What pattern companies do you like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-06-2009, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any favorite pattern companies? I am just starting out and I want to make my dd some dresses. I like classic styles, dd likes full skirts that she calls dancie dresses. I am just not sure where to begin looking at patterns. Do you have favorite companies that are good for beginners to start out with. I need simple directions as I do better watching someone else instead of reading directions for spatial tasks. TIA

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#2 of 18 Old 07-06-2009, 08:34 PM

Kwik Sew is good for beginners IMO. Once you get used to that you should try some of the Euro patterns... I really love Ottobre.

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#3 of 18 Old 07-07-2009, 09:25 AM

I agree w/the pp. KS is great for beginners. Also if you get the master pattern books like KwikSew for toddlers/children you have a bunch of options and you can basically create an entire wardrobe.
I have to be honest and say I like all patterns. I hate pattern drafting so when it's already done for me, I'm in heaven. I have a crazy huge pattern collection and many of the ones I have are from Big 4 companies. I've sewed for a long time and understand how to pick out the proper sizing and how to tweak it to fit whomever I'm sewing for so I don't have a prejudice against McCall or Butterick. I subscribe to Ottobre and love it too. Although I probably make more stuff from Big 4 patterns than out of Otto. Another pattern company I like for cute kid stuff is SewBaby.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#4 of 18 Old 07-07-2009, 11:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
KwikSew and Folkwear. KwikSew serves a wider range of sewing abilities than Folkwear. And their books give you more for your money.

http://www.kwiksew.com/default2.cfm

http://www.folkwear.com/

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#5 of 18 Old 07-08-2009, 11:29 AM

Simplicity-I just got a whole bunch of patterns for 2.50 each one is for ages 6 months to 4 years-pieces include pants(can easily make shorts)/button up shirt/a-line skirt/jumper/bolero. So for 2.50 I've basically got all the pattern pieces for full wardrobes for dd and ds! pattern number is 3856-It isn't the easiest pattern out but it's not the hardest.
http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?...rs&StartRow=25

Kwik Sew is AMAZING! These maybe what your looking for. I want to make the first for dd when she's older
http://www.kwiksew.com/Catalog/cat_d...65&QL=Toddlers
http://www.kwiksew.com/Catalog/cat_d...3528&QL=Babies

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#6 of 18 Old 07-08-2009, 11:53 AM

I just jumped into patterns without having ever used them before, and I thought Butterick had the easiest to understand instructions and Simplicity the hardest, with the others ranging in between.

I'm Kellie :, married to Chris , and mom to one baby girl (7/12/09).
#7 of 18 Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 AM

Sewbaby has a twirly dress pattern:
http://www.sewbaby.com/shopbaby/prod...oducts_id=4038
Multi-sized for 2-6 yrs.

And also a 'quick and comfy dress' pattern:
http://www.sewbaby.com/shopbaby/prod...oducts_id=4023
Multi-sized for 6mo-4 yrs.

What size is your dd?

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#8 of 18 Old 07-09-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys, this is what I need. I really need simple stuff. I am spatially challenged. I can't seem to follow written directions.

I am going to look at these patterns and see if I can find one to try.

DD is about a size 110CM so a 4 going on a size 5. I tend to put her in styles that allow her to wear them a little big and then wear them for a year or two.

Off to look at patterns.

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#9 of 18 Old 07-11-2009, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
For me, it's all about Kwik Sew. I will pay 12 bucks for a boring pattern from Kwik Sew rather than pay 80 cents for a Simplicity. But I am just relearning sewing after a thirty year hiatus and so I need the extra help.
#10 of 18 Old 07-11-2009, 04:17 PM

My favorite pattern is the Children's Corner "Lucy".

I also like sewbaby.

Wife of 20 years to my superhero firefighting DH. SAHM to 2 boys and 2 girls (3 babies in Heaven- Baby # 5 5/2010 & Baby #6 8/2011 & Baby # 7 2/1013). Cancer Survivor 2011 ( Persistent Malignant Gestational Trophoblastic Disease)

#11 of 18 Old 07-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Mostly subbing b/c I am also a spatially challenged newbie. But I did want to put in a plug for this site. It has really helped me when I was trying to decide whether a pattern looked too tricky or not.

Oh, and it's interesting that so many of you hate Simplicity. A sewing instructor told me those were good, so that's what I've been buying. I don't find them to be that easy, but thought I was just not getting it. Maybe I just need a better go-to brand?
#12 of 18 Old 07-27-2009, 11:04 AM

I've been sewing off and on since high school, and Simplicity frustrates the snot out of me. I recently threw away a pattern and the cut out shirt, because I just.could.not.figure.it.out. It was making me crazy.

I have really good luck with McCall's, though. They fit me well, fit my boys well, and the instructions seem logical to me.
#13 of 18 Old 07-27-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post
I've been sewing off and on since high school, and Simplicity frustrates the snot out of me. I recently threw away a pattern and the cut out shirt, because I just.could.not.figure.it.out. It was making me crazy.

I have really good luck with McCall's, though. They fit me well, fit my boys well, and the instructions seem logical to me.

That's the very reason I love my Reader's Digest Complete sewing guide. I rarely look at the direction from the pattern, but because I understand basic construction and have some wonderful reference materials I manage to muddle through . I have almost been done in by Burda before though. I think some things were lost in translation which left me...lost. I just put the thing together the way that made sense to me, directions be darned!

#14 of 18 Old 07-28-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyS View Post

I always read the pattern directions before I start to sew but don't always them. Most of the time, the directions aren't in the same order that makes sense for me. Nor are they the simplest or fastest way to sew the garment in most cases. A good sewing book is a must for those time when the pattern absolutely doesn't make sense.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#15 of 18 Old 07-31-2009, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post
I always read the pattern directions before I start to sew but don't always them. Most of the time, the directions aren't in the same order that makes sense for me. Nor are they the simplest or fastest way to sew the garment in most cases. A good sewing book is a must for those time when the pattern absolutely doesn't make sense.
Any recs on a good sewing book for beginners?

Me+DH (2006)
DS (2005)
DD (2008)
#16 of 18 Old 07-31-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emski4379 View Post
Any recs on a good sewing book for beginners?
I like the Singer Reference Library of books--lots of clear, step by step photos with captions. Also the Simply the Best sewing book by Simplicity is good. So is the Reader's Digest sewing book (not the exact title). If you really want a sewing course in a book, get the Bishop Method of Sewing, either edition. http://www.amazon.com/Bishop-Method-.../dp/0397401302 It's dated as it went out of print in the 60s but it's the best in terms really teaching how to sew without a physical instructor.

#17 of 18 Old 07-31-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post
I like the Singer Reference Library of books--lots of clear, step by step photos with captions. Also the Simply the Best sewing book by Simplicity is good. So is the Reader's Digest sewing book (not the exact title). If you really want a sewing course in a book, get the Bishop Method of Sewing, either edition. http://www.amazon.com/Bishop-Method-.../dp/0397401302 It's dated as it went out of print in the 60s but it's the best in terms really teaching how to sew without a physical instructor.

I concur about the Bishop book. Check half.com and used stores too. I got mine at the thrift store for I thin $2.

#18 of 18 Old 08-01-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrinat View Post
I concur about the Bishop book. Check half.com and used stores too. I got mine at the thrift store for I thin $2.
I got mine from the library book store for $1.50.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page