cut or rip? - Mothering Forums
Arts & Crafts > cut or rip?
Therese's Mommy's Avatar Therese's Mommy 05:24 PM 07-29-2009
Which do you prefer? My quilting teacher always had us rip and I tend to do that when I need a straight cut, but just wonder what others do.

Beth

KariM's Avatar KariM 07:47 PM 07-29-2009
I've never tried ripping, to be honest! Hadn't considered it as an option since I was taught to cut. But then again, when using commercial sewing patterns cutting is a bit easier than ripping.
Therese's Mommy's Avatar Therese's Mommy 07:54 PM 07-29-2009
Right, for most patterns cutting is essential. But when I make things like napkins, placemats, tablecloths, and even a skort that I have made for dd#1 I have ripped because the pieces are just rectangles.
rubelin's Avatar rubelin 06:15 PM 07-30-2009
for anything that's gonna be a single layer rectangular, I rip. If the grain is really funky, or the design doesn't match the grain properly or it will be fused to a backing first, I cut with my rotary cutter and straight edge.

Of course, I lurve ripping fabric, it's one of my favorite things ever
KristyDi's Avatar KristyDi 06:20 PM 08-02-2009
If ripping is an option, I rip. Of course some fabrics don't rip well and you can't rip anythigng with curves.
spmamma's Avatar spmamma 05:29 PM 08-03-2009
It never even occurred to me to rip! I always cut and rely quite heavily on my rotary cutter for straight lines.
Think of Winter's Avatar Think of Winter 03:08 PM 08-04-2009
I prefer to rip to block my fabric after washing and before cutting (to make sure the crosswise grain is straight across the top of the fabric), and I cut out my pattern pieces.
lightheart's Avatar lightheart 04:55 AM 08-06-2009
Like the PP I rip after I wash to get a good straight of grain but after that I usually use my rotary cutter and a ruler to cut my quilt pieces until I see that my fabric is getting way off grain, then I rip a small piece to even it up again and go back to the rotary cutter.
Up