Mothering Forum banner

Child's 1st sewing kit -need ideas please

550 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  fraya 
#1 ·
My daughters 8 year birthday is coming up. I would love to make or buy her her own sewing kit. Hearthsong used to have one but I can't find it.
I guess I'll go to the fabric store and buy a nice sewing basket and fill it with goodies. Any suggestions on fun things to put in it.
I am also buying the Klutz sewing book so she'll have ideas on things to make.
This will be so much fun - Any special ideas would help.

#3 ·
I'd include a magnetic needle safe for her to put the needles in...my 8yo dd constantly leaves needles laying around the house, in spite of pincushion. I figure if she gets them anywhere *near* the needle case they'll be *in* it. As a matter of fact, I think I'll pick one up next time I'm out.

One of those fabric markers that fades away would be nice, so she can draw out designs directly on the fabric.

When I was young someone gave me a really pretty little case for my embroidery snips, and included the appropriate-size scissors. It has been a wonderful way to tote around pointy scissors without having to worry about jabbing someone or something.

I also was given an incredibly cool little thimble holder -- it was pewter, and had a magnet that held the thimble, and a little mouse next to it.

#4 ·
As a child I once received a wonderful pin cushion from my grandmother. It was circular and had spools of thread all the way around it. It looked sort of like a sunflower (the spools being the petals & the pin cushion the center). My grandmother told me a friend of hers used to make them & they were fairly common. I loved it, until I ran out of some of the threads (and had no $$ to replace the spools), and was careless with the pins & they pushed all the way through and got stuck "inside."

Anywho...that might be something fairly simple to make for her to put in the kit.

A selection of buttons would probably be good, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.