Mothering Forum banner

Christmas!or any other December(ish)time gift giving celebration!

31K views 649 replies 61 participants last post by  IntuitiveJamie 
#1 ·
This thread over here really got me excited!But since I don't have a big bunch of tuts,patterns or "how tos" to share I thought I'd start a thread over here.

So...Have you started?Are you planning?

I started on one thing and have a few plans.I'm going to make teacup candles for the ladies in my family.Thankfully there is a Good Will by my house that usually has lots of teacups.

As always I'm short on ideas for the fellas.

So what are you all up to or planning?

See less See more
#3 ·
I'll join you! I was inspired by this thread: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=583443 and now you all are giving me ideas for grown-ups too! I am going to do a completely DIY Christmas this year. I'm also going to be doing a lot of recycling, since our budget is pretty tight.
I have a slew of ideas for DS, none for DH yet...

Jack is going to be getting a Waldorf doll from me for his birthday in November. I am also working on knitting him a sweater, and I'd like to do a matching sweater for his doll if I have enough yarn. For Christmas I want to do some felt food, clothes, and maybe a playmat for his room. I am going to keep my eyes open for a painters canvas drop cloth to make the playmat with.

For everyone else, I'm not sure yet. I like the teacup candle idea.

#5 ·
I commented over in the tutes, but I'll post here, too!

I'm starting to think about Christmas already.

For the girls I have planned a dollhouse (well I got instructions/dimensions for DH at least).

I also have been reading up on using a scroll saw to make wooden animals and playsets and am planning to ask for one for my birthday gift in August. I'm hopeful I'll be able to make some wooden toys for the girls using that.

I have planned either a wooden or quilted fabric mailbox for DD1 since she enjoys playing mailperson.

I'm scouring the crafting boards for more ideas, too!
:

#6 ·
I just made a disaster of a monster hat for DS that was supposed to be a Christmas present. Good thing it is July and I can rip it out and start all over again! I want to make a bunch for friend's toddlers too.

I am also planning to make him a busy book with zippers, buckles, mazes, etc.

Beyond that, I have no idea, but I really want a more homemade Christmas this year. We are dirt poor right now, so I am digging in my various stashes to find fun things to make.

Any ideas for homemade presents for 2 year olds would be welcome!

#7 ·
I am working on my first knit lace and will be making pillowcases with knit linen trim. The simple lace is a great project to work on a few minutes at a time.

#8 ·
Great ideas!I really love hearing what everyone is planning!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post

Any ideas for homemade presents for 2 year olds would be welcome!
What about simple dress up stuff like capes or tutus?Vests are also easy for small folks to put on.I made one out of fleece and then didn't even have to worry about finishing the edges.

Finger puppets are super easy to make and can be fun for that age.Here are some chickens from a set of farm animals that I made.

Dolls or silly monsters can be made out of whatever scraps you have.

#9 ·
Ok I'm going to type out my list to try and motivate myself.

Daughter(will be 5yrs old)-sleeping bag(just scored a brand new one with a carrying case from the goodwill for 5 bucks!I couldn't make one for less than that so I bought it.)mermaid costume(finished) and a few bought items and a violin that friends are giving us.

In her stocking-a stuffed heart(finished),stuffed toad stools(finished) and some bought things.

Husband-T-shirt(my daughter and I make him a t-shirt with her foot prints every year)(finished)And ....

Mom- a calendar made with pictures from the conservatory(finished) and bought her a super on sale punching bag because she REALLY wants one.

Stepfather-teapot cozy(finished) and either shortbread or some English pudding.

Brother-wrist warmers(finished) and homemade whoopie pies(did a trial run)

Sister- some candles(finished)framed jewelry organizer(finished),ornaments(finished)scarf(finished)

BIL- a remote holding pillow(finished)and a t-shirt to match his baby boy(finished)

Nephew(he'll be 7 mos.at Christmas)-wool ball(finished this was swapped for)decorated t-shirt(finished) bibs(finished)a fabric bucket(finished)cloth balls(finished)

Aunt-candle(finished)

Aunt-candle(finished)

Male cousin(27yrs old)-etched beer glasses(finished)

Female cousin(25 yr)-candle(finished)

Female cousin(18 yrs)-candle(finished)

MIL- candle(finished) and a quilted bird house tote(finished)

Uncle-lap blanket(finished) rice bag(finished)

Uncle-freezer paper stenciled t-shirt(finished)

Friend- bacon bracelet(finished) with matching headband(finished)

Friend- a rice bag(finished)

Boy friend(13 yrs)-painted shoes(finished)

Girl friend(10 yrs)-Travel pillow(finished)

Girl friend(5 yrs)-Travel pillow like this.(finished)

Friend(grown man)-Teacup candle(finished)

Cousin(3 yrs)Travel pillow(finished)

Friend(1yr old)tiny tote(finished)note book(finished)crayons(finished)

Friend(1yr old)tiny tote(finished)note book(finished)crayons(finished)

Friend(3 yrs old)pillow(finished)

Friend(baby)t-shirt(finished)

neighbor-teacup candle(finished)

Ok,I'm going to type out my daughter's list because I need to keep track of that too.

Nani/Grandfather-painting on canvas(finished)
Uncle-painted ceramic dog(finished)
Aunt/Uncle-painting on canvas(finished)
Cousin-abc book(working on it)
Grandma-heart pillow(finished)
Friends-sun catcher(finished)
Aunt-sun catcher(finished)

Ornaments(finished) for:
nani
aunt
aunt
titi
friends
grandma
uncle
cousin
cousin
friend
neighbor
neighbor
us

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post
, and maybe a playmat for his room. I am going to keep my eyes open for a painters canvas drop cloth to make the playmat with.
If you don't find a canvas and you have a fabric stash you could make the playmat quilt style.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by VeganCupcake View Post
I love the peg family! Where did you get the pegs to make them? I am looking for something just like that.
Thanks!

They're from Casey's Wood.The shipping is kind of a lot but if you're ordering a lot it's worth it.Here is another place that has them but I've never ordered from them.

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rere View Post
If you don't find a canvas and you have a fabric stash you could make the playmat quilt style.

Ooooh, directions please?
:

#14 ·
Me too!

SIL- central park hoodie (just need to get her measurements before I start it)
knit hat- DONE!

Sister 1- tea pot cozy and a couple of knitted dish rags

Sister 2- cute knitted hat-done!

Sister 3- cute knitted hat- done!

DH- wool afgan

DD-10" waldorf doll
Fairy wings

DS1- maybe a wood barn?
dragon wings?

DS2- waldorf doll?

Mom-

Dad-

MIL- something purchased- she feels that homemade=cheapskate.

#15 ·
Quote:

Ooooh, directions please?
:
Ok well,I'm just all talk on this one
because I haven't done it.But I was thinking you could applique roads and houses or farms(or whatever.) made out of scrap material onto a sheet of solid colored fabric(like an old sheet).Then just do it the same way you would any other quilt.Maybe add a way to carry it rolled up.Like this picnic blanket. I loosely used this tut for the handle.

Or even an already made blanket might work as a surface for the applqued scenes.

You could look at street scene rugs for inspiration.Here's an IKea one.

#16 ·
Ok, this is my list, now hopefully I will have enough time to get it all finished.

DSIL: Fingerless gloves, I have the yarn, just need to get them going on the needles
DSIL's boyfriend: I think he will probably get fingerless gloves as well because he works on the water a lot and it would probably be good for hauling nets and stuff.
Sister: lace scarf, it is about 1/3 of the way finished
DBIL: Some sort of kooky knit hat, he collects them, go figure.
Baby: She will be 8 mo at christmas, so I am still thinking about what to maker her. Maybe a sweater, but I'm a little worried about knitting time. Maybe I will sew her something? Just not sure what yet.
Gmother: Some reusable shopping bags or maybe knit socks.
Gfather: a knit lobster
Mother: knit legwarmer socks, you can find the pattern on knitty.com but I am changing it a little. She likes to cross country ski. They are on the needles at the moment.
DH: matching father son shirts. fingerless gloves, an ipod cozy, not sure what else yet...
DS: see above shirt, a knit cable sweater(on the needles), a floor quilt for playing. Crayons and big coloring papers(he will be 17 mo) Not sure what else yet....
basically everything handmade will be made out of stash because I have it. And need to use it. and there isn't any reason not to use it. And as I keep telling myself, I need the money I would otherwise spend on Christmas for school. That is right, school.
Shawna

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
Me too!

SIL- central park hoodie (just need to get her measurements before I start it)
knit hat- DONE!

Sister 1- tea pot cozy and a couple of knitted dish rags

Sister 2- cute knitted hat-done!

Sister 3- cute knitted hat- done!

DH- wool afgan

DD-10" waldorf doll
Fairy wings

DS1- maybe a wood barn?
dragon wings?

DS2- waldorf doll?

Mom-

Dad-

MIL- something purchased- she feels that homemade=cheapskate.
Nice ideas!

And they remind me that I was thinking about a tea cozy for my stepfather.Thanks!

Sorry to hear that your MIL thinks hand made equals cheapskate.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by rere View Post
Ok well,I'm just all talk on this one
because I haven't done it.But I was thinking you could applique roads and houses or farms(or whatever.) made out of scrap material onto a sheet of solid colored fabric(like an old sheet).Then just do it the same way you would any other quilt.Maybe add a way to carry it rolled up.Like this picnic blanket. I loosely used this tut for the handle.

Or even an already made blanket might work as a surface for the applqued scenes.

You could look at street scene rugs for inspiration.Here's an IKea one.
Great ideas! Thanks!!

#19 ·
You just buy vanilla beans and vodka. Cut lengthwise 8 beans and scrape out the seeds. Then cut up the beans into thirds. Put in a Mason jar. Add 1 cup vodka. Shake daily. Let brew for up to 6 mos. Strain and enjoy! (You can leave the tiny seeds in but remove the pod.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97reddodge

You can see my vanilla when I made it and at one week.

I plan on giving it for Christmas to family and friends.

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuntLavender View Post
You just buy vanilla beans and vodka. Cut lengthwise 8 beans and scrape out the seeds. Then cut up the beans into thirds. Put in a Mason jar. Add 1 cup vodka. Shake daily. Let brew for up to 6 mos. Strain and enjoy! (You can leave the tiny seeds in but remove the pod.)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97reddodge

You can see my vanilla when I made it and at one week.

I plan on giving it for Christmas to family and friends.
My mom does this and it's such a nice gift!

Last year we did lemon vodka.It was so pretty and I heard it was tasty!

#21 ·
Quote:

Great ideas! Thanks!!

Now,I've thought about it(play mat quilt) so much that I want to give it a try.But my daughter already has a scene rug and my nephew is only 2 months old.
Oh well,maybe next year.

#22 ·
Im starting to get ideas but slow to actually start them

Ds-growth chart quilt for wall, I-spy quilt, wooden truck that father in laws helping santa make

Dd-see above, see above. topsy turvy doll,
Dh-WHO KNOWS! Something knitted though he's a WAY better knitter then me

Dad/Dad's gf-Finish quilt made out of old jeans
Mil-crochet scarf out of black and pink crocheted flowers
Fil-knitted socks like his mom use to make him

Aunt-fingerless arm warmer/glove things
Uncle-?
Cousin-knitted hat with ear flaps/tassles
Dad's gfs ds-something store bought prob
Grandma-Not sure, ideas PLEASE?!?!
Best Friend-knitted or crocheted cloche hat, or a sewn frilly girly apron with cupcakes(she's a cake decorator)
Best Friend's bf-lemon vodka prob
Best guy friend/dc godfather-lemon vodka
Dh's aunts/uncles-donations to charities that represent something going onin they're lives..last year the aunt that was becoming a grandma we donated a toy to kids charity, aunt that got a dog, donation to humane society, ect.

Then fam pictures for everyone in a frame that ds will paint..that's his gift to everyone

#24 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
Im starting to get ideas but slow to actually start them

Ds-growth chart quilt for wall, I-spy quilt, wooden truck that father in laws helping santa make

Dd-see above, see above. topsy turvy doll,
Dh-WHO KNOWS! Something knitted though he's a WAY better knitter then me

Dad/Dad's gf-Finish quilt made out of old jeans
Mil-crochet scarf out of black and pink crocheted flowers
Fil-knitted socks like his mom use to make him

Aunt-fingerless arm warmer/glove things
Uncle-?
Cousin-knitted hat with ear flaps/tassles
Dad's gfs ds-something store bought prob
Grandma-Not sure, ideas PLEASE?!?!
Best Friend-knitted or crocheted cloche hat, or a sewn frilly girly apron with cupcakes(she's a cake decorator)
Best Friend's bf-lemon vodka prob
Best guy friend/dc godfather-lemon vodka
Dh's aunts/uncles-donations to charities that represent something going onin they're lives..last year the aunt that was becoming a grandma we donated a toy to kids charity, aunt that got a dog, donation to humane society, ect.

Then fam pictures for everyone in a frame that ds will paint..that's his gift to everyone
Nice list!

I hear ya on the "WHO KNOWS"for the husband.My husband is my biggest chalenge.

What about a blanket for Grandma?What is she like?What does she do?

Last year I gave my mom a gift certificate to Kiva.That might work for your charities gifts.It wasn't much but she just keeps loaning it over and over.

#25 ·
I thought of some more-

cousin's little ones-crayon roll/coloring book/tote bag for each
other cousin's little one-mabe little red ridinghood knitted doll/christmas book
dh's boss-lemon vodka

I was thinking of knitting my grandma a blanket but I quilted her a small patchwork for her last b-day which has become her fave blanket for lounging. I was thinking of sewing her up a needle holder roll...since she's constantly searching through a bag of needles to find a pair. And then something to go with it.

It wouldn't be so bad if dh wasn't such a good knitter! I know anything I knit him, he could make 10x better...I wish I was exagerating but sadly I'm not! He is an AMAZING knitter! He just has issues actually finishing anything he starts..like most knitters I know

I'm sure I'll find more people I give gifts too...so we'll see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.