Christmas!or any other December(ish)time gift giving celebration! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-13-2009, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got the scarf almost done. Got to making the flower and realized I need the needles that I'm using for F-I-L's socks So the scarf is on hold until the socks are done

I spent part of naptime today making the head of dd's waldorf inspired doll. Looks decent, now I need some fabric to make the rest of the doll, Searching my old sheets.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
I got the scarf almost done. Got to making the flower and realized I need the needles that I'm using for F-I-L's socks So the scarf is on hold until the socks are done

I spent part of naptime today making the head of dd's waldorf inspired doll. Looks decent, now I need some fabric to make the rest of the doll, Searching my old sheets.
Well now you have to finish FIL socks because you must finish that cute scarf.

I don't know if you have any but how about receiving blankets for the doll body?

I have done NOTHING.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:55 PM

Yeah, it's giving me motivation tofinish the socks. I'm at turning the heel now. BUT I took a breakand started dd's doll and was *really* going at it and had the head donw,the skin for the head done and then started the hair, and ran out kicker is that it's a super old arn that was given to me by my grandma so theres no way to find another ball. So I have to redo the skin and buy some new yarn for hair. PLUS is that I really wanted a blonde doll since dd has white hair and this yarn was orangey red. OTHER plus is the wool shop is having a huge sale on sat so I can by some real wool for cheap! Dh made the point that if I'm spending all this time making it it should be what I want.....I walked down to the fabric shop and bought good thread to sew up the body until I can get wool on sat....so the plan is to enjoy some lovings with my sewing machine

Old 10-14-2009, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Nice plan!

Old 10-14-2009, 06:52 PM

I've got the body of the doll sewn Now I just have to finish the head/face/hair and put it together

So since I'm stuck with nowhere to go on the doll until I buy some yarn...I'm back to the darn socks

Old 10-14-2009, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
I am making DIY gifts this year too! I just got an embroidery machine so that is the bulk of the gifts

MIL- a apron, towels and hot pad set that I embroidered with Linda’s Café
FIL same thing
Mom is getting a set of cloth napkins with her monogram on it and wedding date to look something like this:
HDD
Est. 04.04.1978
Dad is getting a towel for his boat and one for his golf clubs
Sister is getting the same thing as mom

I also plan on making home made candles, chocolates and other goodies to go with the gift sets that I make up!

i have lots of other ideas and i will post them when they come!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
I am making DIY gifts this year too! I just got an embroidery machine so that is the bulk of the gifts

MIL- a apron, towels and hot pad set that I embroidered with Linda’s Café
FIL same thing
Mom is getting a set of cloth napkins with her monogram on it and wedding date to look something like this:
HDD
Est. 04.04.1978
Dad is getting a towel for his boat and one for his golf clubs
Sister is getting the same thing as mom

I also plan on making home made candles, chocolates and other goodies to go with the gift sets that I make up!

i have lots of other ideas and i will post them when they come!
Those all sound really nice!

I am determined to get something done today.We'll see...

Old 10-17-2009, 12:53 PM

I've got the body of dd's doll finished, now I just need to finish the head/hair. I restarted my aunts fingerless gloves so that's my new on the go project.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've got the body of dd's doll finished, now I just need to finish the head/hair. I restarted my aunts fingerless gloves so that's my new on the go project.
Yay for progress!

I'm waiting for the paint on a t-shirt to dry.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:23 PM

Wow! Waiting for paint to dry FUN! I went to the local wool shop today, they we're having a sale and I hoed I could find something for dh...she saw me coming and mentioned how she still had the 2 balls of pink pure wool left that I was eyeing last week...They we're on sale 3/12 and she gave them to me for 3/10 with the promise I'd take in and show her what I made from them. So I caved,and got 2 pink and one grayish blue..I'm in the process of knitting dd a skirt for an xmas gift...seriously like I needed to start ANOTHER project....

Old 10-18-2009, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Wow! Waiting for paint to dry FUN! I went to the local wool shop today, they we're having a sale and I hoed I could find something for dh...she saw me coming and mentioned how she still had the 2 balls of pink pure wool left that I was eyeing last week...They we're on sale 3/12 and she gave them to me for 3/10 with the promise I'd take in and show her what I made from them. So I caved,and got 2 pink and one grayish blue..I'm in the process of knitting dd a skirt for an xmas gift...seriously like I needed to start ANOTHER project....
HA!Well I occupied my time by making and eating chocolate chip cookies.Anyway,here's the t-shirt for my BIL.Now I just need to find a plain white baby t so I can make a matching one for his baby boy.

But a knit baby skirt will be sooo cute!

Old 10-18-2009, 03:34 PM

That's a cute t-shirt!...I just made apple sauce to use up some soft apples, now I'm going to attempt apple peel jelly w the peels and cores for dh's aunts/uncles and anyone else that comes to mind.

I started working on dd's skirt and made a boo-boo so I think I may have to start over...luckily only 11 rows in, still sucks but could be worse

Old 10-18-2009, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Once again,I find myself eating cookies while waiting for paint to dry.

Old 10-18-2009, 11:17 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Those all sound really nice!

I am determined to get something done today.We'll see...
thanks i will post pics when i get them all done... right now i am just playing trying to figure out the darn thing... love new toys...

and heres some motivation dust for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Once again,I find myself eating cookies while waiting for paint to dry.
oh i love cookies and watching paint dry is so relaxing

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
thanks i will post pics when i get them all done... right now i am just playing trying to figure out the darn thing... love new toys...

and heres some motivation dust for you!

oh i love cookies and watching paint dry is so relaxing
Thanks for the motivation!

Cookies...I can't resist them.The paint drying was actually a bit relaxing because it meant I had accomplished something.That always feels good!

Today I'll be working on birthday party stuff...

Old 10-19-2009, 12:15 PM

I finished DDs pocket pal- just the doll mind you- but now comes the fun part of sewing up cutsy clothes. I was at a quilt show a couple of weeks ago and picked up a bunch of cute little fat quarters for her clothes and a tiny baby quilt. Maybe if she takes a nap today......

Also- I just finished an awesome and very easy table runner for myself and I think I am going to add a bunch of them to my list for the special ladies in my life- like 8 of them. I am going to try to personalize them to suit thier interests- but otherwise I am trying to figure out how to make them denim/flannel rag edged. that would be so much simpler than binding. And ya know what? Since we all live in the country- country themed gifts are almost always appropriate.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 10-19-2009, 04:51 PM

So I canned 6 jars of apple jelly this morning. I have leftover "apple water" stored in the freezer in case I make anoth batch of apple sauce then I'll add the cores/peels and make more apple jelly While doing that I got the idea to can the green cherry tomatoes that we are overwhelmed with. I jarred them with garlic, green and red chili slices and thyme. Looks really "christmassy" Sad that I only got 4 small jars, figure dh will prob eat 2 at least before the holidays

I also got the back of dd's skirt done..now the front is on the needles

I'm thinking of cutting the hair for dd's doll tonight, we'll see

Old 10-19-2009, 05:36 PM

So I need some ideas for treats in an advent calander...I'm making little felt stockings to hang for ds to learn to count down till solstice then xmas. I'm going tohave activities or a treat in each day, but I don't want little plastic junk..any ideas?

Old 10-19-2009, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So I need some ideas for treats in an advent calander...I'm making little felt stockings to hang for ds to learn to count down till solstice then xmas. I'm going tohave activities or a treat in each day, but I don't want little plastic junk..any ideas?
I did this last year.It was so much fun!I painted little wood shapes and glued a ribbon loop on the back of each one.We have a little mini tree so each day my daughter put one ornament on it.Here are the ornaments and the stockings(and mittens).

The paint dried.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:07 PM

that onsie is adorable! too cute!

what did you use for "treats" in the stockings. My plan is to hang them like you did, then have a ribbon w the day on them. But I have no idea what treats to put inside the stockings. I'm going to have some w activites(like the day of the parade/town tree lighting?) I'm thinking crayons and things?

Old 10-19-2009, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
that onsie is adorable! too cute!

what did you use for "treats" in the stockings. My plan is to hang them like you did, then have a ribbon w the day on them. But I have no idea what treats to put inside the stockings. I'm going to have some w activites(like the day of the parade/town tree lighting?) I'm thinking crayons and things?
Sorry,I was unclear.I hung(like a clothes line)the mittens and stockings on my daughter's bed.Inside each stocking(or mitten)was a little wood ornament.Everyday she would put an ornament on the mini tree.But no other treats.It was a lot of fun though.

But if you want to do treats...super balls?little cars?felt cuffs?bubbles?funny soap?stickers?ummmm...finger puppets?peg people?funny socks?mini blank drawing books?stamps?

Old 10-21-2009, 11:55 AM

Yesterday I finished up a wall hanging quilt for my MIL- she has been going on and on about the serenity prayer and I found a silkscreened panel of it at a quilt show awhile ago (that I forgot I had)- so I centered it and stripped it out with fabrics that should hopefully match her new decor of her new home. I quilted it and even bound it by hand- and it looks great! I want to quilt a coordinating table topper to go with it and maybe knit a couple of dish clothes to go with it as well. But the wall quilt is pretty enough I think it should be able to stand alone if I can't get the rest done. snapfish photo books are on sale right now- so I think I am going to work on those for her right now...

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Old 10-21-2009, 01:52 PM

I finished knitting dd's skirt, now just to seam it....sucky part is that I broke all my knitting needles, M-I-L lent me one and I dropped it at her house and we can't find it

I'm needing to finish up a little on S-I-L's socks and figure out what I'm buying B-I-L so I can get them in the mail by Halloween, I'd like them to get to S. Korea before xmas. Sad that the one thing they both want is food that I don't think I can send

Old 10-22-2009, 10:44 AM

Found my needle!!!

Got dd's skirt DONE! Sewn up and everything!

Cut some hair for her doll, started the head and then the needle broke, so now I *really* need a new yarn needle

Finished ds's growth chart panel quilt

Today I'm thinking I'm going to cut the fish for ds's game. I know now that that's what he's getting for sure. He walked around with a stick yest. and a piece of yarn he hung on it "catch fish mama" so I'm going to start that!

Old 10-22-2009, 12:56 PM

Help! M-I-L commented that she can't wait to see what I make her for xmas... I wasn't planning on making her anything When I talked to dh to make sure he was going to make her a c.d. he said.."ummm no I don't think I'll get to that"..the ONE gift he's in charge of...soooo ideas PLEASE!!!

Here we go...
-Christmas is her fave time of year...LOVES IT!
-victorian is her thing
-collects santas
-collects doves
-Her tree is one of those fake ones covered in that white stuff thats suppose to look like snow
-decorated in red/white
-Tree topper is a dove frm her wedding

Ideas I have
-knitted dove ornaments..seems kinda blah and not enough
-sewn dove garland kind of like these BUT done with a lacy, victorian kinda feel. Figuring she can hang it from her tree/staircase/fireplace/doorway..whatever she wants to do with it

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/br...roductsCatalog

http://www.soulemama.com/soulemama/2...g_you_lig.html

Any ideas ladies

Old 10-22-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Help! M-I-L commented that she can't wait to see what I make her for xmas... I wasn't planning on making her anything When I talked to dh to make sure he was going to make her a c.d. he said.."ummm no I don't think I'll get to that"..the ONE gift he's in charge of...soooo ideas PLEASE!!!

Here we go...
-Christmas is her fave time of year...LOVES IT!
-victorian is her thing
-collects santas
-collects doves
-Her tree is one of those fake ones covered in that white stuff thats suppose to look like snow
-decorated in red/white
-Tree topper is a dove frm her wedding

Ideas I have
-knitted dove ornaments..seems kinda blah and not enough
-sewn dove garland kind of like these BUT done with a lacy, victorian kinda feel. Figuring she can hang it from her tree/staircase/fireplace/doorway..whatever she wants to do with it

http://www.orientaltrading.com/ui/br...roductsCatalog

http://www.soulemama.com/soulemama/2...g_you_lig.html

Any ideas ladies
Thats a great idea!
I really like the first link. The second one not so much. I couldn't really tell they were doves at first.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
Thats a great idea!
I really like the first link. The second one not so much. I couldn't really tell they were doves at first.
Yeah the second one is way to country/folky for her. But it was the only sewn one I could find LOL

Old 10-22-2009, 04:21 PM

I am almost ready to turn the heel on my first ever sock! I'm so thrilled! It's going really well so far. Maybe now I'll stop having guilty dreams, about not starting them, anymore.

I'm knitting a bread blanket for a friend and I might knit a few more for other women in my life. I made one for my mom's b-day in Sept, and it was a big hit. Even my 14-y-o sister loves to display her homemade bread in it.

I've also gotten requests to make mini mittens for people's Christmas trees. Maybe I'll pair a pair of mittens with a bottle of wine. Don't know.

I'm considering making water bottle slings for some people as well.

Ohhh, I wish I could knit faster!
Old 10-22-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
last year, i made an advent garland-little felt envelopes clipped to some yarn. instead of putting "treats" in there, per se, i put in piece of paper with special things to do on them. ie. bake christmas cookies, snuggle on the couch and watch a movie, etc. most of them were things we were going to do anyway, but putting them in the envelopes made it more fun!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/dfunk98/...99733593043090

http://picasaweb.google.com/dfunk98/...99735411446834

Danielle, bf'ing, cd'ing, bw'ing, ap'ing, SAHM to DD Avery (12-1-04) blahblah.gif DS Linus (10-31-07)bouncy.gif and DD Nilah (9-17-11) babygirl.gif

always and forever remembering angel1.gif (6-9-10)

User Tag List