In over my head? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-06-2009, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For a very beginner sewer, how difficult is it to make a dress for my baby. The most I have ever sewn is some cloth wipes yesterday. And they all didn't come out that great. BUT I do have a a slight sense of confidence in my sewing abilities. I want to tackle a dress for my DD's 1st B-day party. Would I be in over my head? Is that too big of a project to tackle?

Teagan's entertainment center.: : Mike's forever and always.
#2 of 5 Old 07-06-2009, 03:07 PM

I think it's completely doable.

It just really depends on the pattern you want to use. I would avoid anything with pintucks or gathers for a first project. A simple slip dress or A-line dress should be just fine. Go looking for patterns, several of the big pattern houses rate the patterns by difficulty level, look for that. And be sure that the direction sheet is in the envelope. Pick a pattern that you can reuse again for other purposes - like you'll make something a little nicer for her b-day, but then maybe you make some play dresses out of it, too.

Read the instructions all the way through first and post here asking any questions you have BEFORE you start. Allow yourself plenty of time to do this the first time. And I'd probably start with a play dress first out of a cheaper fabric. Once you know you can do the pattern and have worked out any kinks, then work with your nicer fabric.

Another thing to think about is fabric - don't pick anything stretchy or slippery, they make life much more difficult. Stick to a pretty woven cotton.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 5 Old 07-06-2009, 04:04 PM

Absolutely! I think you should try making an Aline dress. super easy and classic style. You can get an inexpensive pattern too. Make sure to look at the measurements on the package instead of your dd RTW size.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#4 of 5 Old 07-09-2009, 11:10 AM

You could do it! Pillowcase style dresses are fairly simple to make!

Hayden 7/06 & Ava 3/08
Missing our Angel Baby 10/17
#5 of 5 Old 07-18-2009, 09:44 PM

I agree with the others, you can do this!
But I do MUCH better with tutorials than patterns, personally.
I'd search for "simple toddler dress tute" or something similar. And practice on thrift store fabric first, just in case! Don't stress over it and have fun!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page