book and have a page almost done! It's a tree w removable apples, using snap buttons. I just need to make a "basket" on the page to put the apples in. I even added a tree swing hanging from the tree...SUPER CUTE! I think it's going to be a quicker project...I'm going to need a bit more felt so again store trip

Planning on
-a house page that he opens the front door and it's the fam pic we're getting done in Nov.
-a peek-a-boo page where he moves mittens and it's a picture of himself
-a little boy to dress up-w raincoat/boots/umbrella/shorts/pants/shirts
-a shoe with a shoe lace to tie
Then I'm not sure..but I am TOTALLY excited about it!
Uhg,running out of thread is the worst.Especially when I'm all excited and have the time to sew.

The quiet book sounds really cute and I'm glad you have a project that you're excited about!

#184 of 650 Old 09-27-2009, 11:16 AM

So I decided to piece together one of the panel growth charts with an off color thread, then I'll get white when I plan on putting the binding on. It was alot more work then I thought, the panel was super thin so I had to put back fabric on the panel, then batting then the backing fabric BUT one is almost finished..just binding now! And since I did the one I'm sure the next one will go faster. And since dd was so happy in her new exersaucer(inlaws SPOIL HER) I sewed up ds thomas stocking...so now just a bit of trim around the top and it's done

I also found an ornament kit I bought last year for small felt ornaments so I'm going to see if I can get those sewn up for bows...we'll see though

#185 of 650 Old 09-27-2009, 01:30 PM

traded some of my pieces with other crafty moms and can check off the clutch for my SIL as well as altered crochet hooks for my MIL and homemade liqueurs for dh! Ive been sick all week with pink eye and im afraid to do any of these projects. Im highly contagious!
#186 of 650 Old 09-27-2009, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
traded some of my pieces with other crafty moms and can check off the clutch for my SIL as well as altered crochet hooks for my MIL and homemade liqueurs for dh! Ive been sick all week with pink eye and im afraid to do any of these projects. Im highly contagious!
Eeew pink eye.I hope it hasn't got your whole family.Sorry to hear about that but so nice that you were able to do some swapping.I was just thinking about swapping this morning.

The bag for my MIL is trying to finish me off.I decided I needed to take some space away from it but really I want to work on it some more.I know if I do,I will mess it up so I'm trying to force myself to leave it alone for now.

#187 of 650 Old 09-28-2009, 12:32 PM

Well- I swapped some Christmas gifts out too. But then I went to a quilt show with my mom and that woman is such an enabler. So I need to add to my list a Brown Bear quilt for DS2 and table runners and potholders for my gmas and MIL. That brown bear kit is soooo darned cute though.... DDs doll is coming along fabulously- and I picked up a bunch of fat quarters for clothes and a little blanket for the doll. Oh and I decided to make her a mermaid doll as well- so my list isn't shrinking at all.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#188 of 650 Old 09-28-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
Well- so my list isn't shrinking at all.
Yeh,that's the problem with starting early.I'm considering adding two more kids to my list and a couple neighbors.

#189 of 650 Old 09-28-2009, 01:24 PM

My list seems to be growing too!
I started the second page of ds's quiet book this morning. It's our house and the door opens to a wedding pic of dh and I..I'm going to make a window in the "roof" that has a piece of loose fabric for curtains and a picture of dd behind it. Then I'm making a chimney with 3-d smoke coming out(just white fabric with batting behind it) Then I may go back at the end with my scraps and make flowers ect.

I'm planning on working on F-I-L's socks, but it's nice saving my knitting projects for travel/waiting for drs. ect

#190 of 650 Old 09-28-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Well,instead of getting started on the bag for my MIL,I made a teapot cozy for my stepfather.Now I'm waiting for the stenciled t-shirt to dry a little more before I decide if it needs another coat of paint.
Do you have a patten for this teapot cozy? That is awesome!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#191 of 650 Old 09-28-2009, 09:57 PM

Mmm...I went crazy and bought some lovely Sock Monkey fabrics. DS LOVES monkeys. Everywhere we go if he sees a monkey, he wants it. He has two monkeys that go with him everywhere. I bought two pairs of Rockford Red Heel Socks years ago and never did anything with them. Lucky me to have DS {wink}! So hopefully he will be getting a Sock Monkey quilt and monkey for Christmas. Also, have two sweater patterns that I am dieing to do and need to get off my tail and do it! We'll see...

Catherine & Baby Vee
Mama to Vinayak {8/2007} & Married to Sridhar {11/2001}
#192 of 650 Old 09-28-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Oh no.Why?
because it's not the "norm" or his version of the norm. i'm making them some stuff anyway, though.
ds is infatuated with dd's bitty baby, so he's getting one of his own, plus some clothes to make it more "boy-like". i'm also making him a bunch of monster dolls and i'm contemplating some cloth balls. oh, and some wooden animals. my dad got my a scroll saw for my birthday
dd is (hopefully) getting a couple of topsy-turvy dolls, a little red riding hood cape and picnic basket of felt treats. hopefully some dress-up dresses, too, if i can figure out the patterns. i haven't used one in years.

For everyone else:
Mom-Cobbler's apron
MIL-Lunch tote (she totes her lunch in a little paper gift bag)
Older nieces-headbands, cuff bracelets and colored pencil wallets
Younger nieces-crayon totes and i-spy bags
Baby nieces not sure yet

That's all I got so far. Suggestions welcome!!

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

#193 of 650 Old 09-29-2009, 12:13 AM

Quote:
love the tea pot cozy! Yes, please share your pattern
#194 of 650 Old 09-29-2009, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
Do you have a patten for this teapot cozy? That is awesome!
Quote:
love the tea pot cozy! Yes, please share your pattern
Thanks!

I didn't use a pattern.I looked on line to get a general size and then just sort of winged it.I did see a bunch of free tuts out there.I just don't have one to recommend.Sorry.I'd be happy to answer any question if you have one though.

#195 of 650 Old 09-29-2009, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAndVee View Post
Mmm...I went crazy and bought some lovely Sock Monkey fabrics. DS LOVES monkeys. Everywhere we go if he sees a monkey, he wants it. He has two monkeys that go with him everywhere. I bought two pairs of Rockford Red Heel Socks years ago and never did anything with them. Lucky me to have DS {wink}! So hopefully he will be getting a Sock Monkey quilt and monkey for Christmas. Also, have two sweater patterns that I am dieing to do and need to get off my tail and do it! We'll see...
Cute!I just saw some sock monkey pjs at the thrist store.I was so sad I didn't know anyone who was the right size for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfunk98 View Post
because it's not the "norm" or his version of the norm. i'm making them some stuff anyway, though.
ds is infatuated with dd's bitty baby, so he's getting one of his own, plus some clothes to make it more "boy-like". i'm also making him a bunch of monster dolls and i'm contemplating some cloth balls. oh, and some wooden animals. my dad got my a scroll saw for my birthday
dd is (hopefully) getting a couple of topsy-turvy dolls, a little red riding hood cape and picnic basket of felt treats. hopefully some dress-up dresses, too, if i can figure out the patterns. i haven't used one in years.

For everyone else:
Mom-Cobbler's apron
MIL-Lunch tote (she totes her lunch in a little paper gift bag)
Older nieces-headbands, cuff bracelets and colored pencil wallets
Younger nieces-crayon totes and i-spy bags
Baby nieces not sure yet

That's all I got so far. Suggestions welcome!!
Ok this is going to make me sound lame but it never occurred to me that maybe the reason some of the "nonappreciaters",on my list,don't appreciate the handmade goodness is because it's not "normal".But it all makes sense now.Ok,I know that is probably obvious but keep in mind that I have been making gifts since I was old enough to put glue to paper.

Well,I'm glad you're making it normal for your kids.

Your list sounds great!How about some sort of teething toy for the babies?Or those dolls that are a head with a blanket body?

Oh and last year I made my mom a lunch tote because she carried around a little paper gift bag.She said the best part is the little matching snack bag(just a fabric bag that's the size of a ziplock with a velcro closure).

#196 of 650 Old 09-29-2009, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

I made some progress on the bag for my MIL(how long can one bag take?).All I have left to do is make the handles and sew the lining and handles to the shell of the bag.Maybe nap time tomorrow will finish it??

#197 of 650 Old 09-30-2009, 10:31 AM

Last night while dh and I sat watching Heroes I knitted a ball out of organic cotton. I plan on stuffing it and putting a jingle bell in the middle. I'm planning on making 4 all together. 1 for dd's stocking, 1 for ds's stocking, and 2 to send down to a friend of ours in Tennesse for her son. Really quick to make. I did some color changes so it took a bit longer but it was straight garten, knit in 2 pieces and then sewn together, took me the lenght of the show.

#198 of 650 Old 09-30-2009, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
Last night while dh and I sat watching Heroes I knitted a ball out of organic cotton. I plan on stuffing it and putting a jingle bell in the middle. I'm planning on making 4 all together. 1 for dd's stocking, 1 for ds's stocking, and 2 to send down to a friend of ours in Tennesse for her son. Really quick to make. I did some color changes so it took a bit longer but it was straight garten, knit in 2 pieces and then sewn together, took me the lenght of the show.
Nice!I think soft balls are such a great toy.My daughter is almost 5 and she still has a blast with hers(ok so do I).

I should know better than to make crafting plans for nap time.I didn't get any work done on the bag for my MIL but I did get stung by a yellow jacket.

#199 of 650 Old 09-30-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Nice!I think soft balls are such a great toy.My daughter is almost 5 and she still has a blast with hers(ok so do I).

I should know better than to make crafting plans for nap time.I didn't get any work done on the bag for my MIL but I did get stung by a yellow jacket.
I'm in the process of knitting a second one now. Hoping to get one more done tonight...and maybe even cut some fabric for bean bags! I didn't get much crafting done today though. M-I-L wanted to go shopping to buy dd a snow suit so who was I to say no to a free snow suit

Yuck yellow jackets! We have a next right outside our door...dh won't do anything about it, somehow none of us have gotten stung...well except the cat, who chases them when they get in the house

#200 of 650 Old 10-01-2009, 11:10 AM

I very much dislike yellow jackets. Sorry about your sting rere.

I haven't done anything in the past week Im hoping this weekend will be better for me
#201 of 650 Old 10-01-2009, 11:13 AM

Man, y'all make me feel behind. We did go apple picking and I canned apple pie filling, which we'll give as a gift to my parents-in-law and my parents. I'm making DD a doll sling and I'm assisting with making a very simple doll house. I still need ideas for what to make DP. Right now, though, I'm still busy on Halloween costumes.
#202 of 650 Old 10-01-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boigrrrlwonder View Post
Right now, though, I'm still busy on Halloween costumes.
Me too. Gifts have to be on hold for a little while. I need to get these costumes done.
#203 of 650 Old 10-01-2009, 10:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I very much dislike yellow jackets. Sorry about your sting rere.

I haven't done anything in the past week Im hoping this weekend will be better for me
Thanks.I hope your pinkeye is gone.What a mess to deal with.

Well,I finished the bag for my MIL last night.Nothing done today because I was at my sister's house all day and now it's so cold in the house that my daughter and I plan to snuggle under the covers all night.

#204 of 650 Old 10-01-2009, 10:16 PM

I went to visit grandmother-in-law today with the kids and my M-I-L so I knitted F-I-L's sock the whole way there..I got quite a bit done I'm turning the heel right now

BUT I'm thinking I won't be getting anymore done for awhile...I'm training to become a doula and my mama is having contractions!!! woohoo...I'm asking the birth godess to push this baby along so I can still make it to work Fri afternoon!!! ekkk!!! Seriously I work 1 day a week one week two the next and she has to go into labour a week that I have to work 2 days the day BEFORE!!! BAH

#205 of 650 Old 10-01-2009, 10:53 PM

Lucky me...DS costume from last year still fits him....he is going to ba a Jack-O-Lantern.

Catherine & Baby Vee
Mama to Vinayak {8/2007} & Married to Sridhar {11/2001}
#206 of 650 Old 10-02-2009, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the quilted tote for my MIL.

And like others I have to get to work on Halloween.I started but need to get going and get finished.

#207 of 650 Old 10-02-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Here is the quilted tote for my MIL.

And like others I have to get to work on Halloween.I started but need to get going and get finished.
very nice!

yea, halloween has me stumped this year. Ds is going to be a vampire. Thats easy but DD wants to be a zombie fairy. I have no idea how to make fairy wings!
#208 of 650 Old 10-02-2009, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
very nice!

yea, halloween has me stumped this year. Ds is going to be a vampire. Thats easy but DD wants to be a zombie fairy. I have no idea how to make fairy wings!
Thanks!

Ha!Fairy wings are on my to do list for this weekend.My daughter originally wanted to be an onion and then decided on flower fairy queen.I think I'm just going to go with a coat hanger and stockings.Osco has knee highs for about 50 cents and I have coat hangers.We'll see how it goes.

#209 of 650 Old 10-02-2009, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

I found a good tut for fairy wings.I know...off topic but...

#210 of 650 Old 10-02-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I found a good tut for fairy wings.I know...off topic but...
perfect! Thank You!!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page