Packing sewing stash for moving/storage - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas

We are moving the the East Coast and my sewing stash has gone from a machine to a full blown overabundance of fabric, notions, and patterns

What's the best way to organize this for a move? I WILL NOT have space for a sewing room like we do here so suggestions that double as a way to keep the goodies organized for future sewing in a small place are especially appreciated.

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#2 of 4 Old 07-14-2009, 11:31 AM

I have a set of plastic drawers for notions, etc. On rollers so it can be moved around. A clear plastic starage box for fabric would be good as you can see what's inside
#3 of 4 Old 07-14-2009, 04:46 PM

I also have a clear plastic drawer thingy to store my notions.

I use clear plastic totes with the folding lids to store my fabric. It allows me to see through to know what fabric is inside the tote!
#4 of 4 Old 07-19-2009, 12:45 AM

i moved recently with my stash. i counted i have 250 yards on hand right now. i packed them in sturdy boxes, in my case, DH had a ton of those Dell computer boxes and they are great, i line them with garbage bags and off they good.

how i arrange my stash is how i pack it. so its packed as boys knit, girls knit, woven, home deco, seasonal, etc. i had all the same boxes for easy identification..lol but obviously not necessary our stuff had to go on the plane so i had to pack it good.

i went from not having a sewing room to having a sewing room. right now i am still pretty happy with my current system. i have a 5 drawer dresser that i put my stash. i can still see it clearly and i hv an "inventory" chart on each drawer much like a patients care chart in the hospital that is hung by the edge of the bed. this system works for me since i am able to see how much i hv of a fabric right in front of the drawer instead of searching on a database or a file/paper.

good luck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page