need help with finding the right medium, and where to sell my art - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 07-27-2009, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I learned to draw on my own and I draw very well. I can do pencil portraits in a realist style. I also draw babies, in a style I created on my own, sort of a mesh between cartoon and realistic. I really have no interest in the portraits anymore, they are hard to do and time consuming. I want to draw the babies, but maybe do little gnome or fairy babies. It's kind of cutesy stuff, but I was thinking greeting cards, or art for children's rooms perhaps. I also came across this site and tried doing some pop art with a picture of my son. It turned out pretty well and I liked the results. I also have an interest in making some necklaces. I bought the resin type jewelry holders and I'd like to do some goddess/pregnant woman/or ancient symbol type stuff with that. I also heard about the type of silver you can sculpt and then fire to make pendants, and I am interested in doing that as well. So, what I do is varied and all over the place.

My first question is this: I developed the baby style by doing pencil drawings. I like the control and ability to draw smaller images I can get with pencil. I tried selling them in the past, and to do so, I scanned them into the computer and then tinted them in photoshop. That looked okay, but not quite what I am going for. I've tried colored pencil, but it's not the same and I don't like the results. Any ideas on a medium to use that will add color, but I wont have to sacrifice what I like about using pencil? I really think these images need color to be able to sell.

My second question is: Where do I sell my work? I will be entering college this fall and will not have time to devote to going to art shows or anything. I am thinking online, but, I have a cafepress shop that does nothing. I was thinking Etsy, or Hyena Cart, any suggestions? What can I do to market once I do have a shop?

My third question is: Should I focus on one thing, or do all the things that interest me and see what sells? How would I do the pop art thing? Is that possible on a place like etsy, to have people send me photos? Should I treat it like photography, where I price different sizes separately, or sell it is one file? Would something like that even sell in a photograph size, as opposed to a large canvas?

Thanks for any info that you can give. Dh and I both are starting college in the fall and we need some extra money. If I can make this work, it would be a great way to supplement our income because I can do it in my spare time, and also art work would be a great balance to all the academic work I will be doing. Thanks.
#2 of 4 Old 07-28-2009, 06:29 AM

Way too many questions for one post. This a fabulous parenting forum. You need to go to wet canvas and post there. No, read, read, read... you will find your answers, then post!

Doing art "in your spare time" is one thing - a fantastic thing. But selling it, is a full-time job. If you make art, even great art, people do not just magically appear on your doorstep trying to buy it. (And if they do, it is a vanity gallery or scam.) I'm not trying to be a pita, I am being honest though.
#3 of 4 Old 07-28-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonR View Post
Way too many questions for one post. This a fabulous parenting forum. You need to go to wet canvas and post there. No, read, read, read... you will find your answers, then post!

Doing art "in your spare time" is one thing - a fantastic thing. But selling it, is a full-time job. If you make art, even great art, people do not just magically appear on your doorstep trying to buy it. (And if they do, it is a vanity gallery or scam.) I'm not trying to be a pita, I am being honest though.
Three questions are too many for one post? I guess I'll try to limit my posts in this forum to one question if that is what you all prefer.

And yeah, I am well aware that people are not just going to show up at my door to buy my art. I've been creating art since I was a small child, and though people have come to me to commission portraits, for the most part, I don't get anyone just offering to buy my stuff. Did I give the impression that I thought that would occur? I am asking here how to go about marketing and selling artwork because I don't know how to do it, but of course I do know that one has to do it. I'm not looking for a full time job, I just want to make enough for a little extra each month. My DH has the full time job, I just need to supplement our income a bit - I thought I made that clear.
#4 of 4 Old 09-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Banned

1) Oil pastels.

2) Etsy. But you have to advertise to people!

3) Have drawings available immediately in different categories. Also be willing to do custom commissions and to charge by the face for portraits as well as the finished size of the overall piece.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page